Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th October 2013, 08:16 PM   #1
manteris1

Default African Sword with European Mark

Hi Everyone, I have a new sword, African, Manding with a European mark. I would really like to identify this mark. The sword is 29" probably shorten......................thanks............... ..........jimmy
Attached Images

manteris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Iain

A pity the rest of the text is faded. However, the mark closely resembles one attributed to a British based maker P. Spitzer. Since this is clearly a "G" somebody, I would guess it could be a continuation of the same workshop perhaps. The style of the head at least is a pretty good match.

G Spitzer I know from later bayonet blades, but there's probably been a lot of folks with the name over time.
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013, 03:32 PM   #3
manteris1

thanks Iain...................jimmy
Old 26th October 2013, 05:40 PM   #4
CharlesS

Just noticing the baldric rings are on the edge side of the scabbard meaning that more then likely the sword hung edge side up under the wearer's shoulder...that might even explain why there are no superfluous ornamental tassals, etc. attached. This sword is all business!

Last edited by CharlesS; 26th October 2013 at 09:05 PM.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013, 07:47 PM   #5
archer

Default Unicorn Marks on koummiya

Jimmy, This makers mark appears on a koummiya They appear to be just initials with a period after each letter. The blade has remnants of silver plating. It's mounted in silver. I tried but, no luck as I recall finding out about the maker. Iains, suggestion may be correct. Regards, Steve

Oh, the sheath on this one has a Roman date 911 for 1911 made up of segments of coins, if I understand their system correctly. the second date looks to be 900 on another Koummiya. Please advise if I'm wrong and this this actually Arabic writing. Thanks, Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by archer; 27th October 2013 at 12:57 AM. Reason: more info
archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Iain

Great corroborating example Steve! I was more less taking a guess on Spitzer part, but seeing that your blade as the G.S. initials it becomes much clearer.

This would place it as a Solingen trade blade, which is about what you'd expect given the mounts and circumstances.

I've often wondered if some of these later Solingen blades started out as military pattern imports to equip local colonial forces?
Old 29th October 2013, 06:06 PM   #7
manteris1

What about the Unicorn Mark................jimmy
Old 29th October 2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default Unicorn Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manteris1
What about the Unicorn Mark................jimmy
Salaams manteris.. I didn't see the unicorn though I studied it for ages from different angles thinking it was some strange alphabet... soon as you said Unicorn my brain must have triggered (left brain right brain) and now it's clear. Thank you. Was the Unicorn the mark of GS swords?
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams manteris.. I didn't see the unicorn though I studied it for ages from different angles thinking it was some strange alphabet... soon as you said Unicorn my brain must have triggered (left brain right brain) and now it's clear. Thank you. Was the Unicorn the mark of GS swords?
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Yes... The examples shown in this thread are unicorn marks... I would have noted this but I thought it was clear. It's a variation on an older mark with the full bodied animal.
Old 30th October 2013, 08:30 AM   #10
thinreadline

G.S. written in this style is also the mark of British bayonet maker George Salter & Co . They were based in Birmingham.
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2013, 08:32 AM   #11
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
A pity the rest of the text is faded. However, the mark closely resembles one attributed to a British based maker P. Spitzer. Since this is clearly a "G" somebody, I would guess it could be a continuation of the same workshop perhaps. The style of the head at least is a pretty good match.

G Spitzer I know from later bayonet blades, but there's probably been a lot of folks with the name over time.
Hi Iain
Of course I am aware that in the 19th C , the British government used a lot of Solingen contract blade makers ( culminating in the great bayonet scandal of the 1880s ) , many of whom were based in Britai , but do you have any pictures of Spitzer marked British blades ? I have many of these contract blades but to date have never encountered a Spitzer marked one .
Old 30th October 2013, 12:52 PM   #12
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
Hi Iain
Of course I am aware that in the 19th C , the British government used a lot of Solingen contract blade makers ( culminating in the great bayonet scandal of the 1880s ) , many of whom were based in Britai , but do you have any pictures of Spitzer marked British blades ? I have many of these contract blades but to date have never encountered a Spitzer marked one .
Sadly I don't, the reference was from one of the blade mark compendiums. I'll see if I can post an image later on, but it doesn't offer anything beyond a sketch of the unicorn head, the name and the mention of Britain.
Old 30th October 2013, 03:17 PM   #13
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain

Hi again Ian ,
I cannot locate the maker P- Spitzer but I have just checked out a ref in John Walters German Bayonets book...he mentions a Carl Gustav Spitzer 1873 - 1972 Solingen, Felder Str.
Stamp; a wide variety of marks applied including BAAS and Codex, devices used include a lion, a lion and a fish, a hammock, crossed open pocket iknives and the head of a farmer.
As you say , a late comer into the bayonet field not known to have been involved in the manufacture of edged weapons until c1938.
(Ref Walter p 158) .
Old 30th October 2013, 03:47 PM   #14
thinreadline

I enquired with a friend who has an extensive library and he has just checked the two volume set by Schlesinger of the Solingen rolls/registers and has found a Gottried Spitzer 1865 and a Hans Peter Spitzer 1719 .
Old 30th October 2013, 03:54 PM   #15
manteris1

you guys are the best....................jimmy
Old 31st October 2013, 09:08 AM   #16
thinreadline

And just to add further to the mystery .. here is an Italian pistol from the 1860s with a very similar GS on it !
Attached Images

Old 1st November 2013, 09:19 AM   #17
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinreadline
And just to add further to the mystery .. here is an Italian pistol from the 1860s with a very similar GS on it !

Salaams thinredline, Was that not Guillaume Scholberg of Liege ?.. Famous Belgian gunmaking family.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013, 02:45 PM   #18
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams thinredline, Was that not Guillaume Scholberg of Liege ?.. Famous Belgian gunmaking family.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
You may well be right ..... but I have seen GS on a number of Italian guns too , including this one .