Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th June 2015, 06:11 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default Moro Barong With Real(???) Chinese Influence: A Tortoise Shell Ferrule

We Moro weapons lovers have seen barongs or every size and description and a wide variety of hilt materials and types, but this is a first for me.

Below is a Moro barong with a supposed Chinese 'chop' mark considerably more detailed than seen in most instances, but I still have no clue that it means a thing. In the past Spunjer has brought up the fact that these so called chop marks often mean nothing, but were an assumed selling device for supposedly superior Chinese made blades.

In this case the blade is far from superior, in fact, by Moro standards it is very poorly forged with a number of openings on each face. Etching produced such a horrific and ugly, blotched, result that I decided to leave the blade unetched.

Nonetheless, it is always nice to fine a barong that is complete and retains it pommel carvings in detail and this one certainly does. It also has its original, if damaged, scabbard with restored rattan.

For me the real curiosity here was the tortoise shell ferrule finished with three silver bands. I am not sure I have ever seen tortoise shell used to decorate ANYthing Moro before....so logically it made me wonder if this one, indeed, did have some Chinese influence.

I believe this example is early 20th century. The quality of the hilt is magnificent, even if the rest is average at best or below.

Comments and ideas welcome.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 01:17 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

How interesting Charles. Yeah not seen tortoise shell bands like these before.

On the chop marks, I agree with Spunger. These "Chinese" marks are like "Andrea Ferrera" on Scottish basket hilt swords - most are forgeries that help in raising the prestige (and therefore price) of the blade.

Leave it to you to find the interesting ones.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 02:00 AM   #3
kino

It's nice to find one that has a pommel that's fully intact.
I have seen a few with carabao horn spacers, this is a first time for me seeing a Barung with tortoise shell.
I was reading this at work earlier today and asked a co-worker if the mark on the blade meant anything, her response was no.
Congrats on a good catch.

A few months back I got a Kris with tortoise shell spacers, unfortunately it was missing the baka-baka.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 02:30 AM   #4
Dimasalang

Very nice!
But weren't tortoiseshells on Moro weapons done later by the mid-20th century?(Specifically the scabbards). I don't think I have ever seen any tortoiseshell used on Spanish era and early 1900 Moro pieces. But that does look like a very early piece. Just my limited observation and opinion.

Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 08:10 AM   #5
Sajen

It is everytime great to find a barong with full intact pommel. And I never have seen a handle with tortoise shell bands.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 03:23 PM   #6
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino
I was reading this at work earlier today and asked a co-worker if the mark on the blade meant anything, her response was no.

This is good to know, Kino.
Old 18th June 2015, 03:33 PM   #7
kino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimasalang
Very nice!
But weren't tortoiseshells on Moro weapons done later by the mid-20th century?(Specifically the scabbards). I don't think I have ever seen any tortoiseshell used on Spanish era and early 1900 Moro pieces. But that does look like a very early piece. Just my limited observation and opinion.

Thanks Dimasalang, you have jogged my memory. I have seen tortoise shells on Kris scabbards. I know I have seen this Barung on Cecil's web-site before.
kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2015, 08:05 PM   #8
kai

Hello Charles,

Thanks for posting this special barung!

Judging from the wood (and, partly, workmanship), the scabbard might be a somewhat later replacement.

Maybe the tortoise shell was also added to an antique hilt at a later time (like mid-20th c.), possibly replacing worn braiding or silver bands?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2015, 03:46 PM   #9
CharlesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Judging from the wood (and, partly, workmanship), the scabbard might be a somewhat later replacement.

Maybe the tortoise shell was also added to an antique hilt at a later time (like mid-20th c.), possibly replacing worn braiding or silver bands?
The scabbard may, of course, be a working life replacement, but it was, at one time, far better than what you now see. It clearly had a carved 'toe', now broken away. The original rattan was in very thin strips all the way up to where you see the replaced rattan now. Keeping in mind the quality of the blade...or lack there of...the scabbard does not really surprise me.

The tortoise shell has the look of having been "born together" with the rest. The patina is consistent. The tortoise bands have been cut in extremely thin strips and fitted under the silver bands(the two top silver bands are loose so it is easy to see) and have been fitted in a way that matches the seams with where the silver band seams are on the underside of the hilt. This tortoise shell bares no resemblance to the thick faux tortoise shell seen on late 20th century examples. The colors are much more subtle than that as well.

No doubt the quality of this piece is mostly in the hilt and little else.

Last edited by CharlesS; 19th June 2015 at 05:50 PM.