Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2013, 04:37 PM   #1
FRANCOIS

Default Walloon sword

hi,
In first, sorry for my poor language..
this walloon sword belongs to me. On the ricasso, one mark. and one flower on the quillon. Do you know these marks ? i have read the flower was a mark (
but unknow by the author ). the rest of the blade is MEFECIT SOLINGEN
Thank's in advance for your help
François
Attached Images

FRANCOIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 01:39 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Francois, and welcome to our forum!
As you probably are already aware, this is a distinctly Dutch form of 'walloon' sword which has beautifully executed hilt motif, and is otherwise remarkably similar to examples made for the Amsterdam Town Guard about mid 17th c. These were actually quite plain however without the elaborate motif and pommel did not have prominant capstan, also the blades were marked in typical spurious 'SAHAGOM' and running wolf. It is noted on these that the scrolled quillon has a stamped 'floret' as typically found as well as Amsterdam town mark at ricasso.

Your example seems to be perhaps slightly later with the capstan, and the quillon stamp of the floret style seems does correspond in style to these Amsterdam swords with that feature as well as the overall form. I cant really make out what the deep marking at the forte is, but it seems town marks in the Netherlands were placed in this location on the blades (Amsterdam was a crown with three Xs in the 18th c.). The ME FECIT SOLINGEN of course suggest that source, but I understand Solingen smiths were active in the Netherlands and may have marked thier blades as such just as the Hounslow smiths in England marked thier blades with German type marks. The 'anchor' type mark which is an embellished cross and orb is also a Solingen mark, so either Solingen as marked or Netherland as noted may apply.

Very nice example, and I look forward to other observations as well.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2013, 08:43 AM   #3
FRANCOIS

Thank you Jim for your reception and your interesting answer.
I post others pictures of this walloon.
The blade is 36'22 (92 cms ).
In France, this kind of sword ( and documentation )is not current although it was the first reglementary model ( in 1679 ). your explication is for me very precious.
Attached Images

FRANCOIS is offline   Reply With Quote