Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th October 2007, 01:43 AM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Army officer sabre - 3th Reich

I am selling this sabre for 400 euros.
The engravings are not stamped, but done manually, to my knowledge.
Some qualified source sugested this sword already existed in the Weimar period, and later had the engraving ordered to an artisan, most probably in Portugal. I bought it together with the book in the pictures, dedicated by the director of the German school in Oporto, to a youngster belonging to a local well known German originated family, when the war started.
The sword has no maker's marks or any other, but it all indicates it was in the family and was engraved and given to the youngster to go do service in the war, in the German Army. The book goes with the sword.
The scabbard was repainted by myself, and the silver yarn in the leather strap was replaced. The blade nickel is practilally all there, except for a little fail near the tip. I can post other pictures if needed.
I can consider a swap, but it has to be a piece not belonging to this theme and as old as 19th century.
fernandoviana@netcabo.pt
Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:39 PM   #2
fernando

New price 300 euros.
Old 23rd October 2007, 02:48 PM   #3
Mark

Post A reminder from the Staff

This piece does not fall within the forum's definition of an ethnographic weapon. Please refer to the "Welcome" thread, in particular:
Quote:
We define the term, for the purposes of this site, as a weapon other than the standardized military models of the past few centuries and which is likely a product of an individual artisan working according to traditional patterns as opposed to a product of modern mass industrial production. Militaria is thereby excluded by definition. Modern custom knives would qualify as an artifact of our own "culture", but will not be considered here, as they are better represented elsewhere.
This is not a grave offense by any means, so we'll leave the thread. But, in the future please limit posts to "ethnographic" items (both here and on the main forum).

PS: As always, no discussion of the item other than that directly related to the sale.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2007, 11:59 PM   #4
fernando

I start by saluting you, Mr. Bowditch
I regret not having discerned the correlation between the main Forum page and this Swap section, in what touches the criteria of ethnographic weapons subscribed by you or and the Staff in general.
I regconize that my intent was that of offering a sword for sale without observing any selective rules, same as those who, for an example, i have seen offering Betel nut cutters for sale in this very section , an item hardly more connected to arms & armour than the sword i offered for sale or swap.
I fail to understand the contents of your Post Scriptum. If you are referring to the support text linking the book to the sword, you will rather observe that such text and book were an element to help dispatching the sword, and by no means a proposal to discuss the matter.
On the other hand and the way i view it, if you or the Staff found reason to criticize my attitude in announcing a so called non etnhographic item in this section, there is no need to maintain the thread open, on a basis of tolerance, for i will therefore request you to remove such thread.
I am sorry for the lack of politeness expressed; my english and my manners could well be better.
At your disposal
Fernando Viana
Old 25th October 2007, 09:50 PM   #5
Mark

Fernando,

Not to worry.

As I said, its outside the scope, but on Swap it is not such a big deal. My post-script was directed more to others, to remind them that discussions on Swap are to be limited to questions or information about the sale. For example, your announcement of the price reduction, or a potential buyer asking some further detail on the item, are OK, but discussing the historical context of the Third Reich, or debating the morality of collecting Nazi weapons is not.

I hope this clarifies my earlier post.

Mark
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2007, 10:16 PM   #6
fernando

Sufficiently clarified, Mark.
Thank you very much.
Fernando
Old 20th January 2008, 09:33 PM   #7
fernando