Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 23rd March 2018, 07:46 PM   #1
DaleH

Default New here - will post some ethno arms soon

Cheers all!

Longtime lurker and frequently I correspond with both ‘Richards’, such as ‘Ricky from St Louis’ and ‘Pukka Bundook’, who recently helped me out with a Mughal Toradar all adorned with silver trim and gold goftgari decorations. No pictures yet ... but I promise to get some up soon!

A longtime black powdah shooter and enthusiast, I’m now making my own flintlocks, muskets and matchlocks, albeit from kits or blanks, but it’s a start. Thus I recognize some known flint longrifle builders on here, like Dave R.

The newest (at least in age) in my collection are pre-US Civil War rifles, 1 each flintlock & percussion Hall rifles, a unique breech-loading (tip up breech) design patented in 1811. There are soooooooooooo many interesting features of this design, as much of the credit for it’s success were the tooling & gauging required to make them. Thusly - QUESTION - Are these “too new” to be discussed here? They may not truly be ‘ethno’ arms, but if were from Afganistan ... and not the US, then they’d then be ‘ethno’ to me and I could discuss them, right? Yes/no?

Back to my ‘toys’ - the oldest (age) is a TRS replica copy of the Tannenberg hand gonne that I am currently making a tiller for, at least once Winter breaks. My next oldest is a copy of a Bavarian ‘chest stocked’ matchlock like that the dear departed Michael Trombler (Matchlock) once owned, if I spelled his name right. My newest additions are the Toradar and an Afgan Jezail and those arms prompted both Rich’s to get over me and to sign up here.

Others of interest (to me) are an exact copy of a late 1600s French Fusil de Boucanier of 66-caliber wearing a 54” barrel, as made by the late John Bosh, a noted builder of early historic BP arms. It is done soooooooo well (every metal part is marked w/ the mark of the French King) that John had to add his own maker’s mark ... so that someone wouldn’t fraudulently or mistakenly pass it off as an original. My longest BP arm is a 75-cal, 60” barreled ‘female’ boucanier that I shoot regularly.

And not lastly, but enough for now ... on my build bench is an early French Fusil de Chasse being made (albeit left-handed, as I’m a lefty) to the 1727 contract requirements from the factory in Tulle. I even made rulers in the early French measurements of pieds and pouces and all dimensions have been done in them; all work by hand (no power tools) and all wood scraped - no sandpaper.

All my BP arms are shootable or I am restoring them to make them shootable -even if only once! Thus ... if you gents let me, I look forward to participating here!

Dale
near Boston - USA
DaleH is offline   Reply With Quote