Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th August 2007, 10:13 AM   #1
Freddy

Thumbs up Small = Nice !

I found this piece on the Bruges antique market yesterday. Couldn't resist buying it.

It's a very small African knife, complete with its sheath. The seller told me it came from Congo, but I'm not sure of this. Could also be West-Africa.

This piece has a length of 16,5 cm in its sheath. The blade itself measures 8,6 cm and is 2,1 cm wide.
What is interesting, I think, is the blade. The shaped reminds me of the blades from some pocket knives I have in my collection.
There's also no tang protruding from the top of the handle (as so often seen on African knives).
Could it be that a clever African found a good blade of a pocket knife and converted it to an African piece ?

Here are some pics

Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Freddy

Arrow

Here's the piece compared to some of my European pocket knives

Old 6th August 2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Tim Simmons

Universal function. nice with good scabbard .
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 11:24 AM   #4
Bill M

Wonder if, with the phallic shaped scabbard, it could have been a circumcision knife? Could still have been made from a pocket knife.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 12:52 PM   #5
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Wonder if, with the phallic shaped scabbard, it could have been a circumcision knife? Could still have been made from a pocket knife.

Good point Bill, the scabbard is extremely well made ...which suggests the sheath is important in identifying it's function. Very interesting knife Freddy.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2007, 08:36 PM   #6
kronckew

if that is a circumcision knife, i'd be wondering what kind of leather the sheath was made of.

there was a documentary on last night about a celeb travelling along the equator in africa, he went to visit a group of circumciser shamans, they do about 300 boys roughly 13 yrs old in one ceremony twice a year, works out about one boy every 12 seconds. i am glad i was a baby when they did me in a hospital .....they showed the circumciser's knife, it looked like a thin hand forged spearpoint blade about 6in. long, inch or so wide, no fullers or central rib, with a simple nondescript leather covered grip. just a cheap old rough knife with no carving at all. not to say there are not variations....
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 04:24 AM   #7
elevennevele

I'm starting to get dizzy...

I wonder if this is the usual case of treasuring something more with additional information, or has the item become something more than one bargained for. One question though... the scarab is clearly phallic, however why does the blade edge of this knife look battered/ragged in such a way if it was to perform circumcisions? I'm not sure if I would want to hear the testimonial of the recipient of this knife.

Ok, starting to get dizzy again...
elevennevele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 06:53 PM   #8
Freddy

Arrow

I don't know if it's a circumcision knife. The edge of the blade is too serrated and I don't think it's sharp enough to do the job.

On the other hand, Bill, you could be right as to the phallic shape of the hilt. In African art this is often used. Could have some symbolic meaning.
Old 7th August 2007, 07:17 PM   #9
Flavio

From the pommel on the hilt seems to me Manding. Very nice!
Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 07:23 PM   #10
Tim Simmons

I think you are right Flavio. Certainly that area.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2007, 07:59 PM   #11
Freddy

Arrow

You could be right, Flavio. Also the leather loop at the back of the sheath reminds me of Manding knives.

But, if it's not a circumcision knife, why would anyone want such a small knife ? Perhaps a woman's knife ?

Ik know the women of the Mangbetu tribe have small daggers for daily use. They have the same shape as the daggers used by men, only the size is different (much smaller).
Old 8th August 2007, 10:31 PM   #12
CourseEight

Default Similar Knife

Hi --

I got this knife on ebay a bit ago, and it seems similar to yours in size and configuration. What with the leather tassles, from what I have seen elsewhere on the forum, mine certainly looks Manding. Also, it seems the tip of the scabbard is designed to hold the tassles, so maybe it isn't intentionally phallic?

Hope this is helpful...

--Radleigh
Attached Images

CourseEight is offline   Reply With Quote