Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 18th February 2021, 07:48 AM   #1
ganjawulung

Default NEW KERIS BOOK 0F 2021

Exploring the meaning of the symbols hidden behind the works of ancient Nusantara artists is really exciting. And one by one the ornamental motifs behind a keris, for example, or the carvings on a keris hilt, can reveal messages of virtue and good wishes that the ancestors want to convey. From the decorative motifs of various animals, plants, natural paintings at the base of the curve of the blade, not only presenting beauty. However, it can sprinkle a million meaningful messages.

And the rampant Covid19 pandemic wave apparently did not dampen the steps of Pak Guntur Setyanto Bledheg Samin and the Baḍavań team to present a work for cultural enthusiasts. A book decorated with cool photos of keris blades from all over the archipelago, the collection of Samin House of Jakarta, is launched in the middle of February 2021.

Practically the days of the pandemic are filled with flipping through and examining primary sources of archipelago old javanese classic literatures, such as Slokantara which contains Old Javanese didactic texts, Adiparwa books, Kakawin Desawarnana, Kakawin Ramayana, Asvamedha Parwa's Sanskrit texts, as well as Arthasastra and various discourses. Another way to try to explore what are the hidden meanings of the various motifs on the blade, warangka or keris?

Manned by young Creative writer Director Christophanie and young writers from the Baḍavań team (some young philologist of University of Indonesia), who were moved to take a closer look at the Samin House Collection of kris, in less than 40 days they managed to produce a book full of beautiful photos, 436 pages ...

Apart from the beauty of photography, the book entitled "Didactic Values of Nusantara Kris" (English edition, and also currently being revised in Indonesian edition) was launched in mid-February 2021. Printed is very limited, not sold and distributed to a limited circle, but the pdf texts can accessible to the public through the team's special website, DVNH (Didactic Values of Nusantara Heritage), for free.

And unlike other books on keris, this volume I book on DVNH is deliberately presented in a common language. Trying to explain various knick-knacks, details and intricacies of the keris without using technical terms such as dhapur, tangguh, ricikan, tanjeg, and various typical keris terms. Of course, it is intended that this book can be read by a wider audience outside the world of keris, both in the archipelago and abroad.

In the next few months, the same team, Guntur Setyanto and the Baḍavań team, are preparing the following edition, which is still in the scope of the DVNH theme, and it could be the next cultural editions again.

Kindly click on the DVNH link to access it ....

GANJAWULUNG PAKBO (Jakarta, 18/02/2021)
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2021, 07:56 AM   #2
ganjawulung

Default DVNH Didactic Values of Nusantara Heritage

https://www.instagram.com/dvnh.id/
Old 18th February 2021, 08:55 AM   #3
JustYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
Thank you for sharing this information Pak Ganjawulung.

Good to know Keris community in Indonesia is still active during this difficult time.

Best Regards,

YS
JustYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2021, 10:13 AM   #4
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustYS
Thank you for sharing this information Pak Ganjawulung.

Good to know Keris community in Indonesia is still active during this difficult time.

Best Regards,

YS
Yes. And the same team is currently conducting research in a number of locations in West Java in order to prepare to publish a second book within the next three months. Already taking photo shoots for several objects to be written, and the possibility that next month will return to take another photo of Pak Guntur Setyanto (Bledheg Samin on facebook) .....

Best Regards too,
GW
Old 18th February 2021, 05:27 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks for this information and the link to free downloads.
You wrote about limited hardcopies of the book. Just remember that if you have any links to the sale of this book please make sure they are posted in the Swap section rather than on this forum.
I look forward to checking this out more closely.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2021, 07:47 PM   #6
Marcokeris

THANK YOU A LOT JIMMY!!! It's very beautifull

Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2021, 11:55 PM   #7
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Thanks for this information and the link to free downloads.
You wrote about limited hardcopies of the book. Just remember that if you have any links to the sale of this book please make sure they are posted in the Swap section rather than on this forum.
I look forward to checking this out more closely.
Yes David, I understand the rules of the game in this group. In addition, the very limited edition of this book will, in fact, mostly will be sent to a number of university libraries in the world that can take advantage of it. Of course it's for free. The publication of this book is not for commercial purposes ....

Thank you for reminding me....

Regards,
GW

Last edited by ganjawulung; 19th February 2021 at 12:06 AM.
Old 18th February 2021, 11:57 PM   #8
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
THANK YOU A LOT JIMMY!!! It's very beautifull

Waiting for our next meeting in Yogyakarta or Bali, who knows......

Best Regards,
GW
Old 19th February 2021, 10:20 PM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Yes David, I understand the rules of the game in this group. In addition, the very limited edition of this book will, in fact, mostly will be sent to a number of university libraries in the world that can take advantage of it. Of course it's for free. The publication of this book is not for commercial purposes ....

Thank you for reminding me....

Regards,
GW
That's very cool! Thanks!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2021, 08:29 PM   #10
ganjawulung

CORRECTION FOR DVNH LINK:
Free Download the "Didactic Values of Nusantara Kris" from here

https://dvnh.id
Old 23rd February 2021, 05:32 PM   #11
Jean

Quote:
CORRECTION FOR DVNH LINK:
Free Download the "Didactic Values of Nusantara Kris" from here

https://dvnh.id
Dear Pak Ganja,
Thank you for giving us access to this superb electronic book. The kris collection includes magnificent and rarely seen pieces worth "the price of a brand-new Mercedes Benz car" as Alan uses to say . It seems to me that a number of pieces may be of recent manufacture (scabbards & hilts especially) but superbly executed.
I took the time to review the book in detail and attach my impressions herewith:
. The fact that the author decided not to use any kris kris term is surprising for a Western collector like myself and the pleasure in reading the book comes more from the very high quality of the pieces than the new information itself.
. In the Sumatra chapter, it seems to me that the flaring buntunt identified as a mallet may rather depict a moon crescent? The use of the toli-toli is not described as per the standard (securing the blade in front of the king). I would have liked to learn more about the mysterious "owl" and "puteri malu" style hilts from South Sumatra.
. In The East Java chapter I noticed that the "vegetation god" style hilts may be related to Durga?
. In the Central Java chapter I noticed that the planar hilts from Solo are named Tungak semi (re our recent discussion).
. In the Lesser Islands & Celebes chapter I wonder whether the magnificent gold hilt rather depicts Bayu than Bhima in spite of the presence of the pancanaka (long finger nail) as the figure is smiling and does not hold a mace.
Thank you again and best regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote