Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th May 2012, 06:01 AM   #1
Dimasalang

Blade vendors in the Philippines Ca.1913 selling what look to be similar knives.
Attached Images

Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Indianajones

Hi Detlef,
also congrats with this nice piece. Though -I know you always like to etch everything, but this piece has such a lovely old patine! If you etch it that will be gone forever!
Ofcourse its your piece but 'in the name of all nice 19th cent. blades' hope you'l think twice before dipping it into hot acid/vinegar.

Seems like your getting a quite nice Moluc/Philippine collection together! Interesting (unique?) combination!
Greets
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianajones
Hi Detlef,
also congrats with this nice piece. Though -I know you always like to etch everything, but this piece has such a lovely old patine! If you etch it that will be gone forever!
Ofcourse its your piece but 'in the name of all nice 19th cent. blades' hope you'l think twice before dipping it into hot acid/vinegar.

Seems like your getting a quite nice Moluc/Philippine collection together! Interesting (unique?) combination!
Greets

Hi Wouter,

like usual I will first have a look if I can see any traces of a lamination before I will etch it.

It is not only a Moluccas/Philippine collection but a Indonesian/Philippine collection!

Greets,

Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 05:50 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Detlef,
Normally I stay out of the etch don't etch controversy but on this I have to say please don't etch this piece. After you receive it I believe you will find that it probably has an inserted edge. Etching will bring this out but it will destroy the patina and IMHO all of the character it has developed over the long years since it was made.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 17th May 2012 at 12:30 AM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Indianajones

Oke, yes sorry I could not NOT leave a comment on the etching as . . . .you might have guessed I also love this piece; such a jewel in nice condition! But who am I to tell you?!
To my opinion the hande would not have had a wire encircling also, as some do indeed. Put me on your list of 'wanna have that' pls
Even wider; Indonesia Philippines; like a North-South axis. Though interesting as there are a lot of comons/cultural links between Luzon and Moluccas and the Indonesian islands underneath (Timor etc)I now and than noticed.
Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 02:36 AM   #6
Spunjer

oops, looks like i started something... didn't mean to put you in a predicament, detlef! by all means, it''s your choice. wouter and robert had excellent points as well.
Spunjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Sajen

Don't worry friends, I will handle it very carefully!
Old 5th June 2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Sajen

Have received it already longer. There is no evidence that there ever have been wire around the handle. After some aid the leather scabbard look very nice again, the white at the backside was relics of an old paper lable but nothing to read anymore. I have decided to let the blade patinated, I only have cleaned it carefully with WD 40. Here some additional pictures. Is it possible that the blade was made from a file? This is the second piece from the Philippines where I found this marks on the blade.

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images