Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th March 2006, 06:28 AM   #1
Titus Pullo

I wonder if there are more examples of well made and crafted Siamese swords and polearms? I know there are some that are made well; I've seen pictures of the museum collections. But I like to see though. I know that in Thai believes...when you do something, do it well and focus...don't slack off, and if you don't feel like doing it, don't it at all. You see this reflected upon the arts and crafts of Thailand, and even in the Thai martial art and military strategies. If you attack your enemies, make sure it is well planed and that you can defeat them...this is also true with Krabi-krabong (or Muay Thai), which required strength, speed, and stamana to out last and defeat your enemies. I hope you people like my insight into the Siamese cultures! Oh, yeah...I almost forgot...and also...do it proudly, with conviction! This reminds of the Samurais and the Romans.

Last edited by Titus Pullo; 14th March 2006 at 06:41 AM.
Titus Pullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 03:17 PM   #2
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo
I wonder if there are more examples of well made and crafted Siamese swords and polearms? I know there are some that are made well; I've seen pictures of the museum collections. But I like to see though.
Dude. Try using the search feature here and in the archives.

Also, take a look at Mark's site: http://dharesearch.bowditch.us/
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 03:25 PM   #3
Mark

Talking Thai daab

Quote:
I wonder if there are more examples of well made and crafted Siamese swords and polearms? I know there are some that are made well; I've seen pictures of the museum collections. But I like to see though. I know that in Thai believes...when you do something, do it well and focus...don't slack off, and if you don't feel like doing it, don't it at all. You see this reflected upon the arts and crafts of Thailand, and even in the Thai martial art and military strategies. If you attack your enemies, make sure it is well planed and that you can defeat them...this is also true with Krabi-krabong (or Muay Thai), which required strength, speed, and stamana to out last and defeat your enemies. I hope you people like my insight into the Siamese cultures! Oh, yeah...I almost forgot...and also...do it proudly, with conviction! This reminds of the Samurais and the Romans.
Hooo boy, now you've started a flood! But you asked for it ....

Thai:

more to follow ....
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2006, 03:26 PM   #4
Mark

Talking Shan dha

Shan (also a Tai people):

more to follow ...
Old 14th March 2006, 03:27 PM   #5
Mark

Talking Kachin dao

Kachin:

Attached Images

Old 14th March 2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Mark

Talking Burmese dha

Burmese:

The Dhafia has spoken! Fuhgeddaboudit.
Old 14th March 2006, 06:07 PM   #7
Titus Pullo

Wow! Thank you!
Old 15th March 2006, 12:39 AM   #8
RhysMichael

Mark
You left out one of my favorites in your collection.
http://dharesearch.bowditch.us/0016.htm
I do not know what it is about this sword but I something in the way it looks and more importantly feels speaks to me
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2006, 02:17 AM   #9
Mark

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysMichael
Mark
You left out one of my favorites in your collection.
http://dharesearch.bowditch.us/0016.htm
I do not know what it is about this sword but I something in the way it looks and more importantly feels speaks to me

That one is my favorite, too. You are right about the feel. This dha truly feels "alive" in the hand. Its the first one I ever bought, too, which makes it even more special.
Old 15th March 2006, 05:25 AM   #10
Titus Pullo

Is the site, that shows the collection of daabs, both of you guys'? That is awesome! Are those antiques? It must worth thousands of dollars then! Did you know that a Burmese commander was killed buy an Ayutthayan soldier, the king's royal guards? He was cut from the shoulder to the waist. For all we know, one of your swords may be that sword used buy him.
Old 15th March 2006, 07:47 AM   #11
Titus Pullo

Thanks for the info...PUFF! Correctly me if I'm wrong...but...isn't Rattanakosin era the decline in Siamese arts and...also cultures as a whole? The Burmese had laid waste to the great Ayutthaya and taken many captives with them...among them were artists, architecturers, Muay Thai fighters, and also black smiths. Isn't this right?
Old 15th March 2006, 04:01 PM   #12
Mark

Great information, Puff. Your direct knowledge of Thai swords and techniques is wonderful to have.

Titus, the dha on my web site come from a large number of kind contributors, as well as from my own collection. The first ones, without a "C" prefix to the number, are my own. The others, designated with a number "C####" are ones contributed by other collectors.

You can see the rings Puff refers to in the bottom two swords in the post of Thai daab, and in the third sword in the post of Shan dha. In the Thai post, the swords date, from top to bottom, Ayutthaya period (probably somewhere in the middle, the 15th-16th century we are told), Lanna (northern Tai, no firm date), Lanna (same), Rattanakosin period (1768-present, this one probably 19th C), and Rattanakosin period but in the style of the Ayutthaya period.

I do not think that the Rattanakosin period can be said to be one of decline. You are correct that it followed the destruction of Ayutthaya by the Burmese, which naturally caused a set-back culturally speaking, since energies were devoted to re-building the country. But very quickly the Chakra kings revived and reinvigorated Thai culture and the arts, including the martial arts. As you can see from just the two swords I posted, they lost little or nothing in terms of swordmaking and silversmithing expertise.
Old 15th March 2006, 04:26 PM   #13
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Sword inflation

Titus:

Just to add to Mark's comments. The swords on the Dha Index come from several collections, and some of these have been acquired over many years of collecting. In toto there probably is a large sum of money represented by the dha shown there, but remember prices have not been as inflated as we see today. It was possible not too long ago to acquire high end dha for less than $500, sometimes less than $200 if one was very lucky. Now the high end dha are generally selling for more than twice that amount. We have seen this cycle of excalating prices among other swords previously, and dha just seem to be following the trend set by Japanese swords and those of Islamic areas.

From a monetary perspective, I suppose the trick is to find the next area of rapid appreciation in swords. Your guess is as good as mine or anyone else's.

Ian.

Quote:
Is the site, that shows the collection of daabs, both of you guys'? That is awesome! Are those antiques? It must worth thousands of dollars then! Did you know that a Burmese commander was killed buy an Ayutthayan soldier, the king's royal guards? He was cut from the shoulder to the waist. For all we know, one of your swords may be that sword used buy him.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2006, 10:11 PM   #14
Tim Simmons

I just have to add this one.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2006, 10:53 PM   #15
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
I just have to add this one.
Ack! You're just torturing me now, Tim.
Old 15th March 2006, 11:44 PM   #16
Andrew

I think Titus is primarily interested in Thai swords. Here are some from my collection which others have seen before (probably ad naseaum ):

Sword and photo courtesy of Oriental-Arms:
Attached Images

Old 15th March 2006, 11:54 PM   #17
Andrew

Cool

Some more:

Old 16th March 2006, 01:48 AM   #18
RhysMichael

These have been seen but I am adding them anyway to show some of the diversity in dha

Old 16th March 2006, 02:32 AM   #19
Mark

Are you bringing anything up to Timmonium this year, JT? I'd love to get a close look at the one with the amethyst pommel (or another one, at any rate ), and any others, too. I can't tote up the whole load, but I'll have a few things to show around.
Old 16th March 2006, 02:28 PM   #20
RhysMichael

I was going to bring the Aceh swords this year but I can certainly bring the one with the amethyst pommel also.