Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th January 2006, 07:24 PM   #1
ronpakis

Default indonesian art exhibition in amsterdam

although i understand that for most forum members The Netherlands is a bit to far, perhaps for the other ones this is interesting:

In the "Nieuwe kerk" in Amsterdam until april 17th 2006 there is an extremely nice exhibition of indonesian artefacts. It is called: Indonesia de ontdekking van het verleden / indonesia discovery of the past.

If you like the museum in Leiden or the royal instituut of the tropics in amsterdam this is a must!!

Al items are collected by famous (you can argue about the following term) "collectors" like Nieuwenhuis,in the 19th or early 20th century in indonesia. There are kerisses with golden ukiran from bali, 10th century hindu-javanesejewellery etc etc. Al items are accompanied with information about date / collector / provenance.

greetings ron
ronpakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2006, 10:11 PM   #2
nechesh

Thanks Ron, yet another reason i would like to visit your fair land.
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2006, 03:16 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I VISITED AMSTERDAM IN 1985 I THINK , I WENT SPECIFICALLY TO SEE ALL THE TALL SHIPS THERE FOR SAIL 85. IT WAS A GREAT PLACE AND THERE ARE MANY MUSEUMS , GOOD FOOD, WOMEN AND LOTS OF FUN. I HAVE ALWAYS THOUGHT I WOULD RETURN TO SEE THE TOWN AND THE SHIPS AGAIN SOMEDAY, IT WOULD BE NEAT IF THE CURRENT INDONESIAN EXHIBIT AND THE BIG SAIL IN OCCURED DURING THE SAME PERIOD.IF IT DID I MIGHT HAVE TO SELL SOMETHING AND SNEAK OVER AGAIN.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2006, 03:59 AM   #4
nechesh

Oh sure Barry, "tall ships", eh? Is that what they're calling it these days?
nechesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2006, 07:45 AM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Oh come on now Nechesh ; Barry's not going over to visit STIX or KADINSKY for the ak47 .... or the Reeperbahn for that matter .

Amsterdam is a lovely town ; I'd like to return there and Copenhagen too !
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2006, 03:20 PM   #6
VANDOO
(deceased)

Talking

I THINK THAT TALL SAILING SHIPS UNDER FULL SAIL ARE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL THING CREATED BY MAN. IT WAS GREAT FUN WATCHING THE VARIOUS CREWS WANDER THE STREETS LOOKING AT THE OTHER CREWS UNIFORMS AND GIRLS. A SHIP FROM SOUTH AMERICA WON THE COMPETICIAN THEY HAD THE FANCYEST UNIFORM AND A SWORD AND DAGGER AND A WOMAN ON EACH ARM . IN AMSTERDAM THERE ARE MANY WONDERFUL WORKS OF ART AND SOME WOMEN WHO ARE WORKS OF ART ,OF COURSE ONE MUST WATCH OUT AS SOME OF THEM ARE AS MENTIONED IN A OLD SONG " A NICE GIRL A PROPER GIRL BUT ONE OF THE ROVIN KIND"
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote