Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st October 2009, 11:30 PM   #1
Naga Sasra

Smile Gold Cross on top of Pesi

Dear Forum Members,
Over the years I have run into the Pesi top of several Keris have a cross in it, the cross is most of the time filled with gold, or as in one instance no gold just the cross.
This has puzzled me as it could be perhaps a makers mark, it could signify PB X and properly a lot of other meanings, that I would like to ask the forum to help me to identify.
I thank you in advance.
Attached Images

Naga Sasra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 12:02 AM   #2
Gustav

The name of this art of pesi is pesi Tapak Jalak.

In "Keris Jawa antara Mistik dan Nalar" on page 162:

"Pesi tapak jalak, pada permukaan ujungnya diberi dua guratan bersilang seperti tanda plus (+) yang diisi emas atau perak , oleh sebagian masyarakat dianggap mempunyai tuah tertentu."

(I hope somebody who speaks Bahasa can translate it.)
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Naga Sasra

Wow, that was really quick, I must admit that I saw the entry in the book but have been unable to translate the sentence (Help Please).

As it is a rather short statement, perhaps someone out there can expand on the meaning of the cross. Such as why? when? whom? where? ect.

Thank you Gustav for your quick reply.
Old 1st November 2009, 01:10 AM   #4
Sajen

When I understand it correct with my unperfect and little knowlegde in bahasa Indonesia is the meaning that this cross, sometimes inlaid with gold or silver is for high status and respect people. But I am sure that Alan or someone from Indonesia/Malaysia/Singapore can translate it better than I am. BTW, I have seen this cross also already by good blades.

sajen

Last edited by Sajen; 1st November 2009 at 01:37 AM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 03:44 AM   #5
Moshah

Detlef was really close, as the exact translation would be "Pesi tapak jalak, where at the surface of the edge of the pesi was given a mark just like a plus (+) sign and filled up with gold or silver, by some societies this doing was associated with enticing some certain luck."

I hope it conveys the right meaning.

BTW, this doing must be of some kind of special cases, if not who would bother to do such thing?
Moshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 08:17 AM   #6
A. G. Maisey

Moshah's translation is near enough, but in English, we would write the idea conveyed like this:-

Pesi tapak jalak, on the surface of the tip there are two crossed lines, like a plus (+) sign, which are filled with gold or silver; by a part of the community this is considered to have a certain talismanic value.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 08:41 AM   #7
Moshah

That would be the right one.

Alan, what kind of talismanic value that normally associated to this kind of kinatah? Was it ever called kinatah, anyway?

I doubt that it was created to deter status, as nobody will walk around flaunt the pesi or wearing a keris without the ukiran / hilt...unless if there are secret society / occult meeting which needs you to reveal certain part of the keris.

Hmm, I might be seeing much cult movies lately
Old 1st November 2009, 10:18 AM   #8
Gustav

Not status, a talismanic value. Nobody bears his talisman visible for all people.
Old 1st November 2009, 12:06 PM   #9
A. G. Maisey

I'd like to stay out of this discussion.

I'm interested in seeing what opinions might arise.
Old 1st November 2009, 12:31 PM   #10
Gustav

We most probably are not able to have a discussion about this. The meaning of this pesi must be clear for Alan and some members who post very seldom.

And of course for Haryo Haryoguritno. I think, the information in his book about this kind of pesi is well dosed for a broad public, for most of us.
Old 1st November 2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Sajen

Thank you Moshah and Alan for the correct translation, the last part of the sentence I don't understand really.
Agree with Gustav that a talisman don't need to shown open for all people. And it's no surprise that the pesi carry a talisman since it is a very important part of a keris.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Moshah

In my opinion, if it was really for talismanic value, and to be kept unseen, I guess the owner can't simply send his keris to people for cleaning and warangan purposes then.

It could be a symbol of X, instead of +. A reference to PB X, perhaps?
Old 1st November 2009, 08:13 PM   #13
Naga Sasra

Thumbs up

Thank you all for your participation and the correct translation, I do understand why Alan wants to stay out of this discussion.

The way I am looking at it presently is that the cross have a certain talismanic value by a part of the community. This answers the why, however this leave yet more questions as an example.

Who was or is that part of the community, was it a certain educational background, was it people connected to the royalty, was it something that was added to enhance the perceived value, or something entirely different?

When in time was this done, is it still done?

Where was this procedure most prevelent, is it mostly done in Solo?

What is the connection that will bring all this information together?

Maybe there is a connection to PB X

Sorry, lots of questions yet to be answered. everyone please join in.
Old 3rd November 2009, 11:28 AM   #14
Gustav

Only one thing, pesi Tapak Jalak occurs also in Sumatra.
Old 4th November 2009, 04:02 PM   #15
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Erik, good to see you here .

Perhaps an examination of the strata of Javanese social structure is in order to further the search for significance .

This is a subject I am pretty unfamiliar with .

Maybe a secret society , a priest class, a Healer .... ?

Or just a talisman for the affluent ?
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 06:43 AM   #16
khalifah muda

the plus sign at the pesi:

"....oleh sebagian masyarakat dianggap mempunyai tuah tertentu."

direct translation".....within a cluster (minority/half) of the community that it holds a certain luck"

Certain luck is very vague. Maybe there's luck for its owner for his/her embarkation in anything he/she do.

Luck charm???
khalifah muda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 06:43 PM   #17
Gustav

We probably should at first ask and learn to know, what Jalak and Tapak Jalak means for Indonesians. Then we possibly were able to come a little bit closer to this sign on pesi.

A similar sign appears on the gonjo of the beautiful keris of Blue Erf: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...warriors+keris
Old 6th November 2009, 01:59 AM   #18
khalifah muda

Hi Gustav,

The intention of its previous owner or empu is similar for Blue Erf keris which is luck charm.

Definition of Tapak Jalak
Tapak = Steps or langkah which is equal to moves in pencak silat.
Jalak = Is the term for the cross sign.

In pencak silat/ninja there are moves for tapak jalak....crossing legs while doing stances or movement from point to point.

Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav
We probably should at first ask and learn to know, what Jalak and Tapak Jalak means for Indonesians. Then we possibly were able to come a little bit closer to this sign on pesi.

A similar sign appears on the gonjo of the beautiful keris of Blue Erf: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...warriors+keris
khalifah muda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 02:41 PM   #19
rasdan

All this while i thought that tapak jalak is:

tapak: footprint
jalak: a gamecock with blue-black feather;

while "biring" is the ones with orange feathers.
rasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 07:51 PM   #20
A. G. Maisey

In Javanese tapak is footstep, footprint, trace, track and a jalak is a myna bird .

Not that any of that has much to do with the cross in the end of a pesi.

I'm still out of this discussion, and I will not be posting any of my ideas, opinions or knowledge here on this subject.

However, I will offer a little bit of advice which those pursuing the discussion may accept or reject as they see fit.

I would suggest that before floating ideas and opinions on the meaning of a cross of any kind in the end of a pesi, or anywhere else on a keris, that before any valid opinion can be offered, the origin of the keris, and the time frame within which it was produced should first be established.

These two factors are vital to the determination of the meaning behind this symbol.
Old 7th November 2009, 03:45 PM   #21
Naga Sasra

Thumbs up

Good advice Alan, and thanks to Rick (long time no see!) Rasdan, khalifah muda, Gustav and Moshah for your comments and idear's.

At this time we have been adviced that the gold cross also occur in Sumatra and we have a cross on the underside of a gonjo in a Malay piece posted by Blue Erf.

It has also been established that any of the translations of Tapak Jalak really does not have anything which relate to the cross in translation.
That said, we still do not know just what it is doing on the top of the pesi and what it stand for.
Allow me to restate my questions a little more in detail;

In what time frame did this occur? is it still being done A little piece of information most of the pieces but not all, I have seen this on were Nom-Noman. Was it also done outside these places and this time period, prior or later?

We have been informed that it occur in Sumatra pieces, are these pieces made in Sumatra or are they imports from Jawa Do anyone out there have a photo of a Sumatra piece with Tapak Jalak?

Perhaps Blue Erf have recent information on his blade with the cross under the gonjo, which would explain the cross?

If not perhaps some of our friends from Jawa will join in

Thank you!
Old 23rd November 2009, 04:07 AM   #22
Naga Sasra

Thumbs up

It has been a couple of quiet weeks since my last post, which gave me a chance to research a little further.

We were told that the gold inlayed cross on top of the pesi also occurred in Sumatra and thus posed the question if anyone had a photo of a piece from Sumatra having the cross, there have been no reply to this question and likewise no further information on the cross on the ganja from the Peninsula. As no further information has become available on these two locations, I will go back and concentrate on Jawa.

What I found was an article in the Pamor Magazine, specifically vol.: 4, No.: 11 from April-June 2009. The article is named “Sejarah Keris Brojogunadan Tangguh Mangkubumen” and start on page 54 and end on page 58.
What I found of interest in the article was a photo on page 57 the photo show a Keris made by Karya empu Brojoguna III and part of the photo had an insert of the pesi with a gold inlayed cross on the top.

Do this development ring a bell with someone out there?

Thank you!