Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th July 2008, 03:28 AM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Default INTERESTING, ODD, ONE OF A KIND ITEMS

JUST FOR FUN I AM LISTING A ITEM THAT RECENTLY CLOSED ON EBAY THAT FALLS INTO THE ABOVE CATAGORY. WE ALL HAVE SEEN SUCH ITEMS IN THE PAST SO IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING ODD AND UNUSUAL ADD IT TO THIS POST WHICH IS DEVOTED TO THE ODD AND EXOTIC.

THE ITEM WAS EBAY #320277067591 AND WAS LISTED AS A OLD ZULU KNIFE SHAPED LIKE A GUN 80 CM. LONG WITH WIRE WORK WHICH LOOKS LIKE THAT DONE BY THE ZULU. IT SHOWS GOOD AGE AND MAY BE ONE OF A KIND MADE SPECIALLY FOR SOMEONE AND I WOULD NOT CONSIDER IT AS A TOURIST ITEM. ANY COMMENTS ARE WELCONE. ENJOY
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 04:08 AM   #2
Berkley

An earlier thread on totemic representations of firearms in African edged weapons has a picture of a very similar piece. See Post #27 in the link.
Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 04:31 AM   #3
M ELEY

Cool piece,Barry! Thanks for posting it and thanks,Berkley for attaching the earlier link. I must have missed the original thread. These types of "trick" weapons are fascinating. Following the original thread, Katana mentions the fake-factor in tricking the enemy from a distance. This was also a common practice at sea (I hear groans that I'm bringing up maritime and pirates again! ) with many smaller schooners having fake cannon made out of cut logs and primed black. When you didn't have the fire power, it couldn't hurt to fake it! Particularly of interest are some of the fake weapons that aren't weapons at all! I've seen Japanese katana that were really just carrying cases for pharmaceuticals and a tanto that was really just a hand fan. Cool item!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2008, 08:17 AM   #4
colin henshaw

Very nice....it might be from the Shona (Zimbabwe).

Regards
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 04:04 AM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Cool

TWO MORE INTERESTING ITEMS. PERHAPS NOT ONE OF A KIND BUT COOL NONE THE LESS.

1. INDIA AX PISTOL SAID TO BE 18 CENTURY

2. SUDANESE MACE WITH AN INTERESTING MACE HEAD MADE TO RESEMBLE THE EARLY ISLAMIC GRENADES.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote