Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th October 2016, 03:01 AM   #1
RobT

Default Powder Horn Questions

Hi All,

I picked up this powder horn a while back at a flea market. I suspect that it may be from Nepal but this is based on the most flimsy of evidence (I bought a Nepalese hansiya from the same dealer). The dealer also said that he had gotten some old Nepalese manuscripts from the source that supplied the powder horn and the hansiya. The horn doesn't look like it's from the US or Western Europe and doesn't look like any of the African or Middle East ones I have seen either. It doesn't look like cow horn either. Also, does anyone know what the spout plug and the carry strap would look like? The horn measures about 11.25" (28.5cm) from tip to end of spout (measured in a straight line. The incised decoration at the base of the horn is very simple and rather roughly done. The tip of the horn has a diamond and chevron motif at the very end and above that is a double line X with double lines above and below it. The lathe turned, wooden spout is about 2.25" long and is inserted into a wooden plug that closes off the end of the horn. The plug is held in place with two small iron nails. The suspension rings are iron and are held on to the horn by two iron rods that go completely through the horn. On one end, the rods are looped over to hold the suspension rings and, on the other end, they are bent over to hold them onto the horn. The rod at the base of the horn has a small rectangle of iron below the looped suspension ring holder. I would appreciate any information given.

Sincerely,
RobT
Attached Images

RobT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 05:30 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Rob:

Could be sheep or goat horn, which would fit with an Asian sub-Continent origin (as well as any number of other places).

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 10:23 AM   #3
BANDOOK

I HAVE SIMILAR TYPE OF POWDER FLASKS FROM THAILAND,KAREN HILL TRIBE
CHEERS
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 07:49 PM   #4
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDOOK
I HAVE SIMILAR TYPE OF POWDER FLASKS FROM THAILAND,KAREN HILL TRIBE
CHEERS
Can we please see them to compare with the subject horn?
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 12:17 AM   #5
RobT

Default Thanks

Hi All & Thanks for the Responses,

Ian, at least I'm somewhat in the ball park. Maybe one of the taxonomist members of the forum could ID the type of sheep or goat.
Bandook, a Karen origin certainly seems plausible. I'll be searching the net to see if I can come up with anything. I am especially interested in what the spout plug & sling look like.
Khanjar, thanks for your suggestion to Bandook. Pictures of his items plus any ethnographic photos that might be available will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
RobT
Old 7th October 2016, 02:12 AM   #6
rickystl

Looks like a ram's horn. The decoration on the tip.......possibly South African ??
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 09:45 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Looks like water-buffalo...with leather over.
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 02:04 AM   #8
RobT

Default Thanks for More Responses

Hi All,

rickystl, ram's horn it may be but all the African powder horns I have seen (admittedly not many) seem to have the same type of openings as those from the USA (fill plug at the base of the horn with the horn tip cut off and capped as the pour spout). On my horn, the tip has been decorated but not cut off so the spout at the base of the horn serves for both filling and pouring.
Ibrahim al Balooshi, my horn has no leather covering. It is a dark brown to russet colored horn worn smooth by many years of use. The tactile feel is very much akin to the feel of an old iwisa.

Sincerely,
RobT
Old 8th October 2016, 03:49 PM   #9
rickystl

Hi RobT.

I believe Ibrahiim is right on this being water buffalo horn. So it would seem the horn originated from somewhere the animal resides. Which does not narrow down the origin much LOL The carving on the tip of the horn looks some what familiar. But I just can't place it. Seems like I've seen this style of carving on wood knife scabbards (?). Maybe another Forum member will reconize the carving style which may offer a better origin possibility.
It is a really neat looking horn I would not mind having in my collection. Great find, especially from a flea market. Maybe from the Philipines or Southeast Asia ?

As you mention, using the base of the horn for both fill and charging is less commonly seen, as on this example. However, the design goes back to the earliest periods. Below are a couple of pics of a European style horn utilizing the base of the horn for both functions. This is a contemporary made horn (sorry Moderator) copied from various original wood carvings of the Swiss/Landsknechts for a re-enactor. But it does illustrate the use of using the base of the horn only for both purposes.

Again, very nice and interesting horn you have. Hope another Forum member can better narrow down it's origin.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2016, 04:28 PM   #10
RobT

Default Thanks For the Input

Hi All,
Thanks for all your input. I'll keep looking.
Sincerely,
RobT
Old 22nd October 2016, 08:36 PM   #11
Blacksmith

Water Buffalo horn, no doubt. And yes, nepalese. Theres almost similar one at the national Museum in Kathmandu.
Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016, 02:48 AM   #12
RobT

Default Thanks For the Info

Blacksmith,

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know of any website with pictures of the powder horn on it?

Sincerely,
RobT