Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th August 2015, 02:50 AM   #31
JamesKelly

Rather detailed accounts of 17th century pirates are given in The History of the Bucaniers of America London, MDCCLXXIV In Two Volumes, The Fifth Edition, London, MDCCLXXIV

I believe it is available on Google books. In Ancient Times I bought the two volumes rebound for US 10 cents, from the Lehigh University library.

These days Captain Morgan is a jolly fellow who sells rum in American TV commercials.
The original, circa 1670's, was not so cordial ". . . prisoners. These being brought into the city, were put to the most exquisite tortures . . . they put him on the rack, and inhumanly disjointed his arms; then they twisted a cord about his forehead, which they wrung so hard, that his eyes appeared as big as eggs . . . they hung him up by the testicles, giving him many blows . . . they cut of his nose and ears, and singed his face with burning straw . . ."
JamesKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 03:28 AM   #32
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Talking In Spite Of Themselves

I love that Morgan and his buddies actually managed to blow up one of their most powerful vessels while partying onboard at the rendezvous point (and he survived) before they even left for Panama .

I believe she was a small frigate recently arrived from England .

Yo Ho !
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 07:31 AM   #33
M ELEY

Yes, a truly despicable pirate with a rum named after him. He died of cirrhosis, all bloated and jaundiced. It is interesting how fate works, however. For instance, bringing up that explosion you mention, only five or so out of two hundred survived...one of them being Captain Morgan. It's as if he was meant to go on. Despite his evils, he secured a foothold for the English in the Caribbean, which theoretically allowed for the eventual founding of the United States. As stretch, but you never know-
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote