Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd October 2017, 04:11 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Sword inscription

On behalf of new member bramiam, we are submitting in this forum section the following thread, that was originally posted in the "Early makers trade marks" sticky which, by the way, for some imponderable reasons has colapsed :

"I apologise if this is the incorrect thread for this inquiry, but as a lot of knowledge seems to be gathered here, I thought I'd give it a shot.

I have recently taken an interest in a supposed late 15th century Biedenhänder that is displayed at a local museum as having belonged to a historically significant person. The sword in question is so monstrously large (84", 14 lb 9 oz) that I cannot imagine it to be anything else than a ceremonial sword.

The museum's staff were not able to give me much information on the sword - their main interest is in preserving it as an object of cultural significance. I found some markings that I thought might provide a point of entry for some amateur sleuthing.

First, there appears to be a maker's marking near the hilt. I've examined every post in this thread and googled 'till my eyes hurt, but can't find anything similar. Does it ring a bell for any of you?

The second is an engraving next to a capital "I". I believe this "I" is the last letter in a widely spaced and crude "I N R I" engraving along the length of the blade, but I'm not 100% sure, as I can only make out "I N (unrecognisable) I". Is the needle-like inscription for decorative purposes, or do any of you recognise it?

Thanks a lot for your time!"

bramiam

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 3rd October 2017 at 08:49 PM.
fernando is online now   Reply With Quote