Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 22nd May 2008, 04:06 AM   #1
Radu Transylvanicus

Default Best Balinese Keris collection in the world

I have not posted in a very long time, and to those of you who still remember me, I have some interesting news: I have moved from California and now reside in Bali, Indonesia, on a two year assignement. As one would expect me to, I already started collecting, there is still plenty of good kerises around, particularly if you have the luxury of time, mostly to be seen, but some good ones begging to be aquired as well.
Two days ago I was in crowded but beautiful Ubud, a traditional village in central Bali to those who may not know it, and had the unexpected pleasure while visiting some "contemporary" art museums, to actually run into what I believe to be world's best collection of fine Balinese kerises under one roof. The Neka Museum in Ubud, fairly recently, opened a very large exhibit room dedicated solely to the history, literature, making and of course display of fine Balinese kerises. Lots of gold, gems, ivory, silver, ebony and fine pamors of course, some of worlds finest carvings; many kerises are true pusakas, some dating as far as 13th century I believe (hard to believe judging by condition), some new, some from the royal courts around Bali, like the Tchokordo of Ubud, the courts of Singaraja, Gyaniar or Klungkung. The exhibit will be there for at least a year as of right now.
I have some pictures from there I sneaked out, some Ok in quality, I didnt ask if it is OK to take photos, they didnt say no or didnt see me, I supressed the flash so all in all I have some proof. That if someone reminds me how to post the photos since its been a long time I last did this.

Last edited by Radu Transylvanicus; 22nd May 2008 at 04:22 AM.
Radu Transylvanicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 04:21 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Radu. Nice to hear from you again. Very nice that you are now in Bali. I am envious.
I think we are a step ahead of you though. Interesting collection, though i am not so sure that one could rightfully call it the best Balinese keris collection in the world. Please see this thread:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ht=Neka+Museum
I think that we would love to see your pictures, but would you mind posting them on the original thread. I would rather keep the info in one place.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 04:23 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Back in March Marco posted some pics and info on this exhibit.

Here's the link to the thread:-

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...highlight=neka

It does seem like a wonderful exhibition. I'm having a bit of difficulty in scheduling a trip to Jawa and Bali this year, but currently it looks like I might be able to get there in August. I certainly intend to go and have a look at the Neka Keris.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 04:25 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Synchronic timing David.
Old 22nd May 2008, 04:26 AM   #5
Radu Transylvanicus

Like I said I have not ben here in a long time, hehe.
Yes, you guys are a step ahead as usual, but I on the other hand WAS THERE, IN THAT MAGIC ROOM
Old 22nd May 2008, 04:28 AM   #6
Radu Transylvanicus

Maisey, come stay at my place in August if youre in Bali. I run the show on a four star beach resort in Legian, hopefull Im not overbooked.
Old 22nd May 2008, 05:39 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

Thanks for the invite Radu, but I'll pass. I'll drop in a visit if we're both there at the same time, but I'm comfortable with the place I've stayed for 30 years or more. Actually, I've got relatives in Bali, some own hotels, and at the moment my sister in law and her husband are up in Ubud for six months. I do appreciate the invite, but I figure my relos would be mightily offended if I stayed at anywhere other than my usual place, while I continue to refuse to stay with them.

Incidentally, feel free to call me Alan. Maisey is my family name.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:38 AM   #8
TVV

This is off topic, but I am glad to see you here again, Radu.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 01:45 AM   #9
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
This is off topic, but I am glad to see you here again, Radu.
Oh yeah, and now, living in Bali, he is newly keris addicted!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:54 PM   #10
Marcokeris

Some other pictures. Sorry but the quality is not so good: keris are under a glass and my camera is not a reflex...and to take photos is not my hobby .
Surely this collection is a very, verynice collection
Attached Images

Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote