Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 22nd June 2014, 01:13 PM   #1
JanisE

Default Viking sword parts

Hallo!
I'm a new member. I do metal detecting and my best find is viking sword bronze parts, what I want to do with them - make a full sword copy for myself and sell the original parts. The blade will be ready in few days, I decided not to forge it but grind, material is 65G ( 65Г ). As I consulted this would match, photos next week. What do you say, how can I make a copy of bronze parts, can I use brass?
Attached Images

JanisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2014, 06:30 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Now THAT is a fascinating question, and circumstance!!! and by the way welcome to the forum.....outstanding entrance Janis. I must admit that here obviously we always see swords intact but in the case of these components, even detached they are every bit as exciting as the full sword itself.
Each one deserves full attention as to what period, region and what exiting history may reside within each item whether full sword, or part of it.

Thank you so much for your posting! and I'm sure those well informed on these matters will advance soon!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:34 AM   #3
Lee
EAAF Staff

Thumbs up Nice find!

Very nice and a great find. I expect these would have been with a sword going into the ground but that the blade perished over time. Bronze or brass copies could well suit a newly made blade and I suspect that an artist that does casting or a small workshop could help you with this. The originals could be coated with something on the order of Paraloid B-72 to protect the patina (because losing that would diminish the value of your find) with the holes filled over the Paraloid and then molds for using the sand casting process could be made.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2014, 03:28 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams Janis E,
I can show you what would have happened to the blades....The swords from the museum at Hedeby pictured below are taken from a Wikepedia note illustrate similar Viking Sword parts nicely;

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Attached Images

Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2014, 08:08 AM   #5
JanisE

Thanks! Ok, the blade is on the process. Yesterday started it with my colleague forger. He knows lot about swords, axes, spears and other armories.You can see, the first thing was milled channel in middle of the blade. Next, I made a shape, cut it off, and started to grind. Thats all for this week, continue in few days!
Attached Images

JanisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2015, 04:45 AM   #6
Josh Combs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanisE
Hallo!
I'm a new member. I do metal detecting and my best find is viking sword bronze parts, what I want to do with them - make a full sword copy for myself and sell the original parts. The blade will be ready in few days, I decided not to forge it but grind, material is 65G ( 65Г ). As I consulted this would match, photos next week. What do you say, how can I make a copy of bronze parts, can I use brass?
Great find! Did you look around very hard for the upper guard? You have the Pommel and the lower guard(cross guard) but missing the upper guard. It would be smaller and resembling in design the canoe like cross guard.

Also consider just finding a sculptor that can work in wax and have them reproduced that way. They wouldn't be exact copies so to speak but since there is a missing piece and you may have to have it replicated one way or another anyway...it might be a solution that suits you. If all the parts are just done in wax you could just have them cast right away and wouldn't need to make molds at all. Those pieces wouldn't be hard to sculpturally reproduce and it would save on mold making. Also, you wouldn't be risking any damage to the well preserved artifacts.

I'd stick with Bronze personally since they were originally and also because I like the look...but since it is a sword just for you I'd suggest whatever makes you happy and that's all that matters.
Josh Combs is offline   Reply With Quote