Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd February 2006, 06:07 PM   #1
Yannis

Default Premiere

I think it is the first time we see an exampe in this forum. It is a shasqua with skirt. I need comments about it. I have seen it in russian books but unfortunatly I cannot read the language. I just know that it is a rare weapon. I hope that Jim, Rivkin and Ham or anyone else will have something to say.

A lot of care used to soften the leather of this baby and it is still in a very fragile contition.
Attached Images

Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2006, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivkin

I am now far away at Texas A&M, far from home and books, but imho:
skirted shashka is an extremely rare georgian shashka. Some of them (as for example Dadiani's palash) are status swords and not battle ready weapons.

Congratulations on this acquisition ! Hope to be home soon and write in more details abou it.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 12:02 AM   #3
Jeff D

Very nice find Yannis!!!

As Rivkin has stated these are Georgian. Here is one from Yurij Miller's Caucasian Arms from the State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg .Pg 151.

Jeff
Attached Images

Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 03:43 AM   #4
ariel

A Georgian Shashka with a "Skirt". Very rare, very pretty, very desirable, very jealous...
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2006, 04:54 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Yannis,
Wow!!! I agree with the others, indeed an example of a very rare form of Georgian sabre/pallasche. I have only ever seen and handled one of these about a decade ago.

These are illustrated and described somewhat in Astvatsaturjian (p.144; fig.232,234) as sabres with 'yubkoi' (=skirt) according to translated notes. It is suggested that the sharply forward angle hilt is to add force to a blow.
Apparantly the arms author E.von Lenz suggests this skirt is to protect the leather of the scabbard from rubbing against saddle and stirrup. Another author noted as an E.Denisov concurs and agrees concerning the 'parade weapon' status....as has been suggested by Rivkin in his post also.

In another reference to E.von Lenz, cited in Triikman & Jacobsen (Denmark, 1941) and noting his article "A Study of a Sabre" ("Zeitschrift fur Historische Waffenkunde, VI, p.180), the authors also illustrate these skirted sabres and that they are a 'special Mingrelian type'. Apparantly Mingrelia is a western region of Georgia.

It is interesting that the beak type pommel of these 'sabres' (although the blades seem invariably straight pallasche form), corresponds to those seen on early swords attributed to Huns c.500 AD ("Swords and Hilt Weapons" , ed. M.Coe, p.177). Possibly atavistic connection? for a dress type sword?

In notes it seems these are often considered 19th century with some possibility of origins as early as latter 18th century.

While these notes offer some general information, it would be interesting to hear more from those with Caucasian interests on the purposes of the 'skirt' on the scabbard and the dramatically angled hilt. It seems that even very early swords found in Caucasian regions have such angle on hilts, as well as early Tatar sabres.

A beautiful example Yannis!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2006, 07:35 PM   #6
manicdj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
A Georgian Shashka with a "Skirt". Very rare, very pretty, very desirable, very jealous...
nice, nice, nice,And jealous
manicdj is offline   Reply With Quote