Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th October 2009, 02:16 PM   #1
bluelake

Default Portuguese Matchlock?

I am doing doctoral research on black powder and firearms in Korea's Joseon dynasty (1392-1910). Korea's main long arm, from the late 16th century to the late 19th century, was the matchlock. It was patterned after Japanese matchlocks, who had patterned theirs after ones brought by the Portuguese in the mid-16th century. However, I cannot seem to find a "Portuguese" matchlock to reference. Are there any pictures of them that anyone knows of? Also, Koreans show in their historical records that their matchlocks were improved after Dutch matchlocks fell into their hands in the mid-17th century; I wondering what improvements there might have been.

Thanks for any help!

T

Below are Korean matchlocks in display at the Korean Army Museum at the Korea Military Academy.
Attached Images

bluelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Atlantia

Interesting, I've never seen Korean matchlocks before. I've edited the pic to try and lighten it, hope you don't mind.
Attached Images

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 06:15 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi, Bluelake welcome to the forum,
While members with more expertize don't show up, let me try and give a little empyrical aproach to the subject.
The so called Portuguese matchlock introduced in Japan, derives from the Bohemian Schnapp-Lunte, brought to Portugal and later taken to the Goa arsenals where it was subject to a local fusion, by influence of Portuguese Vice-Roys. It was from here, namely from the 'house of ten thousand muskets' that these weapons were spread to all Asia, including their introduction in Japan.
It is this system evolution that achieved the current name of Indo-Portuguese matchlock.
I guess it is not easy to find originals of these weapons; i have read that the Japanese officials have tried hard, and all they could find was some late versions.
If you care for some sketches, allusive designs, replicas and the like, i can post some material in this thread.
Fernando
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 07:45 PM   #4
fernando

Are these useful ?

Attached Images

Old 15th October 2009, 07:46 PM   #5
fernando

Attached Images

Old 16th October 2009, 12:04 AM   #6
bluelake

Thanks, everyone! The information is excellent. The drawings and pictures are very much appreciated.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of improvements would have come to Korea with Dutch matchlocks in the mid-17th century?

By the way, this past summer, while visiting my folks in the States, I spent a lot of my time shooting a Korean/Japanese reproduction matchlock I had a gunsmith craft for me. It was quite an experience in itself, as it helped me to understand that type of matchlock better.
Attached Images

bluelake is offline   Reply With Quote