Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th September 2016, 01:56 AM   #1
Caedo

Default Keris for discussion

I recently acquired my second keris and thought I would post some pictures. It has a type of pamor miring that seems to be somewhat unusual. The only other example I could find via google was from a 2008 post here on this forum.

Based on what I know about the previous owners, I am guessing that this keris was purchased in Bali, probably around 1999 or 2000. My best synthesis of available Internet material, however, makes me think the dress at least could have originated in Madura or perhaps Lombok. Anyone with a more learned opinion should most definitely correct me.

The individual wires making up the pamor are very distinct, and it makes the blade seem almost like it was not quite finished, the smith having stopped just short of hammering the wires into a solid piece.

My apologies for picture quality and not getting a clearer picture of the...um, handle thing. (If anyone could explain the differences between and/or appropriate usage of the terms "hulu", "ukiran", and "deder", I would be eternally grateful.)
Attached Images

Caedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 05:43 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Hi Caedo. This piece looks rather contemporary to me and i could be wrong, but it appears that it has no core. It if very possibly Madura work. Others my know better.
The words "hulu", "ukiran" and "deder" all mean hilt. I am not certain if one is any more appropriate to another, though the exact culture where the keris originates might be a guide. However, as a Western collector i don't see any difference in using any of them as a descriptor and really thing the word "hilt" is just as acceptable a term to use on an English based forum.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Jean

I agree with David, this piece looks like a recent piece from Madura, the blade has a pamor pattern Eri Wader looking like a herring-bone.
The scabbard is in Sandang Walikat style and the Madurese hilt (locally called landeyan) is in approximate Bajing Loncat (jumping squirrel) style
Regards
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 08:13 PM   #4
Green

from linguistic standpoint 'ukiran' means 'carvings.' in Bahasa Melayu (Malay) or Bahasa Indonesia... so ukiran could be on the hilt or the scabbard or anywhere else. hence ukiran is not synonymous with 'hulu' which can be correctly translated as 'hilt'.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 09:55 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Yes Green, true, however, in Javanese the word "ukiran" means "keris hilt" as well as carving.

The usual alternate word for "keris hilt"in Javanese is "jejeran".
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 11:34 PM   #6
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

It appears to me that this keris had to have been heavily etched to bring out such topography.
This brings me to the question of how one element of the pamor can resist the etching medium so well while the other literally melts away?

As a piece of sculptural art; I love it.
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 11:38 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Yes Green, true, however, in Javanese the word "ukiran" means "keris hilt" as well as carving.

The usual alternate word for "keris hilt"in Javanese is "jejeran".
I agree with Alan here. It's all about the context of usage. Ukiran is certainly an acceptable word for a keris hilt regardless of its precise literal meaning. We also cannot look to current Bahasa Indonesian for definitions since these words in keris context generally come from old Javanese as a source. Hulu, in Bahasa Indonesian, translates as "upper," "upstream", "head" or "headwaters". You will not find a translator that gives its definition as "hilt". Still, it too is an acceptable word for hilt in the context of keris discussion, especially amongst collectors who recognize that usage.
But there is no particular arcane or occult knowledge to be gained through the use of any of these words as for as i can see and as i stated before, on an English speaking forum the word "hilt" is probably the most appropriate word to use when trying to describe a "hilt". Of course keris collectors will recognize any of these other words to mean "hilt" as well and in the end the purpose of understanding language is so that we can all understand each other.
There are, of course, certain keris terms that i find it best to use the Javanese words for simply because there are no easy ways to describe those parts in English. So terms like gonjo (ganja), gandik, sogokan, tikel alis, sekar kacang, greneng, pendok, mendak, etc. are all words i tend to employ since they accurately describe what i am talking about in the least amount of words.
Old 1st October 2016, 12:16 AM   #8
Caedo

Many thanks to all for the information. I had accidentally made the connection between the words ukiran and carving, since the searches I had done for "ukiran" tended to show elaborately carved hilts. Likewise, searching for "hulu" tends to bring up pictures of mostly Bugis hilts, and "deder" pulls up what I think of as the generic Javanese hilts that I see on most keris. All of that made me reluctant to use any of those terms without more information.

My assumption was that the keris had been purchased new in 2000, in spite of the obligatory assurances that it was ancient.
Caedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 03:56 PM   #9
Battara
EAAF Staff

I'm with you Rick, may not be traditional, but it is art, and I love it too...
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2016, 04:26 PM   #10
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I'm with you Rick, may not be traditional, but it is art, and I love it too...
It is indeed "art", but i don't particularly love it. Such is the way with art.