Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th August 2011, 03:59 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Visayan Dagger

A nice visayan dagger with a spear point diamond shaped blade. The blade is just short of 12 inches and does have some damage to the tip. The overall length of of the dagger is 16-1/2 inches. The scabbard has a couple of replacement bands that someone used glue to hold in place that will probably be removed and replaced with the proper style after it arrives. My main question is, is this a rare blade style for the visayans as I have not seen very many like this? All information and comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 06:09 PM   #2
tom hyle

I don't think it's so much rare as not much noticed
I've been seeing numbers of them lately.
They seem to me a version of gunong.
Often there is a slight forward curve to the blade.
Sometimes they are one-sided, with a "triangular" cross-section
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 01:40 AM   #3
FilAmfighter1

Default Spear blade

I have seen wood trainers like this from the Visayan region, I remember them have having name of Toya-kid Daga or something close to that. I will have to go back and look them up in my notes. There is specific grip used around Cebu for fighting with these when doing Espada Y Daga
FilAmfighter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello FilAmfighter1 and thank you for your help and for the information you have provided on this dagger. I am looking forward to any other information that you might be able to add in the future on this interesting piece. Thank you again.

Robert
Old 17th August 2011, 10:47 PM   #5
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Tom, I'm not sure what is going on but this is about the third time that you have posted a reply to one of my threads that did not show up for over twenty-four hours.

I haven't seen this style in any great number (though I have seen a couple with the triangular blade) and that was why I ask if it was one of the rarer blade styles. I do however have one other with the "slight forward curve to the blade" and it is also of a diamond cross section. I have on the other hand seen quite a few Philippine daggers with this blade style (as well as the other two styles you have mentioned) but they all have had Spanish influenced hilts. Thank you for your help.

Robert