Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th August 2023, 09:03 AM   #1
JustYS

Default Simple Balinese Keris

I would like to share my first Balinese Keris, nothing fancy but I quite like it.

I obtained it from a young Pande, made in 2020 according to him.

He told me that he would also send me some sort of certificate later, so I gave him the location where I stay in Bali and did not think much of it.

Three days later I’ve received this lontar, unfortunately I cannot read hanacaraka, I guess I have to ask him what was written here.

Cheers,
Attached Images

JustYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2023, 12:36 PM   #2
milandro

I certainly like it, and the fact that it is very new doesn't detract at all from its qualities. I like the pamor and the simplicity of its design.

I think you have done very well. Whatever the certificate says it is a sign of quality and distinction.

I like the hilt too, makes me think of the hilt I show here

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...651#post283651

Which I have found out it is Tualen
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2023, 03:31 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

hmmm...while there are certainly far more elaborate Balinese keris i'm not sure my opening line would include "nothing fancy".
Firstly, an unusual 19 luk keris. It is believed that such keris that are outside the normal upper end luk count are generally considered suited for people outside the normal social strata such as artists or performers.
The kamardikan blade seems to be nicely sculpted and the 19 luks appear to be handled pretty well. Just because a keris doesn't have kembang kacang doesn't mean it is simplistic. And the gonjo (is it gonjo yuyu rumpung?) i would even say qualifies as "fancy'. And the dress is a recent version of the formal serengatan style sheath and a togogan (figural) hilt. While these don't appear to be the highest level of fine carving that can be found on such dress it seems fairly decent and as a formal form sort sort of negates the idea of "nothing fancy".
And then, of course, you have this lontar that the pande sent you as a "certificate". I can't read it either and if this were mine i would probably request a translation from the pande. But it does help make this somewhat of a "special" package.
All in all this seems to be an attractive kamardikan keris.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2023, 03:00 AM   #4
JustYS

Thank you Milandro, yes it can be Twalen. Image of real life Twalen:

Thank you David for your info, as I mentioned this is my first Balinese keris, somehow I always imagine Balinese keris with heavy silver pendok, ivory hilts, and some sort of kinatah. At least from what I saw in internet and museums, hence my used of word simple and not fancy.

Do you know if there is any equivalent to Pak HHG’s Keris Jawa for Keris Bali?
Maybe Keris Bali Bersejarah?

Cheers,
Attached Images

Old 14th August 2023, 03:16 AM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Question How About A close Up

I think we'd need a better close-up picture of the handle to decide whether it is Twalen or not. If I recall correctly Twalen does not have fangs and I believe I see fangs on this hilt.

It is a very nice keris.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2023, 04:52 AM   #6
jagabuwana

I agree with David - nothing simple about it. I really like this keris and I'm quite partial to those robust gonjos. Thanks for sharing, JustYS.
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2023, 07:44 AM   #7
JustYS

Yes Rick, you are right this one has fangs.

Thank you jagabuwana.
Attached Images

Old 18th August 2023, 08:14 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustYS View Post
Yes Rick, you are right this one has fangs.

Thank you jagabuwana.
Yes, certainly not Twalen. I would hesitate to name this character, especially since it is obviously a rather recent hilt. But he would fall into the demon category i believe, with his bulging eyes and fangs.
Yes, there are indeed high level Bali keris out there that can be quite blingy, some rightfully so if they are indeed of court origin, but many recent era keris that are dressed in that manner these days just to attract the eyes of collectors. Yours is a much more honest approach for keris in this current era category. But i would not say simple.

Last edited by David; 19th August 2023 at 04:24 PM.
David is offline   Reply With Quote