Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th December 2012, 08:41 AM   #1
Cerjak

Default Japanese matchlock Teppo

Hi everybody

Just for show a new buying: a small Teppo ( 79,5 cm).
I would like to learn more about Japanese matchlock gun so if someone could suggest me good book or website it will be great.
Any comments or picture from similar Gun will be welcome

Best regards
CERJAK
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 04:46 PM   #2
trenchwarfare

Very interesting piece. I own five, and have owned a few more. Have yet to get my hands on a "carbine" length example. There are only two modern publications on the subject, that I know of. Volumes one and two of "The Japanese Matchlock -A story of the Tanegashima-" By Shigea Sugawa. Volume 1 is in English, the other in Japanese. There are some older books available, but they are all in Japanese, and quite expensive.
Given the simplicity of construction, and crudeness of decoration, I'd guess that your gun is either a gunsmiths early attenpt, or something made for the tourist trade. It does show signs of long term use. Whatever it is, I like it!
I'll see if I can come with more info.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 06:10 PM   #3
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenchwarfare
Very interesting piece. I own five, and have owned a few more. Have yet to get my hands on a "carbine" length example. There are only two modern publications on the subject, that I know of. Volumes one and two of "The Japanese Matchlock -A story of the Tanegashima-" By Shigea Sugawa. Volume 1 is in English, the other in Japanese. There are some older books available, but they are all in Japanese, and quite expensive.
Given the simplicity of construction, and crudeness of decoration, I'd guess that your gun is either a gunsmiths early attenpt, or something made for the tourist trade. It does show signs of long term use. Whatever it is, I like it!
I'll see if I can come with more info.
Many thank for your help I will try to find this book in english .
I have with my teppo an expert appraisal from b.croissy ( French well know expert ) who says that it is a XIX century period so I hope it is a good one.
If you have some pictures from yours I will be happy to see them.
Best regards
CERJAK
Old 5th December 2012, 06:17 PM   #4
T. Koch

Wow, what an awesome gun! I really like it's lines and flow. It's also cool to see the Japanese minimalist aesthetics expressed in some of it parts, the cock for instance. Thanks for sharing it!

Take care, - Thor
T. Koch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2012, 07:29 PM   #5
estcrh

Cerjak, is the barrel bolt (bisen) removable?

Here is a link to Shigeo Sugawa's website, he has a lot of usefull information and pictures, you can purchase his book directly through his site by contacting him, the email address is on his site.
http://www.japaneseweapons.net/hinaw...ui/english.htm
Attached Images

Last edited by estcrh; 5th December 2012 at 07:41 PM.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 12:02 AM   #6
fearn

I have an off-the-wall question, for a project I'm working on: did the japanese have any bronze or brass-barreled matchlocks?

Thanks in advance,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2016, 03:58 AM   #7
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
I have an off-the-wall question, for a project I'm working on: did the japanese have any bronze or brass-barreled matchlocks? Thanks in advance, F
While looking at this thread I realized that I answered wrong here

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Fearn, as far as I know all there were no brass/bronze tanegashima, but the Japanese did cast small brass/bronze cannon with were ignited by hand.
There are actually quite a few bronze barreled Japanese matchlock pistols. Below are two examples, one is basically a hand cannon with little decoration, the other is a smaller caliber with a highly decorated barrel.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Cerjak

Default barrel bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Cerjak, is the barrel bolt (bisen) removable?

Here is a link to Shigeo Sugawa's website, he has a lot of usefull information and pictures, you can purchase his book directly through his site by contacting him, the email address is on his site.
http://www.japaneseweapons.net/hinaw...ui/english.htm
Cerjak
Very good website ,a lot of information on it !
About this barrel ‘s square bolt it seems that it could be removable but it is rusty and there is a kind of black protective paint I Guess against the rust so It will be hard to remove it and I would be worry to do it.
But tell me more about those bolts are they always removable?
Regards
Old 6th December 2012, 05:24 PM   #9
trenchwarfare

Most of my breach-plugs, can be removed with the fingers. Sometimes a large nail, or similar metal rod is needed. Sounds like yours has been sealed against moisture. One more thing, always check old muzzle loaders, to see if they are loaded. At least 1/3 of the ones I have handled over the years, were. Drop the ram-rod down the barrel, and then mark it to see how deep it goes. Should go at least to the touch hole.
trenchwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote