Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st September 2006, 09:58 AM   #1
Flavio

Question HELP!!! IS THIS TULWAR GOOD OR FAKE???

Dear all, i need your help! I have bought this tulwar, the first and i know nothing of indian arms (i have bought Lord Egerton's book, but at this moment i'm reading Cato's book ). Seems to me a strange thing: the scabbard seems a very worn item, but the blade, even if hand forged and with some pitting of rust, give me a strange feeling The brass handle is nice, but when you look at this in the side view, you see the line of conjunction (but, if i'm not wrong, the indian steel hilt are made from one piece , but maybe i'm wrong!?!). So please help me to understand what i have here. Thank you for the help
Attached Images

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2006, 03:36 PM   #2
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Hi Flavio, it looks like someone cleaned the living daylights out of this sword .
It's not unusual to see a seam on some of these hilts; I couldn't speak to its age after a cleaning like that .
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2006, 03:37 PM   #3
ariel

Tough to be decisive when one can rely only on the pics, but...
The scabbard looks quite good, even better than most of the usual "tulwar" scabbards.The material (leather) is orders of magnitude better than the usual canvas or cheerful flowered fabric.
The sword itself looks simple: the pommel is plain. However, the general contour is quite pleasing and clean. The blade doesn't look " 18th century" but it is not of a "touristy" quality either. I have seen touristy tulwars with brass handles: they had very thin and weak blades. This one looks quite functional.
I would guess it is not a fake or a touristy item, but a functional tulwar of the fist half of the 20th century.
Disagreements, anyone?
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2006, 03:48 PM   #4
Flavio

Thank you Rick and Ariel. I'm happy if this isn't a fake!! Indeed the blade is quite heavy and the spine is also quite thick (45 mm). Moreover there is a false edge that in the 5 -6 cm near the point is sharp. What do you think if i clean the blade from the rust and than etch a little the blade, in order to see if there is at least a hardened edge?
Old 1st September 2006, 04:12 PM   #5
katana

What a shame that any patina that was on the blade has been removed. I like the hilt, could it be alittle older than the blade...re-hilted?.
Seeing as the blade has probably been thoroughly cleaned I suspect an etch would be on my 'to do list'
The comments on the scabbard are well founded.....looks alot more 'business-like' than my examples, ...very nice
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2006, 05:55 PM   #6
B.I

tulwars hilts come in various different constructions, including a seam along the side, so i dont have a problem with it at all.
i would go along with ariels assessment in dating. the hilt is definately 'late' but this could mean end of 19th and well into the 20thC.
i had an identical blade on a sword, and i dont feel the markings a result of over-cleaning. i think the blade also is late, and with the shape, an attempt to replicate an earlier style. mine too had a look of being 'cut' out (no fullers) which definately bodes for a late date, possibly even later than the first half of the 20thC. mine too had the same scuffs along the blade.
the scabbard, as noted, has some age, and the way the bottom mount sits, i dont believe they went together.
but, i also dont believe this sword to be modern, so early to mid 20thC is a good guess.
an etch is a good idea, but dont get your hopes up. i didnt think mine could possibly be wootz from the overall look, and had it confirmed on a test.
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2006, 06:01 PM   #7
Flavio

Thank you very much Brian. Wootz at least i hope in an hardened edge. If i find it maybe i can considered this tulwar quite decent
Ah, the scabbard mounts fit in good way, but there is a sort of cut see pics.
Regards
Attached Images

Last edited by Flavio; 1st September 2006 at 06:16 PM.
Old 2nd September 2006, 12:11 AM   #8
FourBlades

Default Etching?

I am a new collector, can you describe the solution and procedure for etching a sword? I think I read that Keris are cleaned and etched using an arsenic/citric acid solution? I also realize that doing anything other than conservation to a good sword is usually not advised. If this has been covered before, maybe someone can point me to it.

Thanks,

John
FourBlades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2006, 02:20 AM   #9
Lew
(deceased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBlades
I am a new collector, can you describe the solution and procedure for etching a sword? I think I read that Keris are cleaned and etched using an arsenic/citric acid solution? I also realize that doing anything other than conservation to a good sword is usually not advised. If this has been covered before, maybe someone can point me to it.

Thanks,

John
Hi John

Your question does not fit into this thread? May I suggest you do a search on our forum and you will find threads on etching swords. Ferric chloride solution 3 parts water 1 Ferric chloride will do fine or you can use vinegar.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2006, 12:40 PM   #10
Flavio

Ok, it's time to show you what i have found etching the blade. What do you see? i'm not sure, but first the semicircular sign it's very strange on the rest of the blade seems to show a lamination or not?
Attached Images

Old 2nd September 2006, 01:43 PM   #11
Lew
(deceased)

Flavio

That is a nice sword but I don't think it's laminated in the true sense. I think it may be shear steel or double shear steel which is made by stacking blister steel and reforging it to refine the grain it often resembles a linear damascus pattern. This type of steel was common in the late 1800s and exported from England all over the world. Below is a a pic of a double shear steel blade notice the linear pattern.

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2006, 02:02 PM   #12
Flavio

Yes Lew, it's clearly the same steel. Thank you very much, i think that i can be quite happy with this tulwar. Thanks again
Old 2nd September 2006, 07:39 PM   #13
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Hi John

Your question does not fit into this thread? May I suggest you do a search on our forum and you will find threads on etching swords. Ferric chloride solution 3 parts water 1 Ferric chloride will do fine or you can use vinegar.

Lew
Good adivice since different cultures used different acids for different color and etching effects.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2006, 09:17 PM   #14
Flavio

Hi all! I have contacted the seller to ask him if he knows something more about this sword. He told me that this was brought back from India during the 2nd World War from his grandfather. I don't know if this story is true, but in any case it fits quit good with all is emerged from the thread. Thanks to all for the help