Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 9th December 2020, 06:58 AM   #1
Anthony G.

Default Keris Pedang

I just got it last week and thought to showcase to fellow collectors/members.
Unsure about the era of make, maybe late 19th century.

Keris Pedang Bali Lurus Ulu Kusia Tandok where hulu is made of buffalo horn, and depicts a figurine called Kusia; a locust like insect. The pamor pattern are arranged in the mlumah technique, of the kulit semangko. It is said to be used by warriors but this keris pedang is slim, not sure the purpose for it's make.
Attached Images

Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 09:40 AM   #2
Athanase

The hilt and scabbard are new made, but for the blade I don't Know.
Athanase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 05:54 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Anthony. Yes Kusia or Kocet-Kocetan hilt. I wouldn't say it is new, but i would imagine much newer than the blade. The sheath is probably the newest part of the ensemble.
I think you are probably safe calling this blade 19th century. It would be nice to see a photo of the entire blade so that we can see the proportions.
Keris pedang may well have been used by warriors, but my understanding of kocet-kocetan hilts is that thy were most appropriate for the priestly class. I would image this is more an ensemble put together for appearances than actual societal or cultural purposes. I nice acquisition regardless.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2020, 09:09 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Yes, I think the present hilt is not really suitable for this keris, but its a nice hilt and these are relatively scarce, even recent ones, so my inclination would be to mount it as a display hilt on a stand.

I think I'd like to see this keris with a bound loncengan, or a cekah solas or cekah redut.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2020, 01:10 AM   #5
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Yes, I think the present hilt is not really suitable for this keris, but its a nice hilt and these are relatively scarce, even recent ones, so my inclination would be to mount it as a display hilt on a stand.

I think I'd like to see this keris with a bound loncengan, or a cekah solas or cekah redut.

Hi David, Hi Alan

You are right to say that this hilt is not suitable and I overlooked on that part. I will swap it according and mount this horn hulu on a stand. Thanks for highlight.
Attached Images

Last edited by Anthony G.; 10th December 2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10th December 2020, 01:16 AM   #6
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Hi Anthony. Yes Kusia or Kocet-Kocetan hilt. I wouldn't say it is new, but i would imagine much newer than the blade. The sheath is probably the newest part of the ensemble.
I think you are probably safe calling this blade 19th century. It would be nice to see a photo of the entire blade so that we can see the proportions.
Keris pedang may well have been used by warriors, but my understanding of kocet-kocetan hilts is that thy were most appropriate for the priestly class. I would image this is more an ensemble put together for appearances than actual societal or cultural purposes. I nice acquisition regardless.

Hi David

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 10th December 2020, 03:16 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks for the full view and the cekah solas hilt definitely fits this ensemble better.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2020, 08:13 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Looks good.

According to Neka's Big Book of Keris, keris literate people in Bali believe it to be a keris for use in war:-

"Keris dengan bentuk semacam inilah yang diduga oleh para kalangan masyarakat perkerisan sebagai keris yang digunakan sebagai senjata perang."

It is the keris of a warrior.

The quote comes from the notes accompanying Ki Baju Rante P.218

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 11th December 2020 at 01:19 AM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2020, 12:52 AM   #9
Anthony G.

Thank you all for the valuable advice.