Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th April 2017, 02:32 PM   #1
kronckew

Default Naval/Hunting hanger

just won this in a lot along with a copper washing posser, a ceramic meat tray, and a cranberry glass oil lamp for less than the postage would cost. i'll drive to the auction house & pick it up tues. and take some better photos and measurements. found one which appears exactly like it here on the forum, screen capture attached as well. been a good easter.

ref: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hunting+hanger

mine looks like posts #2 & 5 rather than post 1.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 16th April 2017 at 03:11 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 05:54 PM   #2
Norman McCormick

[QUOTE=kronckew]just won this in a lot along with a copper washing posser, a ceramic meat tray, and a cranberry glass oil lamp for less than the postage would cost.

Hi Wayne.
Lucky 'b-gger'. Will be interested to see it in detail. Hangers hunting and otherwise are a favourite of mine I've just not got enough of them. Nice catch
My Regards,
Norman.
Norman McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 06:01 PM   #3
colin henshaw

Well done, you got a bargain ...
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 06:47 PM   #4
kronckew

thanks for the comments. it was listed as a 'decorative short sword'. i remembered these hangers being discussed recently, thought to myself then - i have to get one of those - and it caught my eye trolling thru the haystacks of the current auctions, i took a punt at it. sometimes i luck out. i like the shorties, hangers, hunters, SE asian versions, cutlasses, etc. too. now i've got to find a space on my wall for it.... next on my hit list is a UK royal naval sword, one of the19c ones before they narrowed the blade width...or maybe a nice spectacle cutlass, whichever comes first at the right price.
Old 18th April 2017, 07:39 PM   #5
kronckew

Picked it up today.

weight: 408 grams
LOA: 25.25 in. (64cm)
Blade Length:21 in. (53cm), it is not fullered.
width at guard: 1 3/16 in. (3cm)
thickness at guard 4mm. ~ 3/16 in. distal tapered to tip.

1st 7 in. has a sharpish false edge, rest of blade is sharp. blade slightly pitted and black oxide rust overall, slightly rounded tip, a few small nicks on the edge. stag grip is tight to blade, brass guard shows slight movement, tang end peened over keeper. guard is plain, slightly dished on the blade side, decorated with what look like scaled dolphins and maybe a winged cherub face. floral decor & dolphins (?) on knuckle guard. decorated pommel. marked about 7 in. (18cm) from the guard with a Y shaped mark both sides with a spike bisecting the fork, and a branch to the left and right from join and with a curled end on left. mark is about 3/8" sq.~1cm sq. antler grip has a crack along the top side centre, but stops a couple inches from the ends. top extension of guard is not there as in the example above. maybe broken off. where it would have been is well rounded and smooth from wear, so break is not recent...
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 18th April 2017 at 08:08 PM.