Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st September 2011, 08:55 PM   #31
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
This club finished on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1706847312...84.m1423.l2649

Origin could be many places but could also be related to the clubs in this link.

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/vi...lock%20Club%22

37cm long and 400g much the same as many knobkerry but lacking lever action. What I find intersting is that there does seem to be a tradition somewhere here? My example almost identical in form is 50cm long and 700g. Just curious!

It's a difficult one buddy.
I'd say that I've seen many similarly crude 'root ball' clubs over the years, and they've had a myriad of stories with them.
Fishermans priest, Poachers club, Shillelagh etc.....
Not to mention non-uk origins.
I honestly don't know how you'd tell them apart, short of analysing the wood.
I did think that your example having the lanyard hole was probobly not south american, but then reading through the document PDF, the 'axe' shaped one has a similar hole for a wrist strap.

Hmmmmm......
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 04:31 PM   #32
Tim Simmons

I would really like to test the wood. The last time a few years ago, it cost £100 at Kew. Sadly I cannot justify this piece with empty wallet. Got free entry with the enquiry.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:45 PM   #33
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
I would really like to test the wood. The last time a few years ago, it cost £100 at Kew. Sadly I cannot justify this piece with empty wallet. Got free entry with the enquiry.
You mean you waved a club and they waived the entry fee?
Old 23rd September 2011, 07:06 PM   #34
KuKulzA28

This reading may be of interest to those who have interest in Native American, or more specifically the shamanism in the Guyanese area from an anthropological perspective... I know it is definitely interesting to me so far.

KuKulzA28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2011, 05:03 AM   #35
fearn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28
This reading may be of interest to those who have interest in Native American, or more specifically the shamanism in the Guyanese area from an anthropological perspective... I know it is definitely interesting to me so far.

Great book, if more than a little unsettling. You can also check the links in posting #5

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2011, 06:14 PM   #36
KuKulzA28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearn
Great book, if more than a little unsettling. You can also check the links in posting #5

F
Yes, I've read the article, and I am considering getting the book as well. Guyana is a country of great interest to me, and I am always trying to learn more about it...
Old 26th September 2011, 06:40 AM   #37
fearn

I read the book, but I checked it out of a library years ago. As I noted earlier in this thread, I sympathize with Whitehead for owning a club that was designed to kill kanaima. It's primarily because of what the kanaima did to their victims, and that's only because they did start stalking him before he left Guyana.

F
Old 26th September 2011, 12:59 PM   #38
KuKulzA28

I'm curious... weren't these aputu/macana around and being used prior to European invasion? So was the club both a self-defense Kanaima killer and warrior's weapon all along? How prevalent was the kanaima practice historically? I was under the impression it became more significant post European invasion... socially working as a reaffirmation of aboriginal power, spiritually as the destructive compliment to healing and life, and physically as a very cruel, torturous way to die...

It's interesting that despite the availability of machetes and guns, that they'd still be using aputu - but not much can beat good old impact weapons at what they do - crush, bludgeon, and smash!
Old 28th September 2011, 06:26 PM   #39
Atlantia

It now has its own little custom stand
Attached Images

Old 29th September 2011, 10:54 PM   #40
Atlantia

Guyana Macana Club from Christies auction. Click for full details.

"A GUYANA CLUB
Macana
Of waisted quadrangular form, finely incised ornament on a cross-hatched ground to each side of blade and flared butt, twisted cotton wrist thong, dark patina
38.5cm. long "
Attached Images

Old 30th September 2011, 05:55 AM   #41
fearn

Quote:
It's interesting that despite the availability of machetes and guns, that they'd still be using aputu - but not much can beat good old impact weapons at what they do - crush, bludgeon, and smash!
Wood's cheap in the Amazon. Why not use it?

F
Old 30th September 2011, 05:57 AM   #42
fearn

Nice display Gene! Keeps it handy in case any kanaima show up, too.

F
Old 30th September 2011, 11:26 PM   #43
Atlantia

Quote:
Nice display Gene! Keeps it handy in case any kanaima show up, too.

F
Thanks mate,

Now there's an unsettling thought!
Old 1st October 2011, 03:03 PM   #44
KuKulzA28

Quote:

F
Good point.
Old 1st October 2011, 03:13 PM   #45
Sajen

Hello Gene,

it's late but I have to say that the club is very nice!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 09:32 PM   #46
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello Gene,

it's late but I have to say that the club is very nice!

Regards,

Detlef

Hi Detlef,

Thats very kind of you, thank you

Best
Gene
Old 31st May 2012, 03:22 PM   #47
KuKulzA28

Found this photo, you guys may appreciate.

Old 18th August 2012, 12:28 PM   #48
KuKulzA28

I was down in Guyana recently assisting scientific researchers, and I spent plenty of time with local peoples, the Macushi folks in particular. Some were Wapishana. Down there, the politically correct term for indigenous people is Amerindian so I will refer to them as such.

I asked them about the Kanaima... According to one older man, they are Carib and Patomonas with special shapeshifting abilities - at night they can turn into beasts. He says one day him and other Macushis were at a logging site with some Caribs and Patomonas, and they were all laughing and drinking at dinner, but later in the night, they had all disappeared into the forest, and there was no trace of human footprint.

According to another man they (Kanaima), are river monsters that emerge at night to capture people and eat them.

According to a woman I talked to, it is a secret member of the village. If you committed a crime, the Kanaima would know, and at night, the secretly appointed member of the village would find you and torture you, before ending your life with a wooden club. If he decided to leave you in immense pain but alive, he would cut out your tongue so you couldn't reveal his identity.

That last story is most like what has been described earlier. Anthropologists in Guyana seem to think it was a form of social control, to help keep people in line. But as you can see, various Amerindians have different versions of the story, some totally unrelated to anything crime or spirituality related.

-----

As for Aputu (block-clubs), I asked an Amerindian from the Kaieteur region and began drawing it and he recognized it immediately. Before I could even finish my sketch he said I should add a stone ax blade onto the drawing of the club, and explained how his ancestors got certain stone and ground them smooth and sharp on large boulders in the river, and how even today, when the waters low you can see the areas on the boulders where the grinding took place because of smoothed out depressions on the boulders... he went on to explain pictographs, high-water/low-water, canoes, etc.etc.

So this does point to a high prevalence of stone ax/celt blades set into the block-clubs. He mentioned that he doesn't know anyone who owns one anymore though...

Quote:

F
I asked the Macushi guys down in Guyana and they said no one around here uses clubs anymore - if there is a fight, which is rarer nowadays, its with "knife or cutlass" (machete). Maybe in some more remote places they still use clubs, but all the Amerindians I met said if there's any fighting it's with cutlass. Down in Trinidad, Tobago, and Guyana they call machetes "cutlass" or "cutlash"... Machetes are pretty easy to get down here in Guyana, so it would have to be a much more traditional and remote group of Amerindians if they still used the block-club (or any bludgeon really).

Now, granted, I only got to spend time with the Macushis, and there's 8 other Amerindian groups here in Guyana: Caribs, Arawaks, Wapishanas, Patomonas, Wai Wai, Arecunas, Akawaios, Warraus... and of course the occasional Amazonian tribesman from Brazil. So it's entirely possible that amongst the nations that were most war-like, and still retain more traditions, and historically were fond of using block-clubs - that they'd be more likely to still have some. I'd bet on some Caribs still owning them.

But tribal warfare has ended for some generations, though they all have stories from when it was prevalent. It seems at most the violence is personal issues resolved with cutlass, or gold miners/bandits preying on other gold miners - but that's with shotguns and AK-47s - many guns are illegally imported from Brazil.

--------

Quote:
Found this photo, you guys may appreciate.

I don't know exactly which group this was from, but I will do more research and ask my Guyanese friends, and maybe I can figure out which ethnic group this was.

There's some chance it was a totally staged photo, but maybe I can figure out who group they're SUPPOSED to be based on the costume and weapons.
Old 18th August 2012, 12:36 PM   #49
KuKulzA28

[edit: double post, sorry]
Old 17th September 2012, 04:13 AM   #50
KuKulzA28

A very nice example I found online!