Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th August 2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Dave1104

Default Help in identification #1

I picked up some knives this past weekend and need assistance in identification. I will post them separately to avoid confusion. Hopefully I have added the photos in the correct size and format.
The first appears to be from either the Philippines or possibly Indonesia in my opinion. But the curve of the blade reminds me of a kukhri.
The length is 23.5" hilt to blade tip. Blade width is 1.75" at the widest part.
The handle is a nice carving of a woman's head with a brass hilt. The tang appears to extend all the way through the handle to end in the topknot of the women's head. On the back of the handle is an empty socket, possibly for a jewel of decorative piece of glass?
The scabbard looks relatively new, and is wood, bound by wire. Looks like a carving of an eagle on it under a sunrise.
My guess is a dahong palay from Philippines, circa mid 20th century?

Can anyone suggest a good reference book or web site for weapons from this region of the world?
Thanks,
Dave
Attached Images

Dave1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 04:31 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I WOULD IDENTIFY THIS AS A PHILIPPINE BOLO, LIKELY FROM LUZON ISLAND. MAYBE FROM THE PERIOD OF WHAT IS REFERRED TO AS THE PHILIPPINE INSURECTION BY THE USA BUT AS A STRUGLE BY THE PHILIPPINE PEOPLE FOR FREEDOM FROM THE OCCUPIERS IN THE PHILIPPINES. I PUT THIS SHORT EXPLANATION IN THE HOPE NO ONE GETS OFFENDED BY THE TERMINOLGY. SOME OF THE OTHER MEMBERS CAN GIVE YOU BETTER INFORMATION AND PERHAPS PIN DOWN THE AGE FOR YOU. ITS A NICE ONE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 04:51 AM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hello Dave, and welcome to the forum. That is one very nice bolo/palang you have there. Because of the blade profile I do believe that this is from Pampanga "a province of central Luzon" and chances are it could date to the late 19th to early 20th century. The carving of the ladies bust on the carabao hilt is some of the nicest that I have seen. The empty socket could be for a anting anting "amulet, talisman, or charm". As for the scabbard, it is of the correct style for this bolo and it could be just in very good shape for its age or it could also be a replacement if the original was lost or destroyed. I wish I could tell you of a good book on these weapons but I can't. As for a web site for information, you are there now. My congratulations to you on your new acquisition, a very nice item that I would loved to have added to my own collection.

Regards,
Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Sajen

Very nice bolo!

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 04:55 AM   #5
Dave1104

I'm rather new at this, but can you advise whether I should etch this blade?
Dave
Dave1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1104
I'm rather new at this, but can you advise whether I should etch this blade?
Dave
I personally wouldn't etch this blade and don't think that it is laminated. Again, a very nice bolo you have there.

Regards,

Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote