Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st January 2011, 03:17 AM   #1
VANDOO
(deceased)

Talking MUSIC FOR DANCING WITH WEAPONS

JUST FOR FUN HERE ARE A FEW RECORDS I AM FAMILIAR WITH ALONG WITH A FEW MORE EXOTICA ALBUMS AND A FEW BAWDY SEA SHANTYS THEY ARE GOOD FOR CLEANING OR DANCING WITH SWORDS AND CLUBS. ANYONE ELSE HAVE ANY FAVORITES.

I WONDER WHAT SORT OF SWORD THE HAREM GIRL IS DANCING WITH.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 05:05 AM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

I have actually done a twirling sinwali sword performance with 2 sharpened Moro kris with music from this old album:
Attached Images

Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Jose, Do you by chance have any pictures or film of your performance? If you did I and I am sure others too would like a chance to view them.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 04:34 PM   #4
tunggulametung

This two from Dharmatma sure is joy to dance along depends on ones mood:
http://youtu.be/lvTgPoFdUQ4
http://youtu.be/y9-V41jFOTE

So, you're quite an audiophile I see. I still sometime swish a sword or keris to tell whether they are well balanced or not. When the overall sound is groovy with clear and crisp highs, rich vibrant mid tones and deep smooth bass (without being overwhelming), I can tell it is well-build
tunggulametung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 05:41 PM   #5
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

MUSIC HAS PLAYED A PART IN TRAINING AND THE TELLING OF TRADITIONAL STORIES OFTEN VIA DANCE SINCE ANCIENT TIMES. IN TRIBAL SOCIETY CHANTS, AND PERCUSSION INSTURMENTS UP TO THE PRESENT TIME WITH FULLY ORCHESTRATED MARCHES. MAKEING A LOT OF NOISE BEFORE BATTLE OR DURING TRAINING WORKS THE WARRIORS UP AND KEEPS THEM FROM DWELLING ON THE FACT THAT THEY ARE MORTAL. THE LOUD SOUNDS OF MANY WARRIORS YELLING, STOMPING AND BANGING SHIELDS ALONG WITH DRUMS OR BAGPIPES DOES SERVE TO DISTURB THE ENEMY.
MUSIC IS USED IN MOVIES TO MANIPULATE THE EMOTIONS OF THE AUDIENCE. IN A MARTIAL KATA OR DISPLAY GOOD MUSIC WILL ENHANCE THE PERFORMANCE. A POOR CHOICE OF MUSIC CAN TAKE AWAY FROM A GOOD ROUTINE. PLAYING MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB DURING A SWORD DEMONSTRATION WOULD TURN IT INTO A COMEDY ROTUINE REGARDLESS OF THE SKILL OF THE PRACTICIONER.
THE MUSIC IN THE FIRST MUSIC CLIP REMINDED ME A LITTLE OF THE MUSIC IN THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY MOVIE.
MUSIC IS A BIT OFF TOPIC BUT PLAYS AN IMPORTANT PART IN ETHINOGRAPHIC SOCIETY AS WELL AS IN THE MORE MODERN SOCIETY. IT IS ENJOYED IN ALL CULTURES OF MAN REGARDLESS IF THEY ARE ENEMYS OR ALLIES.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 09:57 PM   #6
fearn

Having done capoeira and maculele, I can say that it's great fun to do martial movements to music. Maculele is stick dancing, and can be done with machetes if you like striking sparks and notching blades.

Best,

F
fearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 11:01 PM   #7
imas560

a favourite for me. The "Bladed Hand" teaser for the Heyrosa deCuerdas escrima group in Cebu. Music by Kadangyan.

Heyrosa deCuerdas Bladed Hand Teaser
imas560 is offline   Reply With Quote