Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 30th September 2009, 02:14 PM   #31
Gustav

Some more pictures of royal keris from a museum in Sumbawa.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gustav; 30th September 2009 at 02:25 PM.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 02:15 PM   #32
Gustav

And more... Sorry, one picture is showed twice. There are two keris.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gustav; 30th September 2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 30th September 2009, 06:46 PM   #33
Marcokeris

They seems awesome
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 03:07 AM   #34
ferrylaki

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
They seems awesome
WOW
ferrylaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:06 PM   #35
Gustav

Default A request

Dear All,

were it possible for somebody, who speaks Bahasa, to translate this to English (if it has some worth at all): http://www.sumbawanews.com/sumbawa/s...s-sumbawa.html

Were it possible for somebody, who knows about the history and culture of Sumbawa to write down a brief (or longer) summary for others?

I think, it were absolutely necessary, in other case we are really in a dead end with this subject.
Old 4th October 2009, 03:29 AM   #36
sipakatuo

Keris Bugis Sumbawa and or Keris Bugis Bima

Dear All

Dynasty of Bima and Dynasty of Gowa have special relationships that last for almost 200 years. It all started in 1616 when Sultan of Bima name Sultan Abdul Khair went to Gowa and learnt Islam. He then married to a princes of Gowa, daughter of Sultan Maliku Said. Sultan Abdul Khair helped Gowa against VOC. He also very close to his Brother in Law name Sultan Hasanudin (I Malombasi Daeng Matawang) Even in the treaty of Bongaya it also stated about Bima as alliance of Gowa. Therefore, it is not surprising to me to see Keris Bugis Makassar also exist in Bima and Sumbawa. It is also mentioned in your (Gustav) link that there were Pande Besi (Smiths) lived in Penana Village in Bima who produced Keris and other traditional weapons. Not only Malacca, Palembang, Batavia, Cirebon, Demak, Tuban, and Makassar who plays important ports. Sumbawa and Bima also considered as important ports between 16 to 18 century. It is also mentioned that Swords from Sumbawa was traded in Palembang. This is also not surprising to me when I see Sword from Palembang has the same model in Bima/Sumbawa. Sultan of Sumbawa and Sultan/Arung from Bugis like to share gifts in form of Tappi (Keris), Alameng (Sword), or Bessi (Spear). As Alan mentioned earlier that in Kupang/Flores also exist Keris Smith known to be Keris Kupang with typical Besi Masir. It is the same like Keris Bugis Sumbawa and or Bima most have identical iron. I found Keris Bugis Sumbawa and or Bima have more variety in shapes, the pamor also nicely constructed compare to Keris Bugis Sulawesi. Since Sulawesi has its own iron mining deposited in Luwu, the local smiths like to use iron from Luwu to make weapons. Besi Luwu is rich in nickel therefore keris originated from Sulawesi is slightly different in material compare to keris from Sumbawa and or Bima although sometimes the shape is identical like Tappi Sapukala (Keris Sepokal). I believe as collectors we are aware that Besi Luwu is long traded in Nusantara and also used as bahan pamor in other regions. Therefore, you can see pamor keris from other regions made from besi Luwu. The Bugis influence is strong in Sumbawa, Bima, Sumatra, Kalimantan, and Semenanjung. It shows in the model of Wanua (Warangka) where they adopt boat shape typical form exist in Sulawesi although some are slightly different. You might be confuse when you see a boat shape warangka and your guess the keris is from Sulawesi but when you see the bilah it is very Javanese or Semenanjung. Again, outside look can be similar but inside (the bilah) is totally different because it has been adjusted to the local pattern. I like to add Bugis before the region, eg. Keris Bugis Sumbawa. Why?, because in the outside look (Warangka) is similar to real Bugis (Sulawesi) but in fact in the inside it is Sumbawa.

I am researching and examining, finding facts and datas of keris bugis spread in Nusantara for the last few years and hopefully with the support from friends in Vikingsword I am able to release a book about Keris Bugis sometimes early next year.

Thank you

Andi M. Irvan Zulfikar a.k.a. Sipakatuo
sipakatuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 08:54 AM   #37
Jean

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipakatuo
Keris Bugis Sumbawa and or Keris Bugis Bima

I am researching and examining, finding facts and datas of keris bugis spread in Nusantara for the last few years and hopefully with the support from friends in Vikingsword I am able to release a book about Keris Bugis sometimes early next year.

Thank you

Andi M. Irvan Zulfikar a.k.a. Sipakatuo
Dear Sipakatuo,
It is very good news to hear about your project to write a book about keris Bugis in Nusantara as the knowledge about these krisses is very much lacking, I already reserve my copy!
Best regards
Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 10:31 AM   #38
Gustav

Dear Sipakatuo,

thank you very much for the interesting post.
Old 4th October 2009, 12:15 PM   #39
Sajen

Dear Sipakatuo,

very interesting post and you will have all my assistance for your book!

sajen
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 03:32 PM   #40
Sajen

Hello Sipakatuo,

maybe you can enlighten me about this keris. I collect it 1994 in a antique shop on Bali in very bad condition. Someone with good knowledge assumed that it is maybe a Sumbawa keris. What I never have seen before and after is that this keris have a mendak and selut, two pieces from different metal. All other comments are also very welcome, special about dapur and pamor.
Attached Images

Old 5th October 2009, 04:23 PM   #41
David
Keris forum moderator

I can't speak to the origin, but IMO this uwer was probably added on by someone in Bali. It looks awkward with the keris and i don't think it really belongs there.
David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 04:39 PM   #42
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I can't speak to the origin, but IMO this uwer was probably added on by someone in Bali. It looks awkward with the keris and i don't think it really belongs there.

Hello David,

thank's for the comment, but I think when not original then already long together with the keris. I found it in very, very bad condition, heavily rusted and I have had big problems to open the hilt from the blade. And mendak and selut have been agglomerate heavily together. The hilt was fixed with hair to the blade and I think that this is a old manner to fix the hilt to the blade.

Detlef
Old 5th October 2009, 05:33 PM   #43
Sajen

Here some additional pictures of the mendak and the worn and repaired selut.
Attached Images

Old 6th October 2009, 01:33 AM   #44
A. G. Maisey

This is an outline of the article in Gustav's link (post 35).

It is not a word for word translation, some of it has been précised, and that which has been translated is not precise and absolutely correct, it is only translated direct in the form I understand it without the necessary fine tuning, and as fast as I could type it. But it has the guts of what has been said.

It starts by giving names used for the keris in various places, then it tells the first places and times when the word "keris" was first appears. It states that the keris was already fully developed by the time of Majapahit and it spread from Majapahit to other localities.

Sumbawa is occupied by two ethnic groups:- those in the Eastern part of the island who are the Mbojo, and those in the western part of the island who are the Sumawa. The keris of both ethnic groups are indistinguishable, they resemble the keris of Southern Sulawesi, that is, Bugis keris. Thus it can be deduced that the keris entered Sumbawa by way of the north, from Sulawesi.

In the village of Penana near Bima in the eastern part of the island there were still pandai besi into the 20th century who could make keris.

Following is a rough translation of text specific to keris Sumbawa:-

Form and Style of Sumbawa Keris
PARA 5
The length of Sumbawa keris is only about 34-51cm, thus they are shorter than keris Jawa which are 49-51 cm. Keris Sumawa and keris Mbojo are similar. Keris with a high degree of ornamentation are called keris tatarapang. Keris tatarapang owned by the Bima Sultanate are named Lasmpraja, owned by the Dompu Sultanate are named Balaba; whilst owned by the Sumawa Sultanate are named Baruwayat. With this type of keris the entire wrangka is covered in embossed silver or gold. In the Sumbawa region especially the Kabupaten of Bima there are also keris that are a normal length that are called Saronggi. There are also big keris that are called Sunda, that are worn by employees of the Bima Sultanate in previous times. The pamor of Sumbawa keris doesn't have much variation and is unclear. It is thought that keris Sumbawa use pamor from Sualwesi South , not pamor from meteor but from iron.

PARA 6
The blade of Sumbawa keris has two forms:- straight and waved. Number of waves is from 3 to 15. Usually the pamor motifs are the same as in Jawa. There's a bit of difference, for example, pamor kalisu in keris Bima is known as pamor mailut in Jawa.

PARA 7
Hilts of Sumbawa keris have the shape of a wide tail, a birds head, and a snake, normally made of wood, ivory or bone, that are used by ordinary people. Hilts in the form of Bima are only used on keris tataparang held by the Sultan of Bima. Hilts in the form of the raksasa Niwata Kawaca are only used by guards in charge of border security. Hilts in the shape of Garuda are used by officials of the Manggapo Dongo sect , whilst hilts of naga form are used by officials of the Bilmana sect, and hilts with the form of people sitting are used by religious leaders.
PARA8
Mendak and selut are made from soft metal such as gold, silver, copper, brass.Mendak are shaped round like a ring and placed between the ganja and the hilt. The selut is round and smooth, encloses the base of the hilt , and meets the mendak. Keris Sumbawa use mendak that are one with the selut, which are named kili-kili, that are ornamented with the pattern of tumpal, sulur, bunga, geometric, made with the technique of soldering or embossing.
PARA 9
In olden times keris ornamented in gold could only be used by palace nobles, and ordinary people could only use ornamentation from silver. Ornamentation of Sumbawa keris covers the entire scabbard

The function of keris for the people of Sumbawa.
PARA 10
In Bima and Dompu which are the same ethnic group and which occupy the eastern part of the island of Sumbawa, there is a tradition to present a keris to men who have been circumcised. This tradition is named compo sampiri, which still continues until now. A child who has already been given the keris (compo) and his elder brother (sampii) the say :- "I am a brave man who is prepared to guard and defend myself
PARA 11
For the people of Sumbawa who still fulfil religious and spiritual rituals , keris are still used, for example for the ceremony of circumcision and for weddings.(The keris completes the dress.) The way the keris is worn in Sumbawa is at the waist at the right side, and is called salongi in Mbojo, and bagadu in Sumbawa
PARA 12
In the Sultanate of Bima keris tatarapang are a symbol of the power of the Sultan, so that when the power of the sultanate is transferred the symbol is to transfer the keris. Keris are also used as a symbol of social status by way of the hilt or ornamentation.
THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE I HAD DIFFICULTY WITH:-
Pada upacara sorong serah aji karma, pembayu membawa salah satu unsure arta gegawan berupa keris yang disebut kao tindoq (kerbau tidur), yang melambangkan keamanan dan ketentraman.
I understand this as :-
In the sorong serah aji karma ceremony, the first born carries a weapon in the form of a keris which is called kao tindoq (sleeping buffalo) which symbolizes safety and calm.
My wife, who is Indonesian, understands the sentence as:-
In the sorong serah aji karma ceremony, (a particular type of Kraton servant) carries a weapon in the form of a keris which is called kao tindoq (sleeping buffalo) which symbolizes safety and calm.
We could both be wrong, as this sentence is not written in standard Indonesian, nor in Javanese.
PARA 13
Keris also have the function of providing magic power and spiritual power, also to help raise self confidence, cure sickness, protect against pests, protect against interference from magic or evil spirits, also to help find good luck.
PARA 14
Because the people of Sumbawa still hold strongly to tradition and do not consider this to be in conflict with religious standards, the keris still has a place in the complete dress, and is considered essential for formal dress. Keris are regarded as an inheritance from ancestors which are able to be valued as an expression of ideas with values of art, philosophy, technolgie, symbolism, an object of worship(probably "respect" is more correct), also a thing of science and culture.
PARA 15
At the present time almost all the forms and styles of the various keris of the Island of Sumbawa are held in the collection of the Museum Negeri Propinsi Nusa Tenggara Barat in Mataram, there are more than 100 keris as examples.These keris come from the Samawa ethnic group the Mbojo ethnic group on the Island of Sumbawa.

(Drs Sunarno Sastroatmojo--- Asdep Konservasi & Pemeliharaan/Proyek Pemanfaatan Kebudayaan)
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 04:45 AM   #45
David
Keris forum moderator

Alan, i would like to thank you (and your wife) for taking the time to translate this article for all our benefit.
David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 08:29 AM   #46
A. G. Maisey

My pleasure.

Not a big job, nor a difficult one.I actually fitted it in between matches on a borrowed laptop, then cleaned it up a bit this morning before posting it.
Old 6th October 2009, 10:56 PM   #47
Gustav

Alan, many thanks for the transkription, with some very interesting material.

Some most primitive information about history of Sumbawa.

In fact, Sumbawa is actually two islands. Locals refer only to the western half as Sumbawa, the east is Bima. There was a mutual ignorance between those islands, the first marriage between the royal houses have take place in year 1929.
Sumbawa Besar has been influenced by Lombok, with a language reminiscent of Sasak people (Lombok), whilst language of Bima is more akin to that spoken in Flores.

In the golden time of Gelgel kingdom of Bali, in the mid of 16 century, Lombok, West Sumbawa (and Blambangan in East Jawa) are said to have come under Gelgel's suzerainity (There are Portuguese and Dutch sources about this period). The Gelgel kingdom was treatened by the sea oriented Makassar kingdom in c. 1619, which deprived it of its interests in Sumbawa and parts of Lombok.

But there are treatements between VOC and Sumbawa (probably kingdoms of the Western part), the first from 1674.

For me a very interesting part from the gloss is that one about the hilt forms. There must be a plenty of figural hilt forms, which is not much expected in a islamic territory. Is this a stronger Bali/Lombok influence as thoght?

I will post two pictures: of the royal Keris of Bima from 1634 (also islamic period), with the description given in "Court arts of Indonesia", and a famous Keris, which is in dutch posession from middle 18 century. Van Zonneveld attributes it to Makassar, pre-islamic period (probably becouse of the figural hilt). He writes: "it seems probable that this Keris had not been made recently (18 cent.) and had come into the posession of VOC in connection with the upheavals in Makassar in 1666-1669."

Both hilts are depicting Bima. The blade of the Makassar(?) Keris looks strong Bali influenced to me.

Now the description for the Keris from Bima:

State Kris, Tatarapa Sangajikai or Samparaja.

The precise date of this pusaka kris, one of the three objects essential for the legitimization of the Sultans of Bima is contained in the cryptic symbols of a chronogram (candra sangkala). The influence of South Sulawesi, which had a hegemony over Bima and Sumbawa, is apparent in the syle of wrangka with its squared gayaman top, flaring flattened bottom, its diagonal motif and its braided gold hanging loops. The influence of Bali, which dominated the nearby island of Lombok, is also apparent in the anthropomorfic grip representing a Bima figure. This image invokes the protection of the wayang warrior prince who in Bimanese legend was the founder of the kingdom. The blades of Bimanese krises were made in Java and taken to South Sulawesi, where the the tangs were cut short to enable them to fit into Sulawesi grips that turn out at a much sharper angle than those made in Java (to this I have a question how old the kerdas form is). Although this sheath is of Sulawesian style it might have been made in Bima since it shows signs of the Balinese craftsmanship that influenced Bimanese smiths (!). The red staining is characteristic of Bima, but it can also be found on Sumatran and Sulawesian objects.

I have some problems to attach the scanned pictures. Will follow later.
Old 7th October 2009, 04:16 AM   #48
sipakatuo

Thanks Gustav, Sajen, Alan, and etc.

Please find attached, comparison of Keris Lombok (similar to Bali) and Sumbawa (similar to Bugis Sulawesi).

Below pictures taken from a book called, 'Bentuk dan Gaya Keris Nusa Tenggara Barat, issued by the Department of Education and Culture, Directorate Jendral of Culture, Project Museum of Nusa Tenggara Barat 1994/1995."

It also mentioned about Pande Besi who are concentrated in the area of PenanaE and Sekarbela. So yes, I would say there were Pande Besi exist in Nusa Tenggara Barat. One of the tradition stated that Sultan of Bima gather Pande Besi from Lombok and Sumbawa when making a Keris.

Keris from Nusa Tenggara Barat heavyly influenced by Bugis Makasar and Bali. The culture of Keris entered the island from West (Bali) and from North (Sulawesi).

It also stated Besi/Iron imported from Luwu used as a material in Keris making.
Attached Images

Old 7th October 2009, 04:26 AM   #49
sipakatuo

Continue...
Attached Images

Old 7th October 2009, 04:40 AM   #50
sipakatuo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Sipakatuo,

maybe you can enlighten me about this keris. I collect it 1994 in a antique shop on Bali in very bad condition. Someone with good knowledge assumed that it is maybe a Sumbawa keris. What I never have seen before and after is that this keris have a mendak and selut, two pieces from different metal. All other comments are also very welcome, special about dapur and pamor.
Hello Sajen

IMHO yours is Sumbawa but the kili-kili/mendak is a mixture. The top part is usually found in Sumatra. Don't be surprise although yours is a replacement, that kind of mendak also exist in Nusa Tenggara Barat. I will post to this forum a Keris typical Sumatra found in NTB. There used to be a large number of Sumatran exiled to NTB and served as Moslem Kiyai/Ulama/Priest along with their family. Kampung Melayu/Melayu Village do exist in Bima and the Sultan of Bima very respect to this people.

Last edited by sipakatuo; 7th October 2009 at 05:27 AM.
Old 7th October 2009, 05:25 AM   #51
sipakatuo

End.
Attached Images

Old 7th October 2009, 09:46 AM   #52
Gustav

Sipakatuo, thank you very much.

A very nice and interesting pamor work on your blade.

I apologize for my very stupid mistake in the previous post. Sumbawa is one island, consisting of two land areas, joined by an isthmus.

There the two pictures, royal keris of Bima (1634) and a keris, attributed to Makassar(?), with figural hilts depicting Bima.

(Note the small gambar.)
Attached Images

Last edited by Gustav; 7th October 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 7th October 2009, 12:20 PM   #53
sipakatuo

Thank you Gustav for the pictures. IMHO it is originaly Bima not Maccasar. The form of Keris Tatarapeng (Gold Warangka) is made for high status person (King/Nobilty) the same apply in Sulawesi. This kind of Keris do exist in Sulawesi but normaly for Dynasty heirloom, exchange gifts between dynasties. NTB and NTT produced gold (have gold mining in Sekoteng and Tobedo) and people in certaint area in Lombok are well known to make nice warangka from Gold. The skills passed from generations.
Old 7th October 2009, 01:08 PM   #54
A. G. Maisey

In Gustav's post, the Makassar keris is the gold one on the right hand side.

It is an early and well documented keris.

Here is the text that accompanies the photograph in Albert van Zonneveld's book.
Attached Images

Old 7th October 2009, 01:37 PM   #55
sipakatuo

Thanks Alan for adding the info. I have seen it myself during the cleansing of Pusaka Kerajaan Gowa and Bone which I have documented (pictures and video). I will post some of the pictures here. The Tatarapang that now in Gowa is actually a gift from Kerajaan Demak (exchange). I am agree with Zooneveld that it is not certain that the blade was made in Bugis. I have been in and out of Sulawesi few times visiting village to village seeing panre bessie (Pande Besi) and saw few people who own kerisses and none have the same keris like Gustav has posted. The shape and the style are out of Sulawesi.
Old 7th October 2009, 02:20 PM   #56
sipakatuo

Kalompoang

Procession of Cleansing Gowa's Heirlooms in South Sulawesi.

I am sorry for the poor quality of the pictures, I have to reduce/compress the size.

Just a small number of pictures to share.
Attached Images

Old 7th October 2009, 02:24 PM   #57
sipakatuo

Tatarapeng of Gowa,

A gift, symbol of friendship from Raden Patah, Dynasty of Demak to Dynasty of Gowa.
Attached Images

Old 7th October 2009, 02:39 PM   #58
Sajen

Thank you Gustav, Alan and Sipakatuo for all this great informations and work, it is very interesting thread.

sajen
Old 7th October 2009, 02:51 PM   #59
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipakatuo
Hello Sajen

IMHO yours is Sumbawa but the kili-kili/mendak is a mixture. The top part is usually found in Sumatra. Don't be surprise although yours is a replacement, that kind of mendak also exist in Nusa Tenggara Barat. I will post to this forum a Keris typical Sumatra found in NTB. There used to be a large number of Sumatran exiled to NTB and served as Moslem Kiyai/Ulama/Priest along with their family. Kampung Melayu/Melayu Village do exist in Bima and the Sultan of Bima very respect to this people.

Hello Sipakatuo,

thank you very much. So which specifics let you think that this is a Sumbawa keris? The keris you show have indeed a very similar selut/pendokok. But what is with extra mendak? I am sure that the hilt, pendokok and mendak very long together with the blade.

sajen
Old 1st November 2009, 04:41 PM   #60
Gustav

Dear All,

an interesting article about Keris Sumbawa:http://images.simatua.multiply.multi...?nmid=90251283