Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 15th September 2014, 06:26 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Philippine Knife

This is the latest addition to my collection. A very well made Luzon knife with silver fittings and pins decorating the horn hilt. Looking at the one close-up photo of the ferrule it shows a slight pinkish hue to the metal and I am hoping that there might be a nice surprize when this knife finally arrives. The original tooled leather sheath and belt are still in great condition. The knife measures over 15 inches in total length with a blade length of about 10 inches. I will post the exact measurements after this has arrived along with any other information of interest. As always any comments or information offered would be greatly appreciated. Sorry about the poor quality of the auction photos, but they are the only ones I have at this time.

Best,
Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 02:25 PM   #2
Sajen

Hello Robert,

very nice addition to your collection. Have seen it by ebay and was interested byself, glad that it found the way in your collection. Age between 1920-1949? Don't think that the ferrule is from suasa but would be glad when I am wrong by this. Please post some pictures when you have polished it up.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 10:10 PM   #3
kai

Hello Robert,

I also guess this is a low silver alloy. Whatever, it definitely is a very sweet addition to your amazing Luzon collection! Really rare to get complete pieces in this nice condition...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 11:51 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

What a nice piece, Robert! Yes I'm thinking it is copper/silver alloy, but as you know only testing will tell (hope it's swassa though ).
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 02:04 AM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello everyone and thank you all for your gracious comments on this piece. Detlef, I mostly agree with your dating but think that this would date more to the 1930's than the 40's. Kai, I totally agree that finding items of this age is getting extremely difficult to do anymore and specially ones in this condition. Jose, I agree with you and everyone else that the ferrule is most likely a silver/copper alloy but until tested like you said there is still hope that it could turn out to be swassa (and I'm still hoping ) If everything goes right it should arrive Wednesday afternoon and I will be able to post new photos and information on the ferrule then. Thank you all again.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote