Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 14th January 2023, 02:12 PM   #1
Mel H

Default Tabar axe query.

among my accumulation of Indian bits and pieces I have a couple of substantial axes which I would be interested to learn something about.
They're in good sound condition, quite simple in their design with no decorative embellishments and are certainly of good quality. The heads and spikes are steel and the handles are solid brass. Overall length is 29 inches (74 cm). They were clearly highly polished when new and I wondered if they may have been for 'guards' use.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mel H; 14th January 2023 at 02:31 PM.
Mel H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2023, 03:12 PM   #2
mahratt

Hello, Mel H
I think this is a ceremonial ax or one of those "Indo-Persian axes" that were made in the late 19th and early 20th century for Europeans who wanted to decorate their "oriental rooms with similar items".
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2023, 04:15 PM   #3
BBJW

Decorative/souvenir piece. Real ones were all steel except for perhaps a brass decoration on the 'hammer' and a screw in spike in the handle with handcut threads.--bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2023, 07:28 PM   #4
ariel

Real fighting and utility axes have wedged blades. This one is practically flat.
Agree with others: either ceremonial, but more likely for those who travel.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2023, 08:02 AM   #5
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
Real fighting and utility axes have wedged blades. This one is practically flat.
Agree with others: either ceremonial, but more likely for those who travel.

Correct. I noted a casting flaw on the brass hammer part, and a brass haft is not very useful for an impact weapon, it'd bend easily. Also galvanic corrosion of the steel parts may occur.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2023, 08:05 AM   #6
Tim Simmons

To me it looks all steel, you can see the steel showing through the gilding. Gilding would suggest a ceremonial piece. As for flat blades not being practical weapons, I have had many heavy flat axe blades of Indo/Persian form from the Sudan also axes from most of Africa. I think it quite possible to hurt somebody with this axe.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2023, 08:10 AM   #7
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons View Post
To me it looks all steel, you can see the steel showing through the gilding. Gilding would suggest a ceremonial piece. As for flat blades not being practical weapons, I have had many heavy flat axe blades of Indo/Persian form from the Sudan also axes from most of Africa. I think it quite possible to hurt somebody with this axe.

Could be. Might even be 'gold' paint. I took the OP's word it was brass. A magnet would test it easily. Still even if it's steel under the gold stuff, the flat blade is telling.
Old 15th January 2023, 11:53 AM   #8
Jerseyman

To me it looks as though the gilding on the shaft has been painted on, and not very well done. That said, I suppose it could be vertical scratching, but it seems to have that quality of bristles separating on a rounded surface to leave lines that are not quite straight. Certainly when you look at the hammer the edges seem to have worn back down to steel.
Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2023, 12:06 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

If it is late 19th early 20th century, it has worn very well perhaps quite A heavy gild or been on a wall nearly all the time. I have not done fire gilding as it is illegal. Gold suspended in mercury could be painted on before burning off the mercury. The fact that it is gilded might indicate that the may have been a prestigious item?
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2023, 02:08 PM   #10
Richard G

Are we sure it's not lacquered brass where the lacquer has been scratched or worn and the brass tarnished underneath?
Best wishes
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2023, 06:08 PM   #11
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G View Post
Are we sure it's not lacquered brass where the lacquer has been scratched or worn and the brass tarnished underneath?
Best wishes
Richard

He'll need to touch the haft with a magnet, if it doesn't stick it is likely brass. If it sticks...

It's still a sows ear trying to turn into a silk purse.
Old 15th January 2023, 06:32 PM   #12
David R

Very late period, ceremonial or made for those who travel.....
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2023, 07:23 PM   #13
BBJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJW View Post
Decorative/souvenir piece. Real ones were all steel except for perhaps a brass decoration on the 'hammer' and a screw in spike in the handle with handcut threads.--bbjw
I should have added that this axe with a spike was for a mahout's (elephant driver) use and not meant to be a battle axe.-- bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote