Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th June 2012, 08:14 AM   #31
Atlantia

Hi Loedjoe,

Nice Keris, thanks for sharing.
So would this be from the same place as mine? If so, what is the reason that some are straight and some have luks?
Best
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 09:22 AM   #32
tunggulametung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hi Loedjoe,

Nice Keris, thanks for sharing.
So would this be from the same place as mine? If so, what is the reason that some are straight and some have luks?
Best
Gene
I believe so.
Now that is a good question, but in simple words it may be made to satisfy product mix as in marketing, to fit certain dapur (style) for known or unknown reasons, for artistic reasons, for esoteric reasons, etc.

Last edited by tunggulametung; 28th June 2012 at 09:52 AM.
tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 10:45 AM   #33
A. G. Maisey

The reason that keris have a variety of forms, both straight and waved, varies depending upon the period when the keris was made.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 12:29 PM   #34
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
The reason that keris have a variety of forms, both straight and waved, varies depending upon the period when the keris was made.
Can you give some examples of this Alan, based upon one or a few specific periods of time?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 12:51 PM   #35
A. G. Maisey

As Tunggalametung has commented, product mix is very probably a valid explanation for keris produced during the current era.

As I believe many of us already know, talismanic properties of keris played a role in the decision of dhapur and pamor selection during some past eras.

There were other reasons for keris form at various other times, and at the moment I would prefer not to comment further on this matter.

The important thing to realise is this:- the nature of the keris has not been constant and unchanging during its very lengthy existence. When we consider the nature of the keris it must be considered within a particular time frame.
Old 28th June 2012, 03:42 PM   #36
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
The important thing to realise is this:- the nature of the keris has not been constant and unchanging during its very lengthy existence. When we consider the nature of the keris it must be considered within a particular time frame.
Precisely why i proposed the question of examples to you. Perhaps it is something you would be more willing to discuss at a later date...
Old 28th June 2012, 04:10 PM   #37
tunggulametung

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Can you give some examples of this .....based upon one or a few specific periods of time?
Hello David, I think Alan made an important point which I missed, to which I'm agree. I also would like to add that perhaps the reason may also differ regionally. It may be difficult to be certain regarding exact date or year, and exact reason. But here is a very simple example. Keris with 3 luk (I'm speaking about Jangkung) was once known to have a positive energy for youth who is studying, working or starting a new life etc in a distant land (incidentally? many Minang keris have 3 luks, and Minagkabau people are well known as immigrant). Now keris with 3 luks may be made nothing more than just to satisfy that story (demand/product mix plays its part here) and maybe bought by someone without the same intention as people from the past. Something like that. I hope this make sense.
Old 28th June 2012, 04:23 PM   #38
tunggulametung

I would like to add that generally, well at least from Javanese keris knowledge, we can't differentiate just straight and wavy keris. But first we have to speak about dapur or whatever it was called in other region before attempting to understand about angsar (esoteric properties?), perhaps one of the reason why a particular keris was made in certain style in past times. Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 05:31 PM   #39
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunggulametung
I also would like to add that perhaps the reason may also differ regionally.
Thanks for your response. The above is most assuredly true, i believe. This isn't a simply question and there certainly are no simple or pat answers. I am simply looking for some starting examples to get the discussion going. Thanks for your input.
Old 28th June 2012, 11:46 PM   #40
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunggulametung
I believe so.
Now that is a good question, but in simple words it may be made to satisfy product mix as in marketing, to fit certain dapur (style) for known or unknown reasons, for artistic reasons, for esoteric reasons, etc.
I'm beginning to see why you Keris chaps like them so much. They are rather subtle and beautiful things.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2012, 11:46 PM   #41
A. G. Maisey

David, I may be open to further discussion on this matter in about 6 months time.
Old 29th June 2012, 05:15 AM   #42
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
David, I may be open to further discussion on this matter in about 6 months time.
hmmm....i may be open to hearing that discussion around then...
Old 29th June 2012, 10:44 AM   #43
Loedjoe

Thank you very much, tunggulametung, for your most helpful information and kind remarks.
Loedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 08:04 AM   #44
tunggulametung

Not at all Loedjoe
Old 13th July 2012, 09:07 PM   #45
Marcokeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
I find the form of this Keris very pleasing. Hopefully you can all tell me more about it:
great!
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote