Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th July 2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Hotspur

Default Military Sword Patterns In Fraternal Society's Use

One of my erstwhile endeavors is trying to keep track of some swords of society. I had gleeped this photograph with some interest because I ws more or less immediately ably to see a bevy of baldes (and babes) I recognized. Although widely dismissed as useless, the 1872 cavalry swords came in many flavors. A good many end up enscribed with owner names and fraternal organizations. Some day I do mean to pick up reference books for the society swords on a broader scale but right now, they are more of a simple and curious pastime.

Cheers

Hotspur; Ice cream (likely) in hand, here are some of a local group (undefined) brandishing their sabres. Lion pommel 1872s.

Oops, a better look at them
Attached Images

Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2009, 11:59 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Great post Glen, and interesting photo.

The fraternal sword, long considered sort of an uninteresting costume element rather than a weapon worthy of collecting by many, has enjoyed a bit of a renaissance in the arms world.
Last March at Timonium I got a copy of "The American Fraternal Sword" by John D. Hamilton, Joe Marino and Jim Kaplan, published by Mowbray Publishing, the mainstay of weapons Americana along with "Man at Arms" magazine.

If I recall correctly, the first John D. Hamiliton article was published among the earliest volumes of Man at Arms, and was for many years the only standing reference on Masonic swords. In those days these fraternal swords would often be seen in antique shops in dusty piles of knick knacks and other unceremonious clutter.

The M1872 cavalry sabre was far too light to be effective as a weapon, and it seems were part of a European fashion oriented regulations for uniforms and weaponry. These were privately purchased, and the only stated use of them I found in the Hamilton, Marino, Kaplan book was on p.125, for mounted Knights of St. John in a sabre resembling the M1872. By this time swords were essentially regalia, so as Glen has stated, there were undoubtedly many variations.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Hotspur

Attached are images of a cavalry sword that (to me) describe York Rite affiliations. I have not been able to determine whether the sword was carried in America or in Scotland but the familiy name leads a fairly meryy chase.

The Phoenix Masonry museum page has at least one standard military sabre that may or may not have simply been a lodge sword. Collectors Firearms of Texas has an interesting 1796 cavalry sword that was donated to a lodge. Another name (Knowles iirc) to research and perhaps appreciate. The skull and bones hilt sword is/was listed there as well. I don't find that I ever downloaded those to my drive for research but they come to mind.

The sabre attached here was sold by and I assume was photographed by Stephan Juan of Antiquefirearms dot com. While on my lists to buy, it sold before I got there and it was as much the engravings and named aspect that was of primary interest but it's a great looking sword even without that addition.

Cheers

Hotspur; I could be imagining it all as well but there is symbology enough there to draw some conclusions
Attached Images

Old 12th July 2009, 12:07 AM   #4
Hotspur

one more
Attached Images

Old 12th July 2009, 01:09 AM   #5
Jeff D

Hi Glen,

Great example, of no doubt masonic symbols on a late 18th century saber. But, I am not sure it answers my question of; were officers allowed to put obvious Masonic symbols on their regulation field or dress weapons? Clearly symbols appear on Masonic ceremonial pieces, the Ames catalogues show obvious symbols on military presentation pieces, and Hamilton cites examples of symbols added to retired military pieces, but I can't think of a mixing of clearly masonic symbols and the usually military motifs. Was it against regulations? What I am getting at is; A large number of officers in the late 18th century, early 19th century were masons, who clearly found some importance in symbols, it would stand to reason that if they were not allowed to openly display there signs, they would go to more covert methods.
I really don't know, but, still think it is possible that the original bead hilts do have some masonic significance. However it is very far from being proved. I also believe that the significance was lost as the original hilts became the style which further muddys the water.

All the Best
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 02:46 AM   #6
Hotspur

Hi Jeff,

Yes and no in my reckoning. No, on a good number of regulation swords but I would think unavoidable as add ons in period military use. The sabre I attached (again in my reckoning) the is either a British or Scottish yeoman cavalry officer's everday (as it were) sword. Strict regulation even there does not apply in that instance. As possibly American (where did I put those name notes) a militia officer would still be able to order what he pleased. That sword in hand might make me a happy camper in further research of it.

The American militia acts and regulations only require a sword. American military regulation regarding officers swords was widely disregarded, as they were also private purchase. That went on through to the second half of the 19th century. Right off the bat, the castings for the pre ACW American militia swords share the cross on the guard.

Jim's thoughts reflected in the other thread does see the use of those talismanic and cabalistic symbologies on blue and gilt blades but wanes greatly by the advent of etchings. Then little seen on such blade decoration for the American military and militia swords excepting presentation swords. With fire gilding still available from German makers, maybe they really hold a good many of the keys.

Military heraldry would be another avenue for easy association. Take a look at later American 19th century and 20th century quartermaster uniform pins and hat badges Add to that the seal quite prominent on military swords to this date. I must confess though that the Birmingham cutlers and engravers had very little to go on when casting eagle pommels and engraving blades for the American market. There is another note that Mowbray himself did pages on a splendid richly gilded and decorated sword belonging to a Scotsman (my books are stacked (yes much like Jim's I think) Nope, covered them. Two scabbards, one dressed and embellished in the finest Jim might imagine (or remember) and another plain leather job. A very fine looking Birmingham eagle.
Mowbray also a lots of information regarding decoration for the American market regarding the great seal and eagle art. One need really look no further than the Rothchilds and symbology. In that sense, yes, one could clearly say a great many military swords and accoutrements have Masonic affiliation. Another ancient pyramid reality, or realizing as the case may be.

Cheers

Hotspur; Snake and horsehead hilts are other ancillary passions and wonder
Old 12th July 2009, 03:56 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Jeff and Glen,
It seems to me the blued and gilt blades I have seen are typically end of the 18th century, and well through the 19th. The cabalistic and talismanic images on blades I am referring to are typically on Solingen blades and various European blades, the concept of which seems to have originated on hunting swords (Blackmore). These symbols became well known on trade blades often found on colonial swords such as kaskara and many others.

The absolutely beautiful and mysteriously etched sabre Glen posts here is a British M1796 stirrup hilt sabre of the form for light cavalry officers, but this one is clearly a yeomanry version. I have seen many of these types for yeomanry, often ivory grips and gilt hilt, the blades typically with military motif and devices blued and gilt. It is well known that British officers of these times had considerable latitude in thier fashion, actually Beau Brummel himself was for a short time an officer (I believe possibly 10th Hussars as he was a friend of the Prince of Wales).
The etchings on this blade (the sword itself would date c. 1805-20 I would think) would seem to strengthen the profound presence of Masonic brotherhood in military officers. While swords certainly followed certain accepted hilt patterns, the blade, and its markings would not be open to any particular scrutiny. I suppose much in the way a tattoo covered by a uniform still holds personal meaning to an individual, but remains unseen by others.
In "The American Fraternal Sword" (p.12) it is noted that in the 18th century military hangers and gentlemans smallswords were used by Masonic sentinels and in ritual degree work. As sword patterns were superceded, often the older swords found use as Tilers swords in lodges, and were held in high esteem as implements of war, and well placed in thier function in guarding the lodge and its proceedings.
It would not seem surprising that an officer such as in yeomanry, heavily engaged in social function and particularly lodge affairs, would have its blade etched accordingly. If called to duty, the fervently marked blade would certainly strengthen his valor temporally. This is of course the concept that has imbued sword blades with such markings and inscriptions from the earliest times.

It would be extremely important to discover if the origins of the multiple beads had other than British origin, and in what period the motif began. I have of course seen the single longish bead or device typically seen in the center of the knucklebow, and it does seem these occasionally have what does seem artistic embellishment. As far as I can recall, I have not seen accompanying features en suite on the crossguard and the device seems singular without specific purpose other than adding symmetry to the guard.
But then...who knows ?

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 06:25 AM   #8
Jeff D

Thanks Jim and Glen.

Jim, I think you are referring to the moon, star, and turks head motifs seen? I really have no idea if these are Masonic in nature? What I would really like to see is the square compass, cross crown, etc symbols mixed with the military cluster of arms, drums, dragoon etc symbols on military blades. I never thought of it before, but I have never seen both together.

Glen, I know you are correct that prior to the late 18th century there was a lot of leeway on the type of sword for officers. As you know by the end of it, there started to be regulations. Most of the blue gold seen on these are of the typical military type. If unregulated we should see lots of examples of military and overt masonic symbols because of the obvious masonic presence especially in the officer class. I can't recall any but I know you know these weapons better.

All the Best
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote