Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd August 2011, 05:15 PM   #1
AJ1356

Default Some eye candy

Unfortunately not mine I came up to this slide show while researching Safawid weapons, this collection is from a museum in Russia and includes weapons gifted to the Tzars by Persian kings or businessmen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/persian/arts/20...#imagegallery0
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 05:44 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi AJ. Thanks for the link. We really do encourage members to upload images directly as links have a tendency to disappear or go bad over time. Then all discussion based upon the images goes blind, so to speak. If you can upload in the future it would be much appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:36 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Nice stuff - I agree with David. Would also be nice to have the descriptions in English if possible.

Wish I had some of this stuff..
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2011, 09:30 AM   #4
AJ1356

The masked helmet is made of steal, with gold and pen engraving done by Persian masters. 2 samples of this kind is in Kremlin museum, one in the St.Petersbug Military museum and 4th in private collection.
The mace is made in the mid 17th century, the head is made of 98% pure gold, and weighs about 1kg, it is ceremonial, and was given to Tsar Alexi Michealovich by embassedor of king Abas II in 1658, handle is wood with gold covering and tourquise on both ends.
The dagger was given to Tsar Michael Federovich, by a Persian businessman in 1617 at the order of King Abas along with other items, in order to entice Russia to side with Persia in the fight against the Ottoman Turks. Handle and cover made with rubies and tourqoise.
The shield is made by master Mohammad Mo'min, it is made of steal and covered with gold engravings dipecting hunts.
The sword has the mark of the lion which indicated work of royal work shops, the scabard is adorned with gold, rubies and tourqoise, the blade read in Arabic ' The owner os this sword would become famous' It was given to Tsar Alexi Michaelovich but a Russian prince, and records show that it was worn byt the Russian ruler during the battle with Poland? (I think it is Poland persians have funny names for certain coutries) in 1654.
The sword bald is work of master Rajab'ali Esfahani, 2 are the this show one was given to the Russian Tsar by the Embassedor or Shah Ismael I in 1675 and the other by an unknown businessman in 1664.
The helmet was purchased by a Russian representitive frim Istanbul in 1633 and was worn by Tsar Alexi Michaelovich in the battle against Poland, the interesting part, it is adorned with verses from the Holy Qur'an the nose-gaurd read " there is not god but Allah and Mohammad is his messenger" .

This is a rough translation, just enough to give a description of each item
AJ1356 is offline   Reply With Quote