Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th March 2016, 01:39 PM   #1
harrywagner

Default Keep or toss?

These two knives arrived in a group of mostly 70s era tourist crap from Yemen. There were a few keepers, but most of it is junk. The embossed backs on these two make me think they also belong in the junk pile. I would appreciate hearing what others think of them. Thanks!

Harry
Attached Images

harrywagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 03:46 PM   #2
ALEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrywagner
These two knives arrived in a group of mostly 70s era tourist crap from Yemen. There were a few keepers, but most of it is junk. The embossed backs on these two make me think they also belong in the junk pile. I would appreciate hearing what others think of them. Thanks!

Harry
Harry,
These are considered to be Turkish knifes, but also were made in Egypt during late Ottoman period. The more elaborate sample can be seen HERE, yours fall in similar category. The blades on yours are sheet-metal and silver and brass overlaid, they're not real but decorative knifes, early to mid 20th Century. The smaller one looks to have corals, but likely plastic or paste, and glass and paste beads on top one. They're ethnographically authentic, hence do not belong to the junk pile!
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 05:09 PM   #3
Kubur

Yes as Alex said all good. If you dont want them i will take them

The good ones have very nive repousse silver work on their back side.
Attached Images

Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2016, 11:43 PM   #4
harrywagner

Thanks Alex and Kubur! I must say I am surprised, and glad I asked
Old 16th March 2016, 04:16 PM   #5
harrywagner

There was one item in the lot that is similar (in style) to these but is much better quality. I'm still not sure what to make of it, but am convinced it is not junk. I'll post photos tonight. Thanks again for the help!
Old 16th March 2016, 10:58 PM   #6
harrywagner

These two were also in the same lot. They have similar decoration but are better quality. The one with the canvas midsection on the sheath also has a flat blade like the two that started this post, but is made of better steel than sheet metal. Possibly still a tourist item, but nice. Has some heft to it, and it is big: 15.5". I would call this a real knife.

The one with the white hilt (bone, I think) is 14.5 inches and has a Koummya blade. I would call it exceptional. That it was in the same lot with the others was a surprise. Well made, solid knife, and not too hard on the eyes either.

Harry
Attached Images

Old 17th March 2016, 12:10 AM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Some of these stones are colored bone and others glass. These other pieces are from around Morocco and are sold to tourists.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2016, 01:01 AM   #8
harrywagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Some of these stones are colored bone and others glass. These other pieces are from around Morocco and are sold to tourists.
Thank you.
Old 17th March 2016, 01:48 AM   #9
harrywagner

Looks like the entire lot was tourist crap. I am guessing these belong in the same pile? Thank!.
Attached Images

Old 18th March 2016, 06:12 AM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well...........yes unfortunately. The only possible exception might be the red hilted one on the left, but only better pictures would help me and I would want other voices chime in on that one.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 08:34 AM   #11
Kubur

Hi Harry,

The Morrocan daggers are not very old, around 1930 maybe more late, I have a bad feeling about the Yemeni ones... The Turkish ones with the coral stones, even from early 20th c. are still very valuable..

Last edited by Battara; 19th March 2016 at 04:05 AM. Reason: inappropriate wording
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2016, 12:41 PM   #12
harrywagner

Thanks everyone! The knives are not a big deal. I appreciate knowing the truth. Kubur, thank you for the information above the first two. I am surprised that they have any value, but I believe you. As embarrassed as I am having bought this lot I would be more embarrassed to sell them. That is, if they would even sell. I have a nephew that is also interested in knives, but who does not have much disposable income (like myself at his age). I will try and sell or trade the first two and gift the rest to him. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Harry