Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th April 2016, 12:59 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Default club restore? or not?

I have wanted this form of Solomon Island club for many years since I gave one away. There are many types some with stone heads others a bit smaller and of heavier wood. Now I have this old club but sadly rather too user worn. The decorative palm weave has been worn away from the natural hand hold area. Here are the sellers pictures and mine. I have done the easy bit with the MOP but do I tackle the wave? I have palm leaves that I can cut into strips and black grass {handle detail picture} but it is I think too short to use. I could used a dark brown New Zealand flax, lots of length but not as black. The biggest problem is, no way do I have the weaving skills. I might just about copy the weaving on the smallest club which has had the weave eaten by insects not enough to really bother me. Should I just accept the large club the way it is old and worn but the real thing. I would rather not be hit on the head with it, massive hurty.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 01:46 PM   #2
mariusgmioc

Hello,

In my oppinion is less important whether is antique, vintage or made this year, as long as it is made in the original/traditional way, employing original/traditional materials and technique.

Of course this is not valid for all antiques and objects.

Just my thought.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 02:59 PM   #3
Tim Simmons

I could keep the coconut fibre bindings but remove the weave all together. Then with powdered charcoal and coconut oil or mucilage glue even the black on the bare handle. The coconut bindings would still suggest that the handle was once cover in a weave of some sort?
Old 19th April 2016, 04:31 PM   #4
Battara
EAAF Staff

I love these! What great examples.

I would say that fully restoring these in the traditional way is the best way to go. Besides, restoration is a tradition with many pieces, as long as it was in the tradition from which they come.

By the way, how old are these?
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 05:39 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

I have decided to live with it as it is. It tells its own story of use. These are not modern examples. There is every chance that they could well have been made circa turn of the 19th 20th century, certainly in the first quarter which is still early for Solomon Island material. So I am very lucky.
Old 19th April 2016, 07:01 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
I have decided to live with it as it is.
Hello Tim,

in this case the correct decision IMHO.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 07:18 PM   #7
ariel

Agree 100%.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 08:21 AM   #8
Philip

Yes, Tim, you made the right choice. The tradition in those cultures may be to replace as needed, but for us, far removed in place and time, that is highly problematic. The effort would not be credible unless the same materials of the right dimension are installed with precisely the same technique and effect. From your photos, you seem to have an example with intact wrapping, so what's the point? The club with the mostly-missing covering has a pleasing patina from handling so it's understandable why the fiber wrap isn't anywhere near perfect condition. Better to stabilize what's there so it doesn't deteriorate further, avoid excessive hand contact in the area, and enjoy it just the way it is.

You might want to try some of the neutral, acid-free pastes that bookbinders use in their restoration jobs to anchor the loose ends in place so they don't unravel any further.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 01:59 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

Thank you all, it does help to talk about things sometimes.