Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 15th September 2016, 07:37 PM   #1
Miguel

Default Cleaver for comment and interest

Hello everyone,

I was given this item by my Wife`s sister some years ago since which it has been in my shed, forgotten, until last week when I rediscovered it whilst cleaning out the shed. It was in a bit of a state and the blade was very rusty. I removed the rust by electrolysis, seven hours in a solution of Bicarbonate of Soda passing just over one amp using steel anodes. Unfortunately I forgot to take photos before cleaning. From the ages of the two people who have owned it and from when it was given to me I have determined that it is at least late 19th C but am not sure what it`s use was. I think it is a meat cleaver from searching the various sites but would welcome confirmation or otherwise. It is very well made having a turned wood handle with brass fittings.
O/L is 19.25 ins, blade length is 10.25 ins x 4.5 ins wide and 0.3125 ins thick.
Regards
Miguel
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 08:52 PM   #2
machinist

At that size I would call it a hog splitter, it is a nice and collectable piece.
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 05:14 PM   #3
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinist
At that size I would call it a hog splitter, it is a nice and collectable piece.
Thanks Machinist for your interest and comments and as no one else has shown any interest a `Hog Splitter` it is
Regards
Miguel
Old 22nd September 2016, 05:27 AM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

THERE WAS A AXE FORUM THEY COULD GIVE YOU FURTHER INFORMATION IF THEY ARE STILL ONLINE AND YOU CAN FIND THEM. AN INTERESTING ITEM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 07:03 AM   #5
machinist

The member called broadaxe might have an opinion on it.
here is some pics of his in this post http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...light=boarding
machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Miguel

Hi, sorry for the late reply but domestic chores took priority.
Vandoo, thanks for the tip, there is an axe forum still going but have not had time to look at it yet.

Machinist, Thanks for the link, I have never seen such a collection of axes, choppers etc. before, its awesome and there are a few similarly shaped cleavers to mine but no description unfortunately.
Thanks again to both of you.
Regards
Miguel