Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th January 2014, 01:00 AM   #1
driftwould

Location: Currently, Taiwan. Previously China for 6 years. Speak and read 中文 well.
Default Philippine Mountain Spear, Central Pinay Island

Hi all! I'm back from the Philippines and while I had trouble finding any collectible blades, I did manage to acquire a spear that's reputed to be about 100 years old. It's not a beautiful piece by any standard, but it's got character and history and I'd like to know what you think of it.

The first picture shows the original owner, the 4th or 5th or so in an unbroken chain back to its maker, and my local guide/interpreter. I acquired it in a remote village in the the central mountains of Pinay. It was about 20 years old when it was used to fight the Japanese during their occupation in WWII, hence the estimate of 1910 or so. For provenance, and because of my love of history, I also got a video of the owner describing it and its history in his language, translated into English by my interpreter. Of course, I can't post that here, but for me, having an actual link to its history is the most important part of any piece I collect.

I don't know anything about spears, so I'd like to know how common this kind of thing is, as well as if and how to restore the rusty metal parts without losing its character, and how best to care for it. And of course, I'd love to know what you can tell about its origins! Any other thoughts or insights would be appreciated as well.

Hope you like it!
Attached Images

Last edited by driftwould; 11th January 2014 at 04:53 AM.
driftwould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 01:02 AM   #2
driftwould

Location: Currently, Taiwan. Previously China for 6 years. Speak and read 中文 well.
Default Grr...

Despite my best efforts, that pic is STILL sideways!
Old 11th January 2014, 03:08 AM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Interesting! Never seen a spear from this area before. Great though that you got such research and provenance!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 03:29 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Driftwould, go ahead and post the photo and I will try to straighten it out for you.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 04:48 AM   #5
driftwould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Interesting! Never seen a spear from this area before. Great though that you got such research and provenance!

I got photos of another much bigger one from the same place if you're interested in seeing them. Unfortunately, they didn't want to sell it.
Old 11th January 2014, 04:50 AM   #6
driftwould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Driftwould, go ahead and post the photo and I will try to straighten it out for you.

Robert

Thanks, I managed to figure it out. It's up there now!
Old 11th January 2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Spunjer

There are two indigenous tribes in Panay: the Itas and Bukidnons. I've never heard or seen Panay Itas with Spears (although their Luzon cousins do carry bow and arrows), we can safely surmise that this piece could be that of a Bukidnon (or Mondo). Bukidnons live in the Highlands of Panay. When I was there, I went to Museo Iloilo. They have a few Spears on display. Type in "Mondo" in the search space and you will see photos I posted for comparison. Btw, the colloquial term is "bangkaw" pronounced bang-cow). Wish I could hear the interview. Been awhile since I've heard my dialect (assuming it's in hiligaynon)...
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2014, 01:37 PM   #8
driftwould

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
There are two indigenous tribes in Panay: the Itas and Bukidnons. I've never heard or seen Panay Itas with Spears (although their Luzon cousins do carry bow and arrows), we can safely surmise that this piece could be that of a Bukidnon (or Mondo). Bukidnons live in the Highlands of Panay. When I was there, I went to Museo Iloilo. They have a few Spears on display. Type in "Mondo" in the search space and you will see photos I posted for comparison. Btw, the colloquial term is "bangkaw" pronounced bang-cow). Wish I could hear the interview. Been awhile since I've heard my dialect (assuming it's in hiligaynon)...
Your wish is granted!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5RQ...e_gdata_player
Old 13th January 2014, 03:46 AM   #9
Spunjer

thanks drift, although i can't access the video. says it's set on private.
anyway, here's a link to the Bukidnons:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=mondo
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 01:15 PM   #10
driftwould

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunjer
thanks drift, although i can't access the video. says it's set on private.
anyway, here's a link to the Bukidnons:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=mondo
Please try again now. If it doesn't work I'll adjust it again.