Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th July 2017, 03:25 AM   #1
Battara
EAAF Staff

Default Mandaya Knife Datu Class Restored

Greetings,

It's been a while since I posted my restoration work. Time has been problem, but here is one that I received in the condition you see in the first picture.

It had an old split wood hilt with a section that was missing that I could not repair. The blade was deeply pitted with several layers of rust. The scabbard had nail holes, some broken nails, and some small silver overlay remnants.

Based on the scabbard evidence, I concluded that the piece was originally covered in silver plates, and thus a datu piece. So the second picture is the restored condition where I had to make a new hilt out of paduk wood with pierced and pin prick repousse silver, including a silver piece on the tang. I also did the same to the scabbard (also making the nails from scratch), basing the design on Mandaya examples. At the same time, I had to replace the missing section of the scabbard bottom from scratch. Although I was able to take off most of the rust, the pitting is so deep that I would have to make the dangerously thin, so I had to leave a lot of the pitting as is. When finished, I replaced some of the missing rattan bindings.

Enjoy!
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 01:26 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

A lot of looks but no comments, eh?
Old 22nd July 2017, 03:23 AM   #3
Oliver Pinchot

Brilliant, Jose!
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 03:43 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Sorry, I've been busy and had not noticed this until now. Very nice work Jose, just what I would expect to see in an item that you restored. I especially like the job you did in the carving the new hilt. Beautiful.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 05:44 AM   #5
Bob A

Lovely piece post-reconstruction.

May I ask what evidence led you to the conclusion that the scabbard was originally covered in silver plates, and how you arrived at the particular end result?
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 07:52 AM   #6
Sajen

Hello Jose,

well done like usual! Like Robert I like special the job you have done by the carving of the new hilt.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 05:15 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A
May I ask what evidence led you to the conclusion that the scabbard was originally covered in silver plates, and how you arrived at the particular end result?
Certainly. A very good question.

As I mentioned earlier, the scabbard had a piece of silver plate in it and there were nail holes in the correct places of the scabbard wood which would attach silver plates. I even found broken nails in the wood as well as whole metal nails (I was able to take out the whole nails very carefully).

Thus based on this, plus the broken silver band on the tang, I came to the conclusion that this was originally a datu piece with silver mounts. Examples of Mandaya knives have these features.

I studied the motifs of these examples and came up with a simple design, using what I call "pin prick" repousse method that they once used. This includes the piercing work that they also did on these sheets. The nails I made matched the metal of the original nails.

Thank you for your feedback folks.