Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 23rd November 2015, 06:06 AM   #1
kahnjar1

Cool DULLAH and DULLAH

When one collects in a given area, other stuff totally unrelated to weapons tends to turn up also.
Here is a selection of Arabian/ Middle Eastern Coffee Pots (Dullah). Some are signed, and some are likely souk items, though all are of solid construction of good thick brass.
Just something a little different in the Ethnographic line.
Stu
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 06:05 PM   #2
kronckew

yep, fill part way with semi-salty water from a camelskin water bag heated by the sun, pound a few handfulls of beans into a powder, dump them in along with a few cardamon pods (sugar optional), stir, put on the fire and heat below boiling for a few hours, pour into small cups and enjoy. as the cup is half full of nice gritty grounds, you get a meal as well as a refreshing drink. i prefer mint tea myself. sharing roast antelope with your salukis is optional but reccommended. wife and kids can eat the leftovers later.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 10:33 AM   #3
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Dhellah. The Omani Coffee Pot.

DHELLAH. The Omani Coffee Pot for serving and cooking coffee..The former being more ornate and usually with danglers in the Hand of Fatima form. The coffee pots above are mainly cooking pots for making the drink..on a fire..after which it was transferred to a serving pot...both called Dhellah.

The shape of the serving pot more swept at the waist and with bands of brass or copper decoration. Often traces of tin cover the body of the pot and inside to protect from Verdigris toxin. The hinge topped spout to prevent insects flying in. Tiny stones sometimes placed inside the lid to warn of anyone interfering with the brew. Making coffee for an important Sheikh was the job of the head slave since there was the ever present danger of the coffee being poisoned.

The same style of spouted bowl can be seen in Islamic Metalwork by Rachel Ward at page 115.....on a 14th C. Damascus artefact.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 19th January 2016 at 12:23 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 10:58 AM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Serving Pot Examples.

The Serving Pot.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 19th January 2016 at 12:24 PM.
Old 19th January 2016, 02:21 PM   #5
RobertGuy

Here is my offering. Purchased in the early 1970s in Ankara, Turkey.
The body is copper and the lid is brass. Not a particularly fine example but I would be interested if anyone can give me any information on the markings. Is it a signature, makers mark, quotation? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 05:39 PM   #6
ariel

Yes, I think Ibrahiim's correction is valid.

Dulla , AFAIK, usually refers to the foamy bag, protruding from the mouth of a sexually-excited male camel. It is often featured on Indian khanjar or sword handles , confused with large tongues and likely stresses macho image.
Attached Images

ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 07:46 PM   #7
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGuy
Here is my offering. Purchased in the early 1970s in Ankara, Turkey.
The body is copper and the lid is brass. Not a particularly fine example but I would be interested if anyone can give me any information on the markings. Is it a signature, makers mark, quotation? Thanks in advance.
Salaams RobertGuy This is a made by inscription...Makers Mark. On a cooking coffee pot.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Old 19th January 2016, 07:52 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Yes, I think Ibrahiim's correction is valid.

Dulla , AFAIK, usually refers to the foamy bag, protruding from the mouth of a sexually-excited male camel. It is often featured on Indian khanjar or sword handles , confused with large tongues and likely stresses macho image.
Salaams Ariel, Yes that is a male since it wears all the metal rings in its nose...with ropes attached. It is a lead camel...Galaisah...Female camels are in season all the time, however, it is the males that come into season... in cold weather.
Getting in between a male in season and a female can prove fatal as the male is prone to attack with the apparent aim of biting off an arm or a leg.

Below various pictures involving Coffee.. Gahwa..The original red clay coffee pots....the other equipment Yad wa yad mal hawan mortar and pestle..the coffee bean cooking pan and stirrer....some more pots and a whopping coffee pot big enough for about 50 people..
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 19th January 2016 at 08:30 PM.
Old 23rd January 2016, 03:59 AM   #9
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Ariel, Yes that is a male since it wears all the metal rings in its nose...with ropes attached. It is a lead camel...Galaisah...Female camels are in season all the time, however, it is the males that come into season... in cold weather.
Getting in between a male in season and a female can prove fatal as the male is prone to attack with the apparent aim of biting off an arm or a leg.

Below various pictures involving Coffee.. Gahwa..The original red clay coffee pots....the other equipment Yad wa yad mal hawan mortar and pestle..the coffee bean cooking pan and stirrer....some more pots and a whopping coffee pot big enough for about 50 people..
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Salaams Ibrahiim,
You do not give dimensions of the huge coffee pot in your pic above. I recently picked up this large pot in a local junk shop.
Size is 10" (25.5mm) to the top of the bowl and 14" (35.5mm) to the top of the cover not including the spike. Heavy brass construction and nicely decorated overall. Probably Saudi I think.
Stu
Attached Images

Old 23rd January 2016, 02:03 PM   #10
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Salaams Ibrahiim,
You do not give dimensions of the huge coffee pot in your pic above. I recently picked up this large pot in a local junk shop.
Size is 10" (25.5mm) to the top of the bowl and 14" (35.5mm) to the top of the cover not including the spike. Heavy brass construction and nicely decorated overall. Probably Saudi I think.
Stu
Hi Stu,
Thanks for this post. I have had a long-time interest in Chinese tea pots and have a small collection that I brought home with me. For some odd reason smoking-related items also interest me. I have a couple of hooka (of course) and silver cigarette cases. Please let me know if they are of interest to anyone else and I will post some photos. Thanks again. Good thread.

Harry
harrywagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2016, 03:00 PM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Salaams Ibrahiim,
Stu
Salaams khanjar1, It is about 3 feet tall including the spike. Mine is Omani probably Nizwa.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Old 23rd January 2016, 08:06 PM   #12
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams khanjar1, It is about 3 feet tall including the spike. Mine is Omani probably Nizwa.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
WOW that IS big!! Makes mine seem quite small! I can imagine trying to pour coffee from that when it is full!
Stu
Old 23rd January 2016, 08:08 PM   #13
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywagner
Hi Stu,
Thanks for this post. I have had a long-time interest in Chinese tea pots and have a small collection that I brought home with me. For some odd reason smoking-related items also interest me. I have a couple of hooka (of course) and silver cigarette cases. Please let me know if they are of interest to anyone else and I will post some photos. Thanks again. Good thread.

Harry
Probably of interest but maybe in a new Post then comments can be placed in the right place. I have the odd Chinese pot and pipe also.
Stu
Old 30th May 2018, 05:12 AM   #14
kahnjar1

Quote:
WOW that IS big!! Makes mine seem quite small! I can imagine trying to pour coffee from that when it is full!
Stu
Was in Dubai recently and saw these monsters in an antique shop. Obviously not suitable for actual use as the weight with liquid in them would be impossible to lift. Very ornate and nicely made pots just the same and would make a real converstaion piece sitting in the living room!
Stu
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2018, 07:08 PM   #15
rickystl

Hi Stu

WOW!!!! Those are monsters alright. LOL While not in my line of collecting, I do find them interesting, and certainly very decorative. Nice collection you have.
These remind me of a Lebanese restaurant I frequent here. For desert, I always order a shot of Arak on the rocks, and a Turkish coffee. I remember my late wife use to ask me: "How do you drink that coffee ? It's thick as paint"
LOL!!

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2018, 08:57 PM   #16
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Stu

WOW!!!! Those are monsters alright. LOL While not in my line of collecting, I do find them interesting, and certainly very decorative. Nice collection you have.
These remind me of a Lebanese restaurant I frequent here. For desert, I always order a shot of Arak on the rocks, and a Turkish coffee. I remember my late wife use to ask me: "How do you drink that coffee ? It's thick as paint"
LOL!!

Rick
....so YOU like Turkish coffee too!!!
Old 9th June 2018, 09:28 PM   #17
rickystl

Hi Stu

Yes, I do. In fact, I think I'll go to that restaurant tonight for dinner. LOL

Rick
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2018, 01:18 PM   #18
BANDOOK

Default cairoware coffee pot

HI STU
I have a huge collection of Islamic antiques/art ,here is a coffee pot of mine from Egypt or Syria,in the cairoware pattern
Attached Images

BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote