Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th May 2016, 04:09 PM   #1
rickystl

Default British Eat India Co. Cavalry Pistol

Hello all. This is a new addition to the family. When I first saw the seller's photos I thought this was a Model 1840 percussion pistol. But the hammer screw looked wrong. I new it was not the latter Model 1843. So now that I have it, it appears to be a Model 1820 with an Arsenal conversion to percussion. Do you think my analysis is correct ? It's in really nice condition. Caliber comes out to about .68. I tried to photo the barrel markings, but the patina is too dark. The only mark on the inside of the lock appears to be a broad arrow (?) But some cleaning may prove me wrong. Looks to be some Navel rack numbers on the butt cap. Thanks for looking. Picture heavy.
Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 04:11 PM   #2
rickystl

SOME MORE PICS.........
Attached Images

Old 7th May 2016, 04:12 PM   #3
rickystl

LAST ONES...........
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2016, 06:08 AM   #4
kahnjar1

Hi Rick,
Another interesting piece... Some observations which may or may not be correct. The lock shows the typical Lion and Crown motif of the East India Company, though a bit rough if I may say so, and to me the "proof marks" do not look right for English proof which one would have thought they should be if this is indeed an English pistol.
The other outstanding anomaly is the Arabic numbers stamped into the wood under the lock plate. The upside down V is the number 8 and the upside down L is the number 3, so 83 is the translation.
I suspect that this could well be an Afghan copy, perhaps using some original parts.
The other thing is that the exterior screw slots, apart from those on the butt plate, look very clean compared with the interior ones. IF the pistol is of the age indicated I would have expected some wear on the exterior slots also.
It will be interesting to see what others think here.
Stu

Last edited by kahnjar1; 8th May 2016 at 09:03 PM.
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 11:59 AM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Reasonable reasoning, Stu !
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 02:52 PM   #6
Pukka Bundook

Good morning Rick,

I think Stu is pretty well right on this. The conversion looks a bit rough (particularly around the bolster) so may have been done in Afghanistan. The bun -nut being replaced with a nut turned to shape , or even a washer and riveted in place also says India/Afghanistan.
The stock and sideplate look right, but think converted "out there". Lock -work looks right to me, though the outside is a bit rough.

There are some very good examples on Brit. Militaria Forums, under "Guns of the EIC" forum, for comparison.
The proofs are right In Essence........but not clear enough to say if they are the real deal.
Best,
Richard.
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote