Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th September 2023, 06:33 AM   #121
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thanks Gavin. The handsome guy next to Piang, the officer (?) with the moustache, looks like J.J. Pershing who took up his post in Mindanao in the second half of 1899.

Last edited by Ian; 25th September 2023 at 06:45 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2023, 03:04 PM   #122
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Thanks Gavin. The handsome guy next to Piang, the officer (?) with the moustache, looks like J.J. Pershing who took up his post in Mindanao in the second half of 1899.
The other interesting thing is Piang was well known for gifting all sorts of things, including weapons, from Lantaka to knives depending on the rank or importance of the US Officer. Could the double lantaka under Piang's foot is one such gift.
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2023, 07:18 AM   #123
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
The other interesting thing is Piang was well known for gifting all sorts of things, including weapons, from Lantaka to knives depending on the rank or importance of the US Officer. Could the double lantaka under Piang's foot is one such gift.
Could be. The two lantaka are a matched pair with the external spiral grooves going in opposite directions. They look old but perhaps still serviceable. They would have made a handsome gift for an American officer. Piang was an astute reader of people, but I doubt he would have foreseen that Pershing would become a four star General and hold the position of General of the Army!
Old 26th September 2023, 09:21 AM   #124
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Could be. The two lantaka are a matched pair with the external spiral grooves going in opposite directions. They look old but perhaps still serviceable. They would have made a handsome gift for an American officer. Piang was an astute reader of people, but I doubt he would have foreseen that Pershing would become a four star General and hold the position of General of the Army!
It was noted lantaka were only for Generals.

I suspect Taft probably took some fine things home with him after his introduction with Piang.

Junior officers were not left out either, they received Chickens most commonly.
Old 29th September 2023, 01:57 AM   #125
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Could be. The two lantaka are a matched pair with the external spiral grooves going in opposite directions.
Ian, is a "Matched" pair the correct lens where that lantaka is concerned?

The barrels are joined by an integral central rib running front to back, and are retained in a single pivot and articulation. I only see a single double barreled Lantaka.
Old 30th September 2023, 11:58 AM   #126
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Nugent View Post
Ian, is a "Matched" pair the correct lens where that lantaka is concerned?

The barrels are joined by an integral central rib running front to back, and are retained in a single pivot and articulation. I only see a single double barreled Lantaka.
Hi Gavin,

Yes, it is a double lantaka (two complete lantaka joined together), which I noticed at the time I made my post. They were not two lantaka that were plain, looked alike, and got married. They were actually designed and made to be a complementary pair (i.e., "matched"), albeit joined together into a single entity.
Old 30th September 2023, 01:09 PM   #127
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Hi Gavin,

Yes, it is a double lantaka (two complete lantaka joined together), which I noticed at the time I made my post. They were not two lantaka that were plain, looked alike, and got married. They were actually designed and made to be a complementary pair (i.e., "matched"), albeit joined together into a single entity.
Thanks Ian,

I struggle with the terminology personally. (INSERTING BROKEN SHRUG EMOJI)
Old 16th November 2023, 01:40 AM   #128
Gavin Nugent

Another for reference.
Attached Images

Tags
garuda kris