Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th February 2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Stan S.

Default Display Rack

Can anyone tell me if commercially available sword racks allow for the swords to be suspended diagonally (in other words, crossed) rather than horizonthaly? Also, are there any manufacturers that produce them in mahogany finish?
Attached Images

Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Andrew

I have not seen any, Stan. Most commercially produced racks are of the type you show.

The best way to hang/display weapons as you describe (in my experience) is to use thin wire and either small nails or picture hangers. Do a search for "display" or similar in the archives and you will find some threads where members have shared some of their solutions.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Andrew

Oh, and incidentally, in my personal opinion, I dislike "racks" as they tend to detract from the weapons themselves. The rack you show is really not so much for display, but for heavier use in a martial art setting (e.g. to hold bokken and/or staffs which are regularly used in training).
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Stan S.

I am trying to avoid driving too many holes into my wall The collection I wish to display is quite large and consists of at least 15-20 swords, not too mention some shorter pieces, and is expected to grow. The idea was to utilze a few of these racks mounted side by side with swords being suspended diogonally behind my collection of shields - which would cover up most of the racks anyway exposing just the hilts and blade tips. Sort of like a classic way to display arms (see picture below) but with a clear Indo persian theme...
Attached Images

Old 17th February 2012, 07:48 PM   #5
rickystl

Hi Stan. Go to www.gunstands.com
You will notice they also offer sword racks - and in Mohogany. The horizonal rack shown in the photo is for swords without scabbards. But they will make them with a loop on both ends for scabbards.
I have purchased 5 racks from them - in Mahogany - and really like them. Two of mine were custom ordered.
They will make most anything you can dream up. And, I found their quality very good and their pricing very reasonable. They are very easy to work with.

I agree with Andrew that racks in general do somewhat distract from the beauty of the weapon. But if you own alot of stuff (LOL) like me, the racks are the only logical answer.

The Mahogany racks I bought from them look way better than anything you would find on Ebay or the like. They are made to order. Turn-around time is very quick. Good luck.

Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Atlantia

Hi Stan,

Those martial arts racks are aimed at Katana and pole shafts etc.
They are great for swords in hard scabbards. So if you've got a lot of Dha or Golok or military sabres with metal scabbards etc... Then they are great and a cheap way to show off your weapons.

If you've got a lot of bare blades then they will tend to lean back in the slots on that sort of rack, You'll have to use blu-tak or something to keep them straight.
For bare blades you really want something a little different. I came up with using angled dowels on flat 'pillars'.
Here are pictures of the two racks that I made.
Attached Images

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 08:37 PM   #7
kahnjar1

Hi Stan, The subject of displaying has been discussed a number of times before and some great ideas surfaced. Suggest use the SEARCH function on the toolbar above and key in DISPLAY. There is a lot of useful information there.
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Runjeet Singh

Hi Stan,

Have a look at the image below. It was taken at Stratford Armouries museum in the UK (http://www.stratfordarmouries.com/).

It is simply a piece of shaped wood, with drilled holes, allowing wire or clips to hold the swords/daggers in place. I have seen the same technique used in museums in India.

It would mean you would only need to hang (and drill) the 'shield' and not each piece individually.

Hope that helps,
Runjeet
Attached Images

Runjeet Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 03:48 AM   #9
Stan S.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Yes, I did my research and looked at every previous thread discussing display options.

Runjit: Your suggestion is almost what I had in mind initialy (especially since Indian blades is what I collect mostly) but I am still researching my options.

Most of my swords have scabbards but there are a few that don't. Perhaps I wasn't clear on what kind of display I am looking for. I am ideally looking to display my collection as a grouping of round Indo Persian shields in the center with swords radiating around them like the rays of the sun (hence is the need to display them diagonally, as well as horizonthally and vertically). I realize that to achieve this a display rack will have to be custom made. However, I am trying to figure out if my desired configuration can be accomplished using some more conventional product.

Please keep suggestions and pictures coming
Old 18th February 2012, 02:30 PM   #10
Lew
(deceased)

Stan

Here are some of my displays in my museum room .
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2012, 02:56 AM   #11
Stan S.

I think I made up my mind... Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I'll just get me 2 or 3 of these racks and mount them side by side with some space in between. I'll use this extra space to display some daggers, shields, etc. that won't fit on the racks. Thank you all for some wonderful ideas. I hope to have some pictures up in a few weeks time
Old 19th February 2012, 07:43 PM   #12
katana

Hi Stan,
how about magnets (High Performance Neodymium Magnets) fitted to the shield shaped wall hangings suggested by Runjeet. Magnets are available that are pre-holed which could be screwed directly to the board ....many of the smaller sized ones are capable of holding 3-4 lbs ....some even more, so 2 per sword would suffice. It also allows re-arranging, simply by pulling a sword off and replacing with another. I have tried a few experiments with these magnets and like the idea that the sword appears free floating. Sorry no pics as I am still playing, I mean experimenting with them.

Regards David

Approx size of 1 neodymium magnet to load capacity...... for instance 10mm diameter x 5 mm thick, will hold approx. 2.2 kgs or just over 4 1/2 lbs
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 03:19 AM   #13
Stan S.

I consired magnets. However, because of the nature of my collection, they may not work. Most of my swords are tulwars, and the typical disk-shaped pommel prevents the sword from being flush with the wall. This requires me to have approximately 1-1.5" of clearance which can only be accomplished when using some sort of a hook.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:52 AM   #14
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan S.
I consired magnets. However, because of the nature of my collection, they may not work. Most of my swords are tulwars, and the typical disk-shaped pommel prevents the sword from being flush with the wall. This requires me to have approximately 1-1.5" of clearance which can only be accomplished when using some sort of a hook.

Hi Stan,
a solution to that problem is to have a column/post of say 1-1.5" fixed to the display panel ....and the magnet fixed to the end of the column.

David
Attached Images

Old 20th February 2012, 12:31 PM   #15
Mefidk

David - great hint about magnets, I'd hadn't considered them before. Perfect for those of us who keep fiddling with displays.

I wonder if will these also work to hold swords in non-ferrous scabbards (thinking of takouba)? Would be a good way to stop vertically displayed swords from losing their scabbards to gravity.

Chris
Mefidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 01:34 PM   #16
katana

Hi Chris,
the magnets are available in various 'strengths' and dimensions. I am certain that to 'overcome' the scabbard/sheath 'magnetic insulating' (not a technical term, you understand ) properties, a stronger magnet would be required.

As a foot note, a 'column' could also be made for the hilt end ( if the design of the guard, hilt and pommel is not easy to 'fix' that end of the sword) Or alternatively 2 or 3 'columns' with magnets attached to carry the blade so that the hilt is in effect 'free floating'.

Regards David
Attached Images

Old 12th April 2012, 06:51 PM   #17
Stan S.

I got the rack! Actually, I bought two but don't think that I will be able to fit them both on the same wall (or rather I just dont like the look). So the idea now is to have one rack as a centerpiece with some items displayed on the wall next to it. And unless my plans change, I will be installing it over the weekend. Here is a picture of the mock up I did yesterday using my daughter's bed and a tape measurer to give indication of the wall space I can work with. It will probably change a bit as I am hanging everyting up, but this should give you a genral idea. Sadly, not all of my collection will fit in the space available as can be evident by a small pile that can be seen in the corner of teh room (plus there is plenty more stuff). Now, after seeing the picture, wife tells me that it's "too much" What do you think?
Attached Images

Old 12th April 2012, 10:53 PM   #18
spiral

Nice display Stan!

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 02:59 AM   #19
Gavin Nugent

Well done, in the tradition on old displays, congrats.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 03:09 AM   #20
kahnjar1

Thumbs up

Very nice Stan. I particularly like the fact that the rack itself is not obvious. To me some displays are ruined by "heavy" looking racks which IMHO intrude on what is on show.
Stu
Old 14th April 2012, 04:12 AM   #21
DaveA

Default very nice!

Gorgeous display. Great ideas! Thanks for posting the pictures.
- D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
Hi Stan,

Those martial arts racks are aimed at Katana and pole shafts etc.
They are great for swords in hard scabbards. So if you've got a lot of Dha or Golok or military sabres with metal scabbards etc... Then they are great and a cheap way to show off your weapons.

If you've got a lot of bare blades then they will tend to lean back in the slots on that sort of rack, You'll have to use blu-tak or something to keep them straight.
For bare blades you really want something a little different. I came up with using angled dowels on flat 'pillars'.
Here are pictures of the two racks that I made.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2012, 05:14 AM   #22
Stan S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Very nice Stan. I particularly like the fact that the rack itself is not obvious. To me some displays are ruined by "heavy" looking racks which IMHO intrude on what is on show.
Stu
This is exactly the same argument I used my my wife. When she said that it will be way too much stuff to put on display, I told her that it is neccessery so that the rack does not stick out like a sore thumb. I dont think she agrees 100% but thank God she does not find the look of the rack very appealing either
Old 14th April 2012, 06:31 AM   #23
kahnjar1

Quote:
This is exactly the same argument I used my my wife. When she said that it will be way too much stuff to put on display, I told her that it is neccessery so that the rack does not stick out like a sore thumb. I dont think she agrees 100% but thank God she does not find the look of the rack very appealing either
I agree with Gavin (freebooter) with his comment of display in the old style. It looks great IMHO. Well done.
Stu
Old 15th April 2012, 12:19 PM   #24
Atlantia

Quote:
I got the rack! Actually, I bought two but don't think that I will be able to fit them both on the same wall (or rather I just dont like the look). So the idea now is to have one rack as a centerpiece with some items displayed on the wall next to it. And unless my plans change, I will be installing it over the weekend. Here is a picture of the mock up I did yesterday using my daughter's bed and a tape measurer to give indication of the wall space I can work with. It will probably change a bit as I am hanging everyting up, but this should give you a genral idea. Sadly, not all of my collection will fit in the space available as can be evident by a small pile that can be seen in the corner of teh room (plus there is plenty more stuff). Now, after seeing the picture, wife tells me that it's "too much" What do you think?

Hi Stan,

Wait till the mrs is out, then rearrange the entire room making space for both racks.
Plus shelves and items mounted directly to the walls.
I use shields to flank the racks.
You've got some really nice stuff, it would be a shame to have some items obscuring others.

Spread it out mate! Do what I do, tell the Mrs that you'll keep it in one room
Remember you'll want to be able to swap things about etc, so keep it all easy to move/substitute.

Best
Gene
Attached Images

Last edited by Atlantia; 15th April 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote