Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 4th May 2020, 12:12 AM   #1
NickM

Default Identification and thoughts

Dad picked these up while living in Afghanistan in the 60’s. Maybe tower percussion rifles. Although no tower markings or EIC markings and the longer one without bone inlay has some crude engravings which lead me to believe it is probably a badly made copy. One is rifled and the other smooth bore..Can anyone help with the deciphering of the written letters/numbers? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

NickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 03:36 PM   #2
Yvain

Those are djezail rifles, indeed from Afghanistan. The imitative markings on the lock are usual in the area, and indicate a local production (notably in the Khyber pass), although they are usually made from mismatched european punches, and not engraved like this, though I personally like it !

The longer one seems older to me, and might have a reused european barrel, considering it is rifled.

I'm sure more knowledgeable members will have more to say about them.
Yvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 04:48 PM   #3
Bob A

I'm pleased to note that the long-standing tradition of including a foot in the photo of a long gun is being maintained.

Beyond that, my thoughts must extend to Dr. John Watson, whose migrating jezail wound, and resulting literary career, brought into the light the life and work of the world's first consulting detective.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2020, 05:07 PM   #4
Oliver Pinchot

It isn't actually an inscription. Afghans and other Central and South Asian peoples knew the fame of European, particularly British, locks. So local smiths did their best to mark their work with Latin letters, in order to make their wares more salable. Most had never actually seen them. It doesn't appear this particular maker ever saw a lion, either.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2020, 02:33 AM   #5
ariel

That was their payback to the European swordmakers who put lines of random squiggles on their blades to imitate Arabic / Farsi origin:-)
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2020, 05:19 AM   #6
Philip

The exterior form of the lockplates and hammers is inspired by those on regulation pattern Enfield rifled muskets, which succeeded the venerable Brown Bess in British military issue in the mid 19th cent., a large number of which were also shipped to America during the Civil War.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote