Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th October 2015, 04:10 PM   #1
Miguel

Default Turkish Kilij

Hi Everyone,
Could anyone please tell me if this is a Turkish Kilij or Pala with an approximate idea of its age and if your eyes are sharp enough what it says in the worn gold cartouches.
Thanking you in advance.
Miguel
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2015, 07:22 PM   #2
A.alnakkas

Nice sword.

I think the blade is a Qajar interpretation of the Pala. The hilt looks very new though.

blade could use a polish :-)
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 12:13 PM   #3
ALEX

I agree, Persian/Qajar period (19th C?) sword made in Ottoman form, also called Revival sword as it imitates earlier blades. They could be wootz, so certainly could use a polish and etch) Nice blade indeed, the cross/hilt is new(er) of course. The cartouches are similar to THIS , which is mid-18th Century. Miguel, try to compare cartouches, hard to see but could be the same maker.
Attached Images

Last edited by ALEX; 19th October 2015 at 02:25 PM.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015, 07:15 PM   #4
Miguel

Thanks A alnakkas and Alex for your informative replies. I agree with both of you with regard to the Hilt and blade cleaning but to be honest I like the blade as it is, I cant really put my finger on it but I just do. Alex I do believe that the inscriptions in the cartouches match, does this mean t the blade is earlier than you thought or just that it has been copied? Thanks again to both of you for passing on some of your knowledge I think the members of this forum are great.
Best regards
Miguel
Old 19th October 2015, 08:07 PM   #5
ALEX

Miguel, if the cartouches match, there is no reason to believe the blade is not earlier, i.e. early Qajar. The blade is authentic, I see no reason to believe the cartouche is a copy either. It is a very nice blade.
Cleaning/etching is optional of course, up to owner. It still looks great as it is, its just some would be too tempted to test for wootz and bring it up to light)
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2015, 06:47 PM   #6
Miguel

Hi Alex
I must admit that I have been tempted in the past but thought better of it as I did not wish to make a mess of it and now I like it as it is.
Miguel
Old 20th October 2015, 07:23 PM   #7
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Nice sword.

I think the blade is a Qajar interpretation of the Pala. The hilt looks very new though.

blade could use a polish :-)
Hi A. alnakkas,
I wonder if you have seen Alex`s reply that shows the cartouches and if so is it possible for you to translate what they say, if so I would be most grateful.
Miguel