Default Zubeng tang jian commision

Sword Review Zubeng Tang Jian

Specifications:

Blade Material: Master Chen’s Tamahagane
Layers: between 1 and 2 million layers
Weight of blade: 1100g
Materials of Furniture: Silver with Gold filigree/inlay

A pic to start with and then the story!

A little of my background - I have been studying and collecting mostly custom swords for over a decade. I teach and train in ZNKR Iaido, Jodo, Muso Shinden Ryu Iai and Shinto Muso Ryu Jo (sounds like a lot but it really is only two martial arts and they really form one.

Anyway I have always been fascinated by the Chinese arts and their association as predecessor to the Japanese arts both martial and craftwise.

After seeing the fantastic thread on another forum by Master Rich Chen on his traditional sword making I decided to contact him about a Jian commission.

We had numerous discussions as I really had a stereotypical Jian in mind and I thought to discuss and negotiate what “I” wanted. Master Chen was very polite and direct, he said “There are many ways, I have my way” or words to that effect and went on to discuss what he does and why.

I tried to get the price down (I am embarrassed to admit) and Master Chen was very friendly, polite and thanked me for my interest in real Chinese swords and said that he hoped that one day I would own one of his swords.

I understand that Master Chen has been approached by the Chinese government to make swords for heads of state, presidents from other countries etc for special presentations. I tossed and turned and spent quite a bit of time considering this large purchase. I realised that here is a man with such passion, knowledge and skills in his craft and here I am haggling over price and details!

Anyway I realised that I was talking with a man with great honour and sent an email to ask a couple more questions to clarify some points and then proceed.

I didn’t hear back from him for a few days I sent another couple of emails – I can’t remember exactly and assumed that he just got tired of this foreigners tiresome questions. ( I later found out that the constant black-outs and loss of power had caused the break in conversation ) During this time I decided to contact another high end smith and commissioned and paid for a very expensive and high end Jian.

The following day, I received an email from Master Chen apologising for the delay in response and explaining what had happened – ahhhhhhhghhhh. Bloody hell I had just spent a great deal of money on what will certainly be a great sword… but, the more I thought about his swords made from iron sand the more I desired one.

I sold quite few things scraped together the 50% deposit and the job was started. If my wife ever finds out I will find out first hand how sharp the sword is!!!

I have always thought that with commissions from people like Patrick Barta, Jake Powning, Vince Evans, John Lundemo and other best of the best of the Western style smiths that the wisest thing is let them have freedom to make what they wanted to make as they are the artists.

I ordered a style from his website but said to him that is there was anything he wanted to do different, then I have complete faith that he will only release a sword that he is 100% happy with.

Last edited by Jason Anstey; 26th August 2009 at 05:19 AM.
Jason Anstey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Jason Anstey

Master Chen performs a bend test on the forged blade

Clay coating

Clay with charcoal powder.

Old 25th August 2009, 03:00 PM   #3
Jason Anstey

Polishing

Old 25th August 2009, 03:01 PM   #4
Jason Anstey

Fittings – Hand engraved silver with gold inlay. This design is a one off.

Chiseling of Master Chen’s signature on the tang

Certification

Old 25th August 2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Jason Anstey

The sword will arrive this week and I will tell more!

Hope you enjoy the pics

Jason
Old 27th August 2009, 05:33 AM   #6
Nathaniel

Oh, man, you are a teaser, Jason....Can't wait to hear your review! Thanks for sharing The arrival of a new piece is always exciting...just like Christmas all over again for us grown men :P hahaha
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Jason Anstey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
Oh, man, you are a teaser, Jason....Can't wait to hear your review! Thanks for sharing The arrival of a new piece is always exciting...just like Christmas all over again for us grown men :P hahaha
hehehehe, Yep, I keep checking the tracking of the parcel, it is on route, but will probably arrive this coming tuesday!

Cheers

Jason
Old 28th August 2009, 07:40 AM   #8
ThePepperSkull

Very interesting looking piece. I look foreward to further review once you recieve it!
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 07:59 AM   #9
KuKulzA28

Looks like it's going to be a beauty...
Good to see traditional smithy arts live and kickin'... a lot of traditional arts were purposely destroyed in China.
KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 06:47 AM   #10
Jason Anstey

Default Final review

Overall Length: 119cm (46.9”)
Length of Blade 79cm (31.1”) (measured from habaki)
PoB: 19cm from Guard (7.5”)

When I received with sword and knowing the journey this has taken nearly brought tears to my eyes, I knew the sword would be superb but this really just blew me away! It FAR exceeds my very high expectations. The fittings are beautifully detailed, I would say them the theme is Sakura (Cherry blossoms) but am not sure if this is the same meaning in Chinese? Silver will tarnish quickly so I think that when the silver takes on the darker tones this will add further character to the sword.

I spent a large amount of money I truly believe that I got a bargain and certainly an Heirloom piece. I think my sword spending is over for a while now but as we all know this collecting passion we have here is an addiction – oh well bread and water for me for a while now!

So here are the pics – hats off to you guys that can photograph swords well because it is sooo difficult! BTW the katanakake is one I made a few years ago from West Australian Jarrah – I will continue my search for a vertical stand.

I have better sharper images if anyone is interested?
Old 2nd September 2009, 06:52 AM   #11
ThePepperSkull

Beautiful! I agree that once the shine of the fittings starts to diminish, it will add character to it. Patinated fittings always look great.

What is the handle wrapped with? Rayskin?
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 07:01 AM   #12
Jason Anstey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePepperSkull
Beautiful! I agree that once the shine of the fittings starts to diminish, it will add character to it. Patinated fittings always look great.

What is the handle wrapped with? Rayskin?
Hi mate

Yep the handle is a nice high quality rayskin with quite large nodes and obviously polished a little and lacquered

Yeah it is a good thing is that silver doesn't take long to lose the bling

Thanks for your kind comments.

Jase
Old 2nd September 2009, 07:08 AM   #13
KuKulzA28

The jian's usage in a duel is sometimes described as "death by a thousand cuts".
Make sure you handle your beautiful heirloom-worthy blade with utmost care!

It is beautiful, and I hope the patina will, like fine wine, only improve with age.
Old 2nd September 2009, 07:10 AM   #14
Jason Anstey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
The jian's usage in a duel is sometimes described as "death by a thousand cuts".
Make sure you handle your beautiful heirloom-worthy blade with utmost care!

It is beautiful, and I hope the patina will, like fine wine, only improve with age.

It will certainly be death by a thousand cuts if my wife finds out what I spent !

Cheers mate

Jase
Old 2nd September 2009, 07:39 AM   #15
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Anstey
It will certainly be death by a thousand cuts if my wife finds out what I spent !

Cheers mate

Jase
Wives and Knives... *sigh* 'nuff said.
Talk smooth and stay safe. Remember, she's right, but you keep the sword!
Old 2nd September 2009, 11:35 AM   #16
Gavin Nugent

Default Outstaning

Congrats!

An outstanding example of modern craftsman's abilities, I am very impressed. The finished product is stunning.
I personally would love to see sharper images and if given the opportunity, speak with you at length about the ins and outs of the project, I think I want an heirloom piece too......

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:16 PM   #17
Jason Anstey

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Congrats!

An outstanding example of modern craftsman's abilities, I am very impressed. The finished product is stunning.
I personally would love to see sharper images and if given the opportunity, speak with you at length about the ins and outs of the project, I think I want an heirloom piece too......

Gav
Thanks Gav!

I have a few 32mb files! But is really hard to photograph the detail of blade and the tightness of the grain etc.

Happy to discuss any aspects - PM me and I will give my phone numbers (as you are in Brizzy) and email details. If you ever get over to Perth you can check it out in person over a couple of middies.

Cheers

Jason

Old 5th September 2009, 04:22 AM   #18
Nathaniel

Jason,

Stunning piece...blend of traditional and contemporary look Very fine craftsmanship. It will be interesting to hear how it compares to your other commissioned piece you mention by the other smith.

So you are keeping secret the price tag from your wife...lol, I'm sure a lot of us can identify with that...or rather my wife avoids asking What does she think of your knew dandy?
Nathaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 02:02 PM   #19
Jason Anstey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel
Jason,

Stunning piece...blend of traditional and contemporary look Very fine craftsmanship. It will be interesting to hear how it compares to your other commissioned piece you mention by the other smith.

So you are keeping secret the price tag from your wife...lol, I'm sure a lot of us can identify with that...or rather my wife avoids asking What does she think of your knew dandy?
Cheers mate,

My wife is on Holidays for another 3 weeks, so I have plenty of time to work out my excuses

jase
Old 5th September 2009, 02:10 PM   #20
Gavin Nugent

Default How did you do that.

Lucky man Jase,

I want to know you secret on how you got the wife to go on holidays and leave you in peace for that long.
I'll call early this coming week and you can give me a few tips then.
I loved the images and data, all the best.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 02:55 PM   #21
Jason Anstey

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
Lucky man Jase,

I want to know you secret on how you got the wife to go on holidays and leave you in peace for that long.
I'll call early this coming week and you can give me a few tips then.
I loved the images and data, all the best.

Gav
ahhh, she's visiting family and I had to come home to work to pay for these "inexpensive" toys were are all so passionate about.

Look forward to chatting soon Gav

Cheers

Jase