Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd November 2015, 05:19 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Another Fascinating Piso Podang

Again, as many of you know, I am fascinated by pieces that exhibit the clearly phenomenal expanse of trade done in the Islamic world pre-20th century, and this piece is another nice example!

Here is an old piso podang, likely 19th century with a very rare and fine hippo ivory hilt and a better than typical Persian trade blade of good contrast Persian wootz steel and remnants of gold koftgari to the spine.

It is very unusual among Indonesian and Malay imported blades of this type that the blade would not be cut down to a more comfortable size for that area of the world, but in this case the blade has not been cut down, or apparently altered at all.

The scabbard is simple, two very thin slabs of wood, and apparently was once held together by 1/2in. wide bands of some sort, all of which are now missing.

Once I have had a chance to properly clean and etch the blade, with perhaps, a new scabbard more worthy of it, I will post the results.

Interesting piece, and "right down my alley" in collecting interests.

Dimensions:
Overall length: 38in.
Blade length: 33in.
Blade width at the widest point: 1.25in.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 06:48 PM   #2
Sajen

Fascinating sword! Congrats!
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Battara
EAAF Staff

Agreed!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 08:16 PM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Charles, what an interesting as well as beautiful sword. Do you think that the wooden scabbard could possibly be the core of the original scabbard with the original cover long missing and then having been replaced by bands at a later point in time? Either way congratulations on acquiring this very unusual sword.

Best,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:45 PM   #5
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert
Hello Charles, what an interesting as well as beautiful sword. Do you think that the wooden scabbard could possibly be the core of the original scabbard with the original cover long missing and then having been replaced by bands at a later point in time? Either way congratulations on acquiring this very unusual sword.

Best,
Robert
It is certainly a possibility Robert. The wood is, indeed, rawer than one might expect. I am going to have a more traditional scabbard made for it.
Old 20th January 2016, 05:34 PM   #6
CharlesS

I wanted to revisit this piece after the blade had been polished by fellow forumite Phil Tom, who also built a Malay style scabbard for it. The wootz turned out beautifully with a nice contrast.

This is most definitely a ceremonial piece. The long blade and small hilt make the balance awful, and my impression is that any really heavy strike would break the blade out of the hilt, or break the hilt.

This is no doubt a piso podang style hilt, and mixed with a Persian "Assad Allah" type trade blade. The cross cultural mix is my greatest interest.
Attached Images

Old 20th January 2016, 07:10 PM   #7
Sajen

Hi Charles,

again, a most fascinating sword and Philip Tom has done a very good job!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote