Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th June 2017, 07:33 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default An unusual blade

Here is an unusual blade that I'd expect to be Sumatran.

There are differing opinions as to where this was made.
Henri was kind enough to produce one from his own collection reputed to be Bugis Salayer. Other thoughts range from Minangkabau to Pagar Alam.

Its clearly Bugis, but so far from the norm with the central features placed in this specific manner, that I am at a loss at to how to attribute it.
The broad bevelled edges are typical of the bugis "penghulu" keris types which are typically central Sumatra to my eye, but the absence of a clear hexagonal cross section and the introduction of the faceted central section leaves me asking, where from?

Gavin
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Jean

The blade has apparently no pamor pattern(?) and it does not clearly look Bugis to me (but Bugis influenced). I never saw a similar blade identified as Sumatran but who knows?
Best regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 01:54 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

hmmm...i would have placed it on the Peninsula.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 05:45 PM   #4
Jean

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
hmmm...i would have placed it on the Peninsula.
Me too in absence of any similar reference from Indonesia... It would help to see the hilt & scabbard if they are original or at least old of course.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2017, 10:40 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Gavin, does the "differential heat treatment" produce dark edges and a lighter coloured blade centre, or a dark front section of the blade, with a lighter coloured base?
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 03:03 AM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

After looking at it off and on today, I get a peninsular feel from it also.
I'm not sure myself when what seems to be a forging flaw (if my eyes don't deceive me) becomes pamor.
If that's the original patina you've got to wonder if a stain would be out of place.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 03:27 AM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Gavin, does the "differential heat treatment" produce dark edges and a lighter coloured blade centre, or a dark front section of the blade, with a lighter coloured base?
Hi Alan,

It is the later, dark front section, lighter base.

Gavin
Old 15th June 2017, 01:56 PM   #8
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean
The blade has apparently no pamor pattern(?) and it does not clearly look Bugis to me (but Bugis influenced). I never saw a similar blade identified as Sumatran but who knows?
Best regards
Hi Jean,

Have you ever seen a similar blade with these features?

I have not treated the blade in any way buy there could be something subtle in the blade when I give consideration to its typical layered gonjo.
Under a bright light there holds some potential throughout the blades surfaces, but nothing in the traditional pamor sense, but certainly a clear differential heat treatment that I cannot capture with the camera...

With regards to pamor and this blade; the single open line running the length of one face only (the image presented) can be considered a pamor. With reference to Newbold's work and other keris I have seen and own, this occurrence could be considered as pamor tiga alif, an occurrence which I doubt is random as I do not believe random was ever the desire in any keris forging.

I've another very large old sepakol blade with a rather mono-steel looking blade but three perfectly spaced and placed openings in one face only, (the same face as this keris I present above) and in the same open manner, albiet more precise in the other keris...it is Alif pamor.

Gavin