Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th April 2017, 09:43 PM   #1
Vince634

Default Translation/identification of inscriptions, thank you.

Dear all,

My name is Vincent, I live in LA and this is my first article here.
My collections focused more on Japanese swords, and there is a complete system teaching people how to appraise a sword from swordsmiths, attributions, and characteristics of the swords itself. I believer there must also be a system for Yatagan as well, however the most abundant information I can find is this forum.
Long story short, just purchased a Yatagan because of its beautiful shape and interesting hilt. I did not know the inscriptions on the blades carry so much information before buying it, but once I knew the fact, I became so eager to know its meaning(who doesn't). I read almost all threads discussing Yatagan inscriptions here, and found that the inscriptions of my Yatagan are quite different from others.
1. the "strokes" in the square box don't look like words to me, not like Arabic, Turkish or Farsi (probably due to my ignorance.)
2. The Solomon seal on the other side of the blade looks transformed.
3. The hilt looks like Balkan, but I didn't find any other similar item.
4. The copper part connecting the hilt and the blade looks not very delicate comparing to the hilt.
Could anybody please kindly help me translate or identify the inscriptions? And maybe a good guess of its origin and time? Thank you in advance.

[IMG]jpg[/IMG]
Attached Images

Last edited by Vince634; 25th April 2017 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Failed to upload pics
Vince634 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 03:31 PM   #2
ariel

Balkan ( Sarajevo most likely) yataghan with no visible inscription, just decorative elements.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 06:22 PM   #3
Vince634

Thank you very much, Ariel. It's always good to learn opinions from an expert. If I may bother you with 2 more questions, do you think the "stamp" in red circle is a signature of the swordsmith? Second, how can I tell if this sword is quenched and/or tampered if I don't want to grind it? Thank you again.
Attached Images

Old 26th April 2017, 05:49 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

See https://travelatelier.com/blog/yatagan-swords/ for an interesting description of Yatagan and an illustration of similar blade scroll patterning...
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 10:39 PM   #5
Vince634

Thank you both for the information and the link, and sorry that my previous post came out 24 hrs late....